Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Years Day Dinner

Options
  • 27-12-2014 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi guys,
    Can anyone help me?? Am having the In laws over for New Years Day Dinner & want to impress them with a nice Dinner. What is traditionally cooked for New Years Day Dinner?? They don't eat Poultry so that's not an option?? Any ideas.... HELP!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It is very hard to advise you as we do not know the food preferences of you & your guests. Also, we do not know your budget or competency in the kitchen.

I would suggest that you take a look in The Cooking Club forum & check out the recipes which are listed by category in a stickied thread. Select what you want to cook & by all means come back here & ask for advice if you have any questions.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Don't think there is a traditional NY's day dinner in Ireland. I am Scottish and our traditional dinner for NY is steak pie made with puff pastry.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

we always went to my husbands aunt for NY Day meal. It was always the same:-

Vegetable soup
    Boiled Ham with Parsley Sauce. Boiled Pots, carrots, peas
    Gooseberry pie and custard.
    No idea if it was a tradition for Yorkshire (but anything is better than hot pork pie with mint sauce and mushy pies - yeuch!)

Whilst the fare was plain (and after the excesses of xmas perhaps a more simple meal is always a good idea on NY Day -this menu was not a fun menu).

Anyway - have consulted my Corden Bleu and my Mrs Beetons - both only really make reference to NYE and buffet menus - nothing for the day after.

I would suggest you have think about where the guests are travelling from (local or wedged in the car for a couple of hours) and how it would feel being laden down with food if you stuff them full of something. Did they party hard the night before and will they have delicate stomachs the day after.... you could make it a help yourself type dinner - let the guests decide how much they want to scoff.

Chilli / Curry with Rice / Sides and Cheesecakes
    Hamburgers and salad - I love salad at this time of year. Feel brave and barbecue outside whilst all bundled up - great fun.
    Pie and Mash / Sausage and Mash and simple dessert.

But you know your dinner guests, so you need to be the best judge as to whether formal / informal is the way to go.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

You cant go wrong with fish. By new years, people are sick of heavy rich food - they want something lighter (and no more pig meat)

Nothing farmed of course - some monkfish or hake or cod. Maybe even a fish pie with smoked haddock. Keep it simple too - home made chips and pureed peas are a treat!

People always feel good after a fish dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

I'm in the same situation OP I'm doing french onion soup for starter, braised blade of beef with braised red cabbage and celeriac puree for main and dessert platter of apple crumble(in little ramekins) with vanilla ice cream and pistachio crumb and fresh fruit swiss roll with creme anglaise. The good thing is EVERTHING can be prepared in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Among our traditions was a family visit to a friend who always had the same menu on New Years:
    her excellent home-made lasagna, fresh coleslaw, and garlic bread.

This has the significant advantage that you can get it all ready well ahead of time.

Fresh, wholesome, cheap, and a nice change from the usual seasonal food!

If I may add, don't forget a few nice touches like fresh flowers, crisp napkins, and your bathroom given a bit of extra sparkle: these things make an impression!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

(and no more pig meat)

What.

:pac:

Fish could be a good 'un but people who don't like fish, REALLY don't like fish, in my experience. Know your audience, OP. :)

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    What.

:pac:

Fish could be a good 'un but people who don't like fish, REALLY don't like fish, in my experience. Know your audience, OP. :)

Yeah after Christmas, many people are sick of pig meat. Between Xmas day bacon/ham and rashers on top of the turkey and regular full Irish frys from Mammy and cocktail sausages down the pub and cooked ham sandwiches at the relations etc etc
    (PS. I am not Jewish)

People that do not like fish should be shown the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Nigella's Feast has lots of complete menus and I'm almost sure there's a New Year's Day one in there. If I were you I'd do tapas or meze style- get some nice breads, dips, cured meats and cheeses and a few salads. That way people can eat as much or as little as they like, it's totally different to traditional Christmas fare that everyone is by now sick of, and you can choose to buy premade stuff from a deli or make stuff yourself as you like.

We're entertaining on nyd this year and we're having a pizza party- making a big batch of dough and setting out lots of toppings and cheeses and letting people make their own pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

We're doing seafood risotto with prawns and clams and scallops and possibly squid. Yum.

• Advertisement

nosietoes wrote: »
    We're doing seafood risotto with prawns and clams and scallops and possibly squid. Yum.

That sounds heavenly, can I come round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

nosietoes wrote: »

I would love this but I know my oh and a few friends would not physically be able to get it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

Will you all have been at a party the night before? Might have had enough of pastry and so on from the hors d'oeuvres and canapés.

What about a Thai curry or a lamb korma, or stroganoff?
    Something creamy but not super heavy might be a nice comfort. Can do it with steamed rice or noodles. Lots of veg and it can be a winner.

Otherwise you can never go wrong with a roast joint or beef or lamb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Leg of irish lamb. It's at its peak of flavoursome loveliness at this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

People that do not like fish should be shown the door.

I like fish but don't really care if people don't. Different strokes and all.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I like fish but don't really care if people don't. Different strokes and all.

It was a joke.

Advertisement