Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Front wheel knocking on bumpy roads

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Gosub wrote: »
    By no means an expert here, so bear with me. :)

Could that noise be caused by droplinks?

Could be.

I had the same issue as you and it turned out to be a failed strut mount. Open your bonnet and see if they look different (one sticking out more than the other, ripped rubber, moving up when you push down on the car)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Will check the strut mounts today? What's the best way to check drop links without a pry bar? Mechanic changed the passenger side drop link when I left it in first have all,he should have changed both of them no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

When I'd a knocking noise a while ago I couldn't pin point, I drove the car up on ramps so as the weight of the car was still on the parts and I lay under the car while I got someone to push the car up and down. It was the only way I could find the problem part.

So I just had a quick look at strut mounts under the bonnet and they look ok to me!
    While the car was parked the rocked the wheels forward and back and there was movement and I could here the knocking, the knocking occurred when I moved both wheels,does this narrow things down lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

FixitFelix wrote: »
    So I just had a quick look at strut mounts under the bonnet and they look ok to me!
    While the car was parked the rocked the wheels forward and back and there was movement and I could here the knocking, the knocking occurred when I moved both wheels,does this narrow things down lads?
    You need to have someone else rock the car while you put your hand on the different rubber boots covering the balljoints in the front suspension, any movement will become apparent, turn the wheel back and forth and check tie rod end at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭greasepalm

are these your suspension arms?thinking bushes maybe gone as that would let wheel move forwards and backwards.

greasepalm wrote: »
    are these your suspension arms?thinking bushes maybe gone as that would let wheel move forwards and backwards.
    Will have a look after work to see if they are the same wouldn't be able to tell of hand

Finally got this sorted:-) turns it it needed a bit if with to get rid of the knocking
    wishbone bushes both sides
    balljoints both sides
    driver side drop links

So after a month the problem has finally been sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Finally got this sorted:-) turns it it needed a bit if with to get rid of the knocking
    wishbone bushes both sides
    balljoints both sides
    driver side drop links

So after a month the problem has finally been sorted
    so your mechanic missed all of these???
    Did front roll bar bushings on mine (well got em done, lazy like) but the noise they were making was bad enough. Went for poly bushes, big improvement on worn out factory ones. Did the rears myself with standard bushes and passenger drop link meyle hd.
    Like a new car, bring on the snow ;-)

so your mechanic missed all of these??? Did front roll bar bushings on mine (well got em done, lazy like) but the noise they were making was bad enough. Went for poly bushes, big improvement on worn out factory ones. Did the rears myself with standard bushes and passenger drop link meyle hd. Like a new car, bring on the snow ;-)

I don't think he even looked to be honest won't be using him again, ye the driving is improved, alot tighter on the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭greasepalm

you would be surprised how little wear it had to make car feel giddy on road,try driving some of the older 7 year old vws with the old rear suspension bush gone when meeting a speed ramp lol

Advertisement