Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody been to Tokyo?

• 08-01-2014 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I have never been but I was considering going sometime this year. I wanted to know have you been and what did you think of Tokyo.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 theselongdays

Hi,

I have never been but I was considering going sometime this year. I wanted to know have you been and what did you think of Tokyo.

Thank you for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Yeah.

I was there in 03 for 2 nights. Stop over on my way from Heathrow to Perth.

Very exciting city. Expensive though. I personally loved the local cuisine, but in saying that, don't assume it's only noodles, sushi and terriaki on offer, you're never far away from western food either.

Japanese people were extremely friendly Imo, we were lucky enough to have been put up by a pal from home who showed us around around etc.

Definitely one of the best cities I've been to. Weird at times, don't get me wrong, but great too.

Actually that's a lie.

Nope. Never been.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Just watch out for Godzilla and you should be grand.

Also, be careful of racial and cultural stereotyping.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Drifted in it for while. Met some douche from the yakuza and bet him in a race around the mountain. Took his girlfriend too and met some baldy bloke in a muscle car aswell.
    He was pretty cool though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Yeah.

Very exciting city. Expensive though. I personally loved the local cuisine, but in saying that, don't assume it's only noodles, sushi and terriaki on offer, you're never far away from western food either.

Japanese people were extremely friendly Imo, we were lucky enough to have been put up by a pal from home who showed us around around etc.

Definitely one of the best cities I've been to. Weird at times, don't get me wrong, but great too.

Actually that's a lie.

Nope. Never been.
    Best post I've ever seen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

It's an amazing city you should go. Just bring a lot of money with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

They drive on the same side of the road as us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

My brother works in Tokyo occasionally.

Me and him don't speak so I can't tell you anything about it, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

My ex boyfriend has.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yeah.

Actually that's a lie.

Nope. Never been.

First time in my life I've been inspired to quote Dustin:

WHE WHE WHE GOWAN YE GOOD THING!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Been there twice. Most exciting city in the world in my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

It's incredible

easily some of the best fun I've had, there's so much to see, so much to do, and you'll just have a truly amazing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭darrcow

no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Yes. I left my heart in Tokyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yes. I left my heart in Tokyo.

Maybe the OP will be nice and pick it up for ya?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Show some love for the other forums. Moved to Travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

was in Japan for 6 weeks in 2005.
    Was visiting my sister who was doing the Jet Program.

Went all over place. From Morioka in the north to Nagasaki in the South and everywhere in between.

Also got to climb Mt Fuji.

Best holiday ever!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I was there for a week. It was grand except I was travelling with my Korean friend and her aunt who dragged us out of bed at 6 into the rush hour traffic of Tokyo which is kind of scary to race from one tourist site to another. Once we ditched the mad aunt it was ok but we had to pretend to have diarrhoea to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

Fantastic place. The people there are lovely, very friendly. It's so different to what you'd be used to over here, a real experience.

A lot of restaurants have the different food items in plastic form outside. As next to nobody speaks english you point at the pictures or models of the food and cross your fingers.

Go to the Tsukiji fish market when it opens, you get to see people bidding thousands on tuna and all kinds of weird seafood.

All night karaoke. We skipped our train home and decided to do karaoke and beers until they started up again in the morning.

For shopping you've got Shinjuku, Akihabara and Shibuya. There was one skyscraper that had a five a side pitch on the roof near Shibuya. You can also see where they filmed that scene in Lost in Translation.

For culture there's the Imperial palace, but I'd recommend taking the bullet train to Kyoto and then on down to Hiroshima.

If you want to come back with a nice glow head up north of Tokyo for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Dyslexic people go to kyoto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

this thread may as well be in AH its full of smart arses.ffs will someone give the op a decent answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I thought this was AH! Sorry OP I got lost :-)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Great city, well worth experiencing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lc180

There is a great thread from 2012 that is well worth a read!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056696321

I'm planning a trip myself for this Oct/Nov. Turkish Airlines and SAS seem to have some really good deals on flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Good spot, I'd love to go back to Japan. Expensive, but not ridiculous.
    Only place where you can stand on the street and see 3 McDonalds at the same time

Advertisement