Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

There's info on doing it HERE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cale

Cheers.

But I read elsewhere that Apple plugged that exploit a good while ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Cale wrote: »
    Cheers.

But I read elsewhere that Apple plugged that exploit a good while ago...

When you were on that page did you have see this: http://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/iphone_unlock.php?aff=devboot

I'm afraid I know nothing about them but I just put in a 4S on Meteor and it came up as costing £119 so it could work out expensive enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cale

pbarr wrote: »
    When you were on that page did you have see this: http://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/iphone_unlock.php?aff=devboot

I'm afraid I know nothing about them but I just put in a 4S on Meteor and it came up as costing £119 so it could work out expensive enough.

Ah yeah, but I'm not going through the likes of those...

I was just wondering if there was an alternative to ultrasn0w or something like that. :)

Thanks though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

My head is done in. Can anyone help? Some tweak or app I've downloaded keeps licking me out of any sites in logged into on safari and chrome. Constantly having to log back in is beyond frustrating

I know you guys don't know what I've got tweak/app wise(not that many funnily enough) but I've had enough of having to log back in.

Anyone able to suggest what it might be?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

david75 wrote: »
    My head is done in. Can anyone help? Some tweak or app I've downloaded keeps licking me out of any sites in logged into on safari and chrome. Constantly having to log back in is beyond frustrating

I know you guys don't know what I've got tweak/app wise(not that many funnily enough) but I've had enough of having to log back in.

Anyone able to suggest what it might be?

Thanks in advance.

The only way you can figure it out is to delete the last one you downloaded and see if it helps, if that doesn't work keep deleting until you find the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭whellman1030

culabula wrote: »
    These Gevey SIMs as per my research of the past two days are very hit and miss.

All Irish networks will unlock iPhone either by paying up front or at the end of your contract.

O2 Ireland will unlock on request.

You can buy an unlocked iPhone 5 here: store.apple.com/ie

Thanks.

Let me improve this information. Just called the 3 network and they say that in a bill plan they only unlock at the end of the contract.

On a pay as you go plan, I have to top up and spend 130 euros first, then I receive the unlocking code for free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

naasrd wrote: »
    The only way you can figure it out is to delete the last one you downloaded and see if it helps, if that doesn't work keep deleting until you find the culprit.

Thanks. Figured it out. I had private browsing switched on. It kicks you out to prevent anyone punking you. Which is pointless given it remembers and automatically enters your login details.
    Sorted now anyways.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pigglesx

I am in no way technical minded so I need a bit of help here, I have bought a second hand iphone 5 on 6.1.4 bit it's locked to Vodafone and is a pay as you go can I unlock it to the 3 network (and I am on bill) and how long does it take?

Thanks in advance for your help
    Px

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Thanks.

Let me improve this information. Just called the 3 network and they say that in a bill plan they only unlock at the end of the contract.

On a pay as you go plan, I have to top up and spend 130 euros first, then I receive the unlocking code for free.

Of course. So wouldn't it make a lot more sense if you simply bought an unlocked iPhone from Apple instead going through all that hassle, expense and hoo-ha?

• Advertisement

Pigglesx wrote: »
    I am in no way technical minded so I need a bit of help here, I have bought a second hand iphone 5 on 6.1.4 bit it's locked to Vodafone and is a pay as you go can I unlock it to the 3 network (and I am on bill) and how long does it take?

Thanks in advance for your help
    Px

Normally, only the person who bought and registered it can have it unlocked. If it was a PAYG phone, then that requires that there was a certain spend on it already, typically 130€. You would need to find out if that has so far been spent. Perhaps as it was PAYG you may be able to request official unlock on foot of that expenditure.

In the first instance, I would direct these questions at the seller.

Once it is factory unlocked, you may put any SIM you want in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Three unlocked my iphone 4s in the first month i bought it. Im also on a bill plan.

Three unlocked my iphone 4s in the first month i bought it. Im also on a bill plan.

That's a new one. Have they changed their policy? On what basis? Did you pay up front? Why did they tell Whellman the opposite by his own account just recently?

More information, please.

Thanks.

Please note: there is no "unlocking code" for iPhone. iOS devices are unlocked over the air by connecting to your iTunes account on a computer.

That's a new one. Have they changed their policy? On what basis? Did you pay up front? Why did they tell Whellman the opposite by his own account just recently?

More information, please.

Not sure if they changed their policy? I just chanced my arm by asking a three rep on this site. Thought nothing of it as i assumed it was far too early in my contract to request a unlock code. Checked back awhile later and got a reply saying that the request has gone threw and that i will get a text in less than 10 days (took 3 days). Hadn't even received my first bill and still had it unlocked!

Not sure if they changed their policy? I just chanced my arm by asking a three rep on this site. Thought nothing of it as i assumed it was far too early in my contract to request a unlock code. Checked back awhile later and got a reply saying that the request has gone threw and that i will get a text in less than 10 days (took 3 days). Hadn't even received my first bill and still had it unlocked!

Very odd because it is the reps on boards who constantly re-iterate the mantra that it cannot be unlocked until the end of the contract (save that you pay it off in advance).

Were you charged for this facility?

Very odd because it is the reps on boards who constantly re-iterate the mantra that it cannot be unlocked until the end of the contract (save that you pay it off in advance).

Were you charged for this facility?

Nope no charge :D
    Just got lucky i suppose

Nope no charge :D
    Just got lucky i suppose

Wha? You married to this individual? :)

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

OK Guys , need some help here .
    iPhone 4s running on JB'n , now im getting errors and its like the phone is not activated , I cant activate iMessage or Facetime . I also cant restore from backup as tinyumbreloow seems to do nothing (keep getting error 3194) .
    I've read all the walkarounds and tryed everything for two days .

Anyone got any ideas ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ralph223

Hi can you jailbreak an iphone 5 that's locked onto Tmobile (UK) and use it here with O2, Meteor or Vodafone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭guil

ralph223 wrote: »
    Hi can you jailbreak an iphone 5 that's locked onto Tmobile (UK) and use it here with O2, Meteor or Vodafone

No

ralph223 wrote: »

Again, no.

But above all, good luck getting unlocked with T-Mobile, the Ryanair of mobile networks.

I feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ralph223

Ok thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭mcw92

sharkman wrote: »
    OK Guys , need some help here .
    iPhone 4s running on JB'n , now im getting errors and its like the phone is not activated , I cant activate iMessage or Facetime . I also cant restore from backup as tinyumbreloow seems to do nothing (keep getting error 3194) .
    I've read all the walkarounds and tryed everything for two days .

Anyone got any ideas ??

At work sorry so I'm not sure exactly what I did when I got an error like this. But you are trying to restore fully via iTunes is it? Try removing tiny umbrella and any jailbreak software and then do a laptop restart. Then try the restore via iTunes. Some setting in tiny umbrella causes the restore procedure to mess up afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Has a problem with lockscreans a couple of different times now. Iphone 4 running 6.0. When I select use user LS in winterboard the LS image does not change to the image selected in the general iPhone settings. This is driving me nuts at this stage! I have tried reinstalling winterboard but still not happening. Can anyone shed any light on this.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Tweak to fully integrate the Touch Pal app available on itunes as your main keyboard in ios : http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/04/04/touchpal/

Touchpal is a swipe typing app that is very similar to Swype on Android. In my experience it's just as good in terms of accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi

anyone fancy helping me, ive been at this days and read as much as i can on the web

i bricked my JB iphone4 trying to install siriport,
    so anyway i had to go restore 5.1.1, i got it done but had no service
    tried again, couldnt get it, ended up using 5.0.1
    bricked it again with Iconoclasm! so same thing again, got 5.1.1 on it, no service
    ive attempted restore a million times and am getting an array of itunes errors
    (3194, 1600, 1604, 2005, 11)
    ive read on these and tried every suggestion

ive tried stitched ispw with redsnow, i reb, snowbreeze, i faith,
    ive tried tinyumbrella during restore and i get error 1600
    if i dont use it I get the usual 3194

do i need tiny umbrella with a stiched ipsw?
    do i run tinyumbrella while using redsnow?
    im getting errors in redsnow as well if i try use that (invalid ipsw, cannot find stich info, etc,etc)
    whats the deal with editing the hosts, there are a lot of different opinions on the web
    ( idid try it already though)

it seems like the restores that worked were a fluke
    ive done the same thing again and nothing

my phone is on 04.10.01 5.1.1, is there any point in keeping this
    it is carrier locked and always will be (the handset is a company phone from a relative who went bust)
    should i try upgrade? do i need to try keep my BB?
    what firmware is still jailbreakable? i have blobs for every version

any help much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

i bricked my JB iphone4 trying to install siriport,

any help much appreciated

Did this myself last week, a right pain in the ass!

Ended up restoring phone via itunes & re-jailbroke it again with redsnow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone has advice on a place in dublin, limerick or kilkenny that is certified to some degree to unlock an iphone 5, or is it totally an under hand operation?

The missus is moving from germany and not entirely certain if her network will allow her to unlock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I've a small problem. I gave my old iPhone 4 as a gift to my niece. In doing it this I fully reset the phone to remove all information on it, and gave it to her as new. The problem is that it is locked to three, and they are pricking me about with the unlock saying it might take weeks despite me being out of contract for months now.

I'm assuming when my niece goes to set up the phone now that it will download the latest firmware at the start (this might already be done) but my question is, what way can I unlock the phone now? Will it be possible with the latest firmware?

Advertisement