Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Never happened, me and the tv.
    Drove into town, had arranged to meet at Clerys at 10, gave him a text to say I was there and the tosser wasn't even out of bed, all the way down in Wicklow!
    He offered to drop it out to me but it had already cost me 2 hours of my time in and out of town as well as petrol so I said I'd get one somewhere else.
    Not a happy bunny, not at all!

So, I'm currently looking for a Sony 21" trinitron, with remote, somewhere on the North side of Dublin, not spending any more than €25 on it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Nostalgia courtesy of reddit
    rEkZC.jpg
    Anyone have the Monster Rancher games?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Playing around a bit on a install of Windows 8, not sure I like it. Feels a bit to much like a tablet or phone interface, which it is i suppose.

On a retro note, is it worthwhile to get a Satellaview for the Super Famicom?
    It looks cool and what not but can I do anything with it these days with the sat link?

250px-Satellaview_with_Super_Famicom.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Never happened, me and the tv.
    Drove into town, had arranged to meet at Clerys at 10, gave him a text to say I was there and the tosser wasn't even out of bed, all the way down in Wicklow!
    He offered to drop it out to me but it had already cost me 2 hours of my time in and out of town as well as petrol so I said I'd get one somewhere else.
    Not a happy bunny, not at all!

So, I'm currently looking for a Sony 21" trinitron, with remote, somewhere on the North side of Dublin, not spending any more than €25 on it either.

Drive me nuts that would, what a fcuking waste of your time and money! I recently made an offer for a Trini located on the south side and zero response so far. :rolleyes:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Drive me nuts that would, what a fcuking waste of your time and money! I recently made an offer for a Trini located on the south side and zero response so far. :rolleyes:

That must be adverts?
    Make an offer on something and hear back 2 weeks later, you gotta love it.

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    That must be adverts?
    Make an offer on something and hear back 2 weeks later, you gotta love it.

Hehe aye it sure is. I very very rarely use it and the few times I have before, luckily all went well including dealings with yourself. ;)
    I generally never keep an eye on it anymore, ebay/other sources all the way except for something like a TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

rEkZC.jpg

Don't get Sera started on Monster Rancher, she's an addict.

Hehe aye it sure is. I very very rarely use it and the few times I have before, luckily all went well including dealings with yourself. ;)
    I generally never keep an eye on it anymore, ebay/other sources all the way except for something like a TV.

I do keep an eye on it every so often. Just to see if anything pops up, like that C64 I got the other day.
    But yeah, ebay and other places it is most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

SteveSI: not really, there's a handful of games you can play offline for it but its more a collector piece really. Same with the hotel box.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    SteveSI: not really, there's a handful of games you can play offline for it but its more a collector piece really. Same with the hotel box.

Yeah, that's more or less what I thought.
    I'll pick one up anyway at some stage, just as a collectors item as you say.

Perhaps I'll launch a satellite service for it in the future. I'm sure that's economically viable, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

2012-02-28-47-Player.jpg.pagespeed.ce.yyRTne-Sih.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, he did save Mario in Luigis Mansion...
    And I'm one of the dozen or so fans of that game.
    I reckon history will rate it higher than Sunshine, and that's still a great game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, he did save Mario in Luigis Mansion...
    And I'm one of the dozen or so fans of that game.
    I reckon history will rate it higher than Sunshine, and that's still a great game.

The only reason people rated down Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin for that matter was because at the time Miyamoto wanted to make shorter games that were 'only' around 6-8 hours long but concentrate on maximising enjoyment in that time frame. There was a lot of bile and venom thrown at him at the time.

I bet those same people are lapping up the barely 4 hour single player of the recent COD games.

This time next week (all things going well) I'll be in Pyongyang.
    Wonder how he feels about it :D

I am of course talking about my trip to Korea(North and South).
    Cant wait for it :)

This time next week (all things going well) I'll be in Pyongyang.
    Wonder how he feels about it :D

Suppose it depends on the length of your stay and whether you were invited or are sneaking in the back door... :pac:

Suppose it depends on the length of your stay and whether you were invited or are sneaking in the back door... :pac:

Well I plan to go in invited, but may go off the planned and allowed course while I'm in there(if backs are turned and I get the chance that is) :pac: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

This time next week (all things going well) I'll be in Pyongyang

So you two are going out now? When did this happen?

Anyone listening to the latest retronauts? They have an excellent episode with Ron Gilbert talking about Maniac Mansion. Also they are doing a film month and have a podcast on the Mario and Street Fighter movies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also they are doing a film month and have a podcast on the Mario and Street Fighter movies.

Two words: **** Sandwich.

Unless we're talking SFII The Anime in which case we'll let them carry on with what is otherwise an exercise in futility.

Even the ****tiest films have stories behind them, which makes these podcasts so good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Listening to the beyond epic Zelda orchestral CD recently, and I couldn't stop thinking that with the right director, right budget and a sensible understanding of special effects (more War Horse than Avatar) there's a really, really epic film in the series. Unfortunately, it would also have the potential to be ridiculously camp, and I'm pretty sure Tingle would have to be excluded (although did anyone spot his fun cameo in Skyward Sword? Pop into Zelda's room if you haven't!).

But imagine: Link and Epona, breaking free of Lon Lon Ranch, and bursting over the hill to catch their first glimpse of Hyrule field while the legendary theme tune plays for the first time.

Yeah but it's already been done brilliantly:

Yeah but it's already been done brilliantly:

I want to kill the person who does the voice by beating him to death with a spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

rEkZC.jpg
    Don't get Sera started on Monster Rancher, she's an addict.
    Look how bold my Mocchi is!
    314579_2527038736783_1277863976_3069409_1963425104_n.jpg

Which MR is that in your picture? I only played MR2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

7fb502c95d9b6e5dccf8e85ced81ca711f.png

Sera wrote: »
    Look how bold my Mocchi is!
    314579_2527038736783_1277863976_3069409_1963425104_n.jpg

Which MR is that in your picture? I only played MR2.

Not sure. I just seen it on reddit and got vague memories of a game you used cds to get monsters O_o

Not sure. I just seen it on reddit and got vague memories of a game you used cds to get monsters O_o
    my dad bought my first CD and it was Greig, but when I used it on MR it was a really cute monster.
    Me and Em used to spend a whole weekend getting monsters from CDs and then do it all over again for my file and I'd still use Mocchi :P

Sera wrote: »
    my dad bought my first CD and it was Greig, but when I used it on MR it was a really cute monster.
    Me and Em used to spend a whole weekend getting monsters from CDs and then do it all over again for my file and I'd still use Mocchi :P

Have to wonder what something like Cannibal Corpse or Rammstein would get you :pac:

So I'm looking for a bit of advice on ripping a Laserdisc to a digital file.
    What's the best option hardware wise for ripping them. I like to get it in the best possible quality without spending 5k on hardware to do it.

Ideas?

• Advertisement

Have to wonder what something like Cannibal Corpse or Rammstein would get you :pac:
    There's a list here
    Wiki says "Beck: Mellow Gold is the only disk that will unlock the monster Moo, but only specific pressings of the album contain this monster. It is extremely rare to find the correct disk.
    Nevermind by Grunge band Nirvana is the only disc that unlocks the rare monster Swimmer."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement