Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I really like Neasa as an Irish girls name But he doesn't ( Bah!) so I'm throwing it out there to anyone looking for ideas.

Am now pondering Róisín

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Grawns wrote: »
    I really like Neasa as an Irish girls name But he doesn't ( Bah!) so I'm throwing it out there to anyone looking for ideas.

Am now pondering Róisín

Lousy partners :) I really liked Ailbhe and hubby nixed it too. And I've yet to hear him come up with a name!! I've told him if he doesn't think of/agree to something by the 7th month, the decision reverts entirely to me ;)

Quackles wrote: »
    Lousy partners :) I really liked Ailbhe and hubby nixed it too. And I've yet to hear him come up with a name!! I've told him if he doesn't think of/agree to something by the 7th month, the decision reverts entirely to me ;)

I think Ailbhe is lovely, I have a friend with that name ( my husband calls her elbow :rolleyes:!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Just call the baby what you want thats what i did after all you are the one going through all the pain and discomfort so why shouldnt you have the last word.Unless of course he comes up with a great name but of course youll find some way to take all the credit:DI like Willow and Mckenzie thats what i had but then i had a boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

Someone I know called their Twins Keanu(Boy) and Trinity(Girl) because they love the matrix :eek:

• Advertisement

okey dokey

girls;
    Saoirse pronounced Sersha moreso than seersha
    Grainne
    Katie (v.popular)
    Milly
    Isabelle (or issabella)
    Ava (also v. pop)
    Lucy
    Lara
    Juno (up until the film)
    I always loved Realtaín, means little star, but seems I'm the only one....

boys
    Cian
    Connor
    Conail
    Oscar
    Noah
    Harry
    Luke
    Lucas
    Evan

actually there are sooo many nice ones. I like moses too but knew one once and he was a bit of a nut!

Someone I know called their Twins Keanu(Boy) and Trinity(Girl) because they love the matrix :eek:

thats just mean :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Oooh names :) My favourite subject!

Boy names:
    Darwin
    Elijah
    Joshua (but I hate Josh, so maybe not)
    Ferdia
    Diarmuid
    Senan

Girl names:
    Alice
    Aoife
    Ailbhe
    Caoimhe
    Maebh
    Eve
    Muireann
    Caoimhinn
    Realtin
    Siofra
    Laoise

My firstborn is Emmett, if he was a girl he'd have been Ciara, but I've totally gone off that now. I'm going to keep it quiet, maybe. I'm telling everyone Ghenghis for a boy, Gobnait for a girl.

Don't do that! Caoimhinn is Kevin in Irish

Don't do that! Caoimhinn is Kevin in Irish

Not to worry, hubby hates it anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 XxkikixX

ok am lovin this thread:)

boy:
    shane
    jayden
    jamie
    dylan
    bailey

girl:
    kayla
    katelyn
    ava
    amber
    ciana(as in kee-na)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

leesmom wrote: »
    boys :
    Lee (my ds name)hence the username:eek:
    jordan(my dp hates this one:D)
    josh
    taylor
    jamie
    jayden

girls:
    lexie
    mia
    chloe
    hannah
    ava
    ella

LOL
    My friend as 3 kids and all 3 names are on your list!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

I think the name Tierna is lovely for a girl.

My sister just had a baby girl and called her Jessica Catherine. I;m so mad about her that the name seems like the most fabulous name I've ever heard even though I wasn't gone on Jessica before.

I have a Luke. I seem to remember angels singing the first thousand times I said that name too. lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭neosmaster

We had our son 6 months ago and called him : Cayden

We both love it..

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Messed Up Mind

How about Siún (pronounced Shoon) for a girl? I think that's my favourite name, something I'll be keeping for a little girl for me WAAAAAAAAAAY in the future. I'll let you have it for now though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I am very confused this time round when it comes to names.... I had my names picked and set on my other two for ages before they were born...

This time it is much harder... We cant agree on anything.
    Hopefully its a boy, because If I have a girl, it will be baby quality for a few days!!!

Oh the stress!!!

Quality wrote: »
    I am very confused this time round when it comes to names.... I had my names picked and set on my other two for ages before they were born...

This time it is much harder... We cant agree on anything.
    Hopefully its a boy, because If I have a girl, it will be baby quality for a few days!!!

Oh the stress!!!

I hear ya, we were nearly divorcing over it this time around :) We finally have possibilities, though - Senan for a boy, Neasa for a girl! Early days yet, plenty of time for more arguing :)

I hear ya, we were nearly divorcing over it this time around :) We finally have possibilities, though - Senan for a boy, Neasa for a girl! Early days yet, plenty of time for more arguing :)

I hope you got Neasa from me :) I'd love it still but hubby won't be having it. I love Senan too ( i have a friend who has an 13 year old Senan) and like Neasa it's phoetic but Irish. After carrying Gráinne all these years I know some names are a problem when you leave Ireland.

I hope you got Neasa from me :) I'd love it still but hubby won't be having it. I love Senan too ( i have a friend who has an 13 year old Senan) and like Neasa it's phoetic but Irish. After carrying Gráinne all these years I know some names are a problem when you leave Ireland.

Sorry, got Neasa from a book :) My sister Gráinne says the same - she was called Grain-ee in the US :)

Actually, funny story - they were either going to call her Gráinne or Deirdre, and chose Gráinne. Three years later, along comes muggins here and gets second best, as she loves to remind me :)

Sorry, got Neasa from a book :) My sister Gráinne says the same - she was called Grain-ee in the US :)

I used to deal with the UK on a daily basis and was called Graineee and my surname is not much better, i automatically spell all of it.

Still I LOVE my name and would actually call a child of mine that if it wasn't my name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

My sister's just called her newborn daughter Eabha Rose. Nice name.
    Now I have Ciaran,Conor,Cian and Cathal for nephews and Aoife and Eabha for nieces:rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 numacd

Quality wrote: »
    I am hoping for some inspiration here so keep em coming...
    Mia and Harrison,

I used to deal with the UK on a daily basis and was called Graineee and my surname is not much better, i automatically spell all of it.

Still I LOVE my name and would actually call a child of mine that if it wasn't my name!

I love my name too but my husband is american so I want an Irish name that will work there. Neasa was perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My name is Niamh. I live in New Zealand. Can you imagine the variations of my name I get from people? It's been nothing but trouble!

When people call me niam-huh or neem I don't bother correcting them anymore. When I'm on the phone and people ask me how to spell Niamh I say whatever way you want!

watna wrote: »
    My name is Niamh. I live in New Zealand. Can you imagine the variations of my name I get from people? It's been nothing but trouble!

When people call me niam-huh or neem I don't bother correcting them anymore. When I'm on the phone and people ask me how to spell Niamh I say whatever way you want!

I still call my sister nigh-am-huh occasionally as she was called this for years in the US:D You can call me grain or grainey :rolleyes:

I still call my sister nigh-am-huh occasionally as she was called this for years in the US:D You can call me grain or grainey :rolleyes:

It's a deal grainey!

From, Nigh-am-huh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, Niamh and Gráinne must be difficult for non-Irish people to grasp. However Niamh is becoming kinda known in the UK, ditto Gráinne (to a lesser extent). And Siobhán is relatively well known there.

The biggest nightmare, I'd say, of the more popular Irish names must be Aoife! I know a lot of Aoifes and they just give up after a while when it comes to living abroad/holidaying/dealing with people on the phone etc...!

Oh watna, you and Crumble Froo are both called Niamh - that's kinda coincidental...

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, Niamh and Gráinne must be difficult for non-Irish people to grasp. However Niamh is becoming kinda known in the UK, ditto Gráinne (to a lesser extent). And Siobhán is relatively well known there.

The biggest nightmare, I'd say, of the more popular Irish names must be Aoife! I know a lot of Aoifes and they just give up after a while when it comes to living abroad/holidaying/dealing with people on the phone etc...!

Oh watna, you and Crumble Froo are both called Niamh - that's kinda coincidental...

Yeah, we thought that was pretty weird when we found out. Before I moved here I asked how bad the whole pronouncing her name thing was in NZ. She told me it wasn't too bad. She lied!

If you're going to be living abroad at all, future parents, definitely think twice about complicated Irish names for your children!

watna wrote: »
    Yeah, we thought that was pretty weird when we found out. Before I moved here I asked how bad the whole pronouncing her name thing was in NZ. She told me it wasn't too bad. She lied!

If you're going to be living abroad at all, future parents, definitely think twice about complicated Irish names for your children!

That's why having given up on Neasa, my latest possibility is Bridget. We both like it but still what do you guys think of Bridget? I say it's a grower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Not a fan myself - I think it's too old fashioned. But that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That's why having given up on Neasa, my latest possibility is Bridget. We both like it but still what do you guys think of Bridget? I say it's a grower.

Warning: Bridget eventually become Bridie. :p

Advertisement