Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix - anyone tried it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

As you are saying that regular cigarettes contains 4000 chemicals and tobacco,ash and carbon monoxide and other also. According to health surveys the main reason of heart attack is consider tobacco. Then how can you say that electronic cigarettes are not safe. Apart from that electronic cigarette does not produces smoke that is its outstanding feature.

No I'm saying that carbon monoxide is produced along with ash as a result of the 4000 chemicals being burned which produces the smoke, which when inhaled creates the heart problems and also Cancer (mouth, lung etc.). The chances are, if you smoke the electronic cigarette, that as a result of feeding your brain, nicotine, that you will NOT quit...which after all is the purpose of people visiting this forum. There are no tests carried out to prove that electronic cigarettes are safe, after all, there is still a puff of smoke off them, who is to say what is in it!!!

Bottom line is, while you will not be smoking as much when you use an electronic cigarette, you won't quit, because you are still inhaling nicotine, feeding your brain that which it is ADDICTED to... therefore, like any drug, the only way to defeat the addiction is to quit feeding it.... Yes, it is difficult, but I can assure you that 60% of it is willpower... First, educate yourself about what it is the cigarette is doing to you physically... This way, you know what is happening when you are quitting. (ie why do I feel anxious, angry, nervous, jittery, touchy etc, the full spectrum of emotions associated with your brain being deprived of the seriously ADDICTIVE chemical) Secondly, set a date, be firm, prepare, throw out all things associated with smoking, everything...

Drink as much water as you can.... Flush your system of all the chemicals... Then be prepared for all what I call 'The Firsts'
    The first time you eat, the will be no reward at the end of it. So after this, the first time you have a drink at the pub, the first disagreement you have with someone, the first drive in the car, the first time someone sparks up in front of you.... basically all the times you would normally reach for a cigarette, be aware of them... cause if you don't, your brain will be talking you into feeding it what it wants!!! You and you alone know you want to quit... This has to be the way it is... you must be firm... If you can master all these things, and be aware of all the signals of when you are going to 'keep your brain' in check, you WILL quit...

You cannot do this if you are puffing on an electronic cigarette, cause you are giving your brain what it wants...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

Lads your dragging this conversation off topic....................I think this topic is currently on champix or should be anyway start a new tread if you wish to discuss e-cigs................

I'm currently taking champix & am now smoke free for the past 5 weeks ;)

I smoked approximately 20 per day for 17 years & decided to give the champix a go after many failed attempts, only side effects that I have suffered is mental dreams, few headaches & sick feeling for approximately 30 min after taking my tablets.

I believe that champix is not for everyone but I think if you’re serious about giving up the cigs then there well worth a go. might be worth pointing out here that champix don't just make you not want to smoke you have to want to give up & willpower is defiantly required first week that I stopped smoking I recon I could have killed someone for one but wasn’t as bad as I taught it would be now I get cravings maybe every 4 - 5 hrs if even & they last 10 - 20 seconds nothing you can’t handle. ;)

I think what stopped me getting them months ago was the fact that it was going to cost me 60 euro for the doctor & 120 euro for the tabs but I just bit the bullet & got them last month.

First month savings:
    Doctor = €60
    Tablets = €120
    Total Cost =€180

Total monthly cost of smoking = 31 days * 8.65 per pack = €268.15
    First month saving = €88.15

Not that this makes any difference but honestly I’d swear by it ;)

If anyone has any questions please don’t hesitate to ask
    Pancuronium ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I smoked for 20+ years and gave them up using Champix on 21/01/2009.
    Had never tried giving up before.
    About 1/2 way through the programme I broke down and smoked (heavily) one weekend but then stopped on Monday and haven't smoked since.

Think different methods work for different people and everyone will have a different experience. I consider myself off them for 18 months now (don't consider that lost weekend :rolleyes:)

Still think out of all the things required you really have to want to give up. TBH I still crave them almost daily but I'm so happy to be off the fkrz.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭missmaw

On day 27 of champix and off cigs 16 days. So happy with myself, and don't miss them at all. Smell turns my stomach and make my OH use mouthwash after smoking as I cannot tolerate the smell. I also can't get over what I have been coughing up,rotten, but I guess It's a sign my lungs are repairing themselves.
    Passed one of my harder challenges; smoking in the car which I was a demon for. At times I do think normally I'd have a cig now but these happen less.and less as the days go.by.
    I have cut down to 1 tablet instead of two as I found I was getting easily upset and was starting to suffer severe stomach cramps, but since I've dropped down I have had no issues.

I am worried about the first night I go out it will be a real test and how I am going to do without the tablets. Only time will tell. Hope everyone else is doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Right so,Ive read this entire thread over a couple of sittings and it has only confirmed what I had hoped,these things actually seem to work. My OH started on the pills a month or so ago and is now 2 weeks smoke free and Im very proud of her I must say.
    Im going to give them a shot too. I now feel uncomfortable smoking around her(although strangely it doesnt bother her) and I think its this that has really made decide that its time to knock them on the head once and for all. Yesterday I got a present of 200 smokes from returning holiday makers so Ive decided that Im not gonna buy anymore and look upon them as my "last fling" with the dreaded weed!!
    Im gonna go to my Doc on Wednesday and get the pills then probably start taking them Thursday or Friday.
    Im 30 and smoked from 13years old and over the past 12 years or so have been a solid 20 a day man(have cut down a bit recently though) and now I feel its my time to quit.
    Not lookong forward to some of the possible side effects(Im not a great sleeper at the best of times) but I know in the long run it will be worth it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I started on these this morning.

I went to the doctor on Thursday of last week to get them, but decided not to start until today, as when I left the Chemist I got a phone call to say my Nan had died. No way I was going to be thinking of giving up smoking until after the funeral.

Anyway, two people close to me have used these and are off the smokes (1 about 2 months, the other nearly a year), so hopefully they'll work for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭missmaw

People should definitely be aware of the good and the bad points of Champix
    Before I started Champix I read a lot into the background and came across a lot of experiences like these. I still made the decision to go on it but I went in with my eyes open. Don't be afraid to ask your GP any questions about it. Make sure you make an informed decision.

Also I use www.stopsmokingcoach.eu (free eu initiative) . Quitnow is an Android app( there is both a free and charged version, but little difference)that records how many ciggies you haven't smoked since you stopped, money saved, improvements in health, milestones etc. So far, I have unsmoked 270 cigarettes and saved over €115!!!
    I think these tools are great little motivators if you are having a bad day.

Right so,Ive read this entire thread over a couple of sittings and it has only confirmed what I had hoped,these things actually seem to work. My OH started on the pills a month or so ago and is now 2 weeks smoke free and Im very proud of her I must say.
    Im going to give them a shot too. I now feel uncomfortable smoking around her(although strangely it doesnt bother her) and I think its this that has really made decide that its time to knock them on the head once and for all. Yesterday I got a present of 200 smokes from returning holiday makers so Ive decided that Im not gonna buy anymore and look upon them as my "last fling" with the dreaded weed!!
    Im gonna go to my Doc on Wednesday and get the pills then probably start taking them Thursday or Friday.
    Im 30 and smoked from 13years old and over the past 12 years or so have been a solid 20 a day man(have cut down a bit recently though) and now I feel its my time to quit.
    Not lookong forward to some of the possible side effects(Im not a great sleeper at the best of times) but I know in the long run it will be worth it

Right so a week late but Im on day 2 of my starter pack and my planned quit date is day 13. My fiancee is a month off them today too,go her!!

Ok,well I'm on day 15 of the tabs and day 3 of not smoking and hand on heart I don't miss them. Tested myself on a long journey in the car,no probs. Onwards and upwards from here!!!
    Oh yeah,no real side effects that I have noticed as yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

Im off them now a good 18 months thanks to the tablets. Being honest the tablets were horrible I think I got every side affect from them, headaches, vomiting, mad weird dreams etc but one day woke up and just didnt want a cigarette next thing I knew it was a few weeks later.
    im not sure whats in them that does it but I went from smoking pack of 20 a day to not caring if I had one in my hand.

For months I couldnt stand the smell of smoke but now it doesnt bother me if people smoke infront of me. I do and have smoked on nights out or if Im having a few drinks, but considering I go out maybe once every 3 months I dont crucify myself over it.

The only issue I have with having quit is the weight gain but cest la vie Im comfortable in who I am. I honestly think its the most unattracrtive thing, Ive seen really goodlooking guys on the street and the min they light up ot reminds me of those nicorete ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kewlfanboy

I am on day 1 and very excited for the results to kick in within 2 weeks. Congratulations to all who have been strong and successful. I have found this thread to be more useful than the official champix sites and support programs.

Just one thing that is confusing me.. I'm from South Africa and though the tabs were covered by my medical aid insurance, Why on earth are they more expensive in Europe? It costs like R300 (South African Rands) which converts to 27 EUROS - lol can't find my Euro symbol - for a 2 week pack with 28 tabs.
    That makes is almost 5 times more expensive. Then again our siggies are also only like R30 - 3 Euros for a 20 pack.

I made my quite date for day 8 and here is to being hopeful! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TC21

Took my first tablet this morning, fingers crossed!

TC21 wrote: »
    Took my first tablet this morning, fingers crossed!

Best of luck! Im on day 21 of the tabs and my 8th day not smoking. It may not always be easy but Im already starting to feel the benefits and fully intend to stay off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

Hi all by deciding to take Champix you have made the first step in quitting cigs. Just take it one day at a time, and in no time at all you will be well on your way to quitting for good. I quit on day 14 on Champix that was 2 and half years ago now. I am a new woman !!!!!!!!!!!!. Its the best thing I have ever done for myself after 35 years of 20 a day I certainly thought I could never quit but with the help of Champix I made it and have never looked back. I never touched one since and convinced myself from the start not to mess with them. I feel and look years younger and rarely if ever think of them now. Wish I had done it years ago. !!!!!!!!! Keep it going you will never regret it.

I am on day 4 of my Champix starter pack and wow it has been very effective so far, considering that I only just started taking 2 0,5 mg tabs a day.. smoked 2 siggies today.. think I will make my quit day in 2 days or so.

I need some advice on how to remedy my insomnia, this is the only side effect that is causing me some inconvenience. For the rest everything is still fine and I feel great and still very hopeful. Thinking of going back to my doctor for some sleeping tabs, has anyone tried any that worked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 redglass

Hey all, I have been on them 7 days now and I have not experienced one side effect WHATSOEVER but took my morning pill today on empty stomach, next thing I was getting horrific belly cramps (ive had a baby and could compare to medium contractions they were that bad) then I ran into the loo and threw up. I thought it must be related to champix so i researched on line. I came across some very scary "rare side effects" like people killing themselves who were completely happy before taking, to severe depression, raging anger, hating your partner etc ... I am a bit freaked out have to say, anyone ever felt any of these things on them? PLEASE SHARE if you have...

Positives, I smoked 20 a day for 15 years, on DAY ONE I only had 3 and that was with me not even trying, I just didnt want them. I only smoked one yest which was day 6 and havnt had any today so far, my quit day is 11 so will let you know. they 100% do work, I cant explain it, I know they block receptors in your brain that craves nicotine, but how I feel is like I have just had one (if you get me?) like that satisfied feeling you have after having a smoke is there all day so therefore I just dont bother having one, I dunno if il stick 14 weeks on them though esp if I get sick more (think thats empty belly though) I havnt had any other effects (yet) no crazy dreams etc oh actually im hot all the time esp in bed but opening a window sorts that right out :) I really do wish all of you the best luck - its a filthy life killing expensive addiction and is harder to get off then heroine so be very very proud if you succeed !!! x:) Colette

@redglass Wow, glad to hear that Champix has been effective so early. Regarding the stomach cramps and so on, you should try to eat before taking them and take them with a full glass of water. That really made a difference when I started. Hope you feel better soon! Dont know why the pack doesnt recommend eating before taking them...

@kewlfanboy.. Awh thanks! Yea im delightede they are taking effect so early, but they seemed to have done so for you too which is great :) I tried to give up so many times and failed so hopefully I can follow through.. What day are you on now? Have u had any crazy side effects besides sleeping? Some people I know that are on them said after 4 weeks their sleeping was ok but I dunno how long ur on them.. Hopefully ur sleep has improved tho :p ! I took my night time one a little early tonight at 7pm with my dinner and plenty of fluids and so far no nausea, thanks for the tip :) Also doc recommended not taking them close to bed time as it can affect dreams/sleep so maybe try urs earlier??? Good luck to all xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That stomach thing happened to me only once. I usually have breakfast every day, and then a tablet, but the day after all the floods I was going to London, and there was a bit of a rush on in the house to get to the airport, so I just lashed a tablet down me and no food. Jaysis, I felt terrible by the time I got to the airport, but I forced down some sausages and toast and that sorted me out.

No other side effects as described, but a cousin of mine did have them bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭rebecca 30

Nearly 3.5 years off fags because of them , I have never wanted one since I had champix , keep it up !!!! I smoked 30 a day for 15 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Tried them for a while but the dreams were just too much to take in the end. Really strange and vivid stuff. Ended up having to stop taking them they were so bad. The worst one was I'd married a crow. Still see it lying in the bed beside me with its head on the pillow talking to me. Final straw was when the crow was killed in a stampede on the pitch in Croke Park after we won the All Ireland. It wasn't so much the crow being killed but the fact that we'd won an All Ireland which was the strangest part.

Thanks, it must just be the whole empty stomach but oh man wont be doing that again in a hurry !! @rebecca... Did u take the full 14 weeks course and did u have any side effects??well done you :) that is brilliant, exactly what I want to achieve..

Thats mental them dreams I was wondering what sort of dreams people were having on them cause everyones saying stuff about mad dreams.. :eek:

Im off them 4 weeks now thanks to Champix. I sometimes get the dodgy stomach if I take the tabs without food etc but other than that the only side effect Ive had is the mad vivid,3D style dreams. Truth be told Il miss them when I go off the tabs!! :D
    Im half way through my second pack now,Im gonna take my third pack as normal then probably get a 4th pack and slowly scale back my usage--1 pill a day for a week or so,then half a pill a day for a few weeks. Ive spoken to many people who have used Champix and based on different people saying different things about coming off them,I reckon this is a good way to go about coming off them. One of my mates said he got 3 months worth of cravings in 2 days when he came off the normal 12-14 week course of them when he just stopped so I dont know why they dont suggest coming off them gradually.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Derfil wrote: »
    Tried them for a while but the dreams were just too much to take in the end. Really strange and vivid stuff. Ended up having to stop taking them they were so bad. The worst one was I'd married a crow. Still see it lying in the bed beside me with its head on the pillow talking to me. Final straw was when the crow was killed in a stampede on the pitch in Croke Park after we won the All Ireland. It wasn't so much the crow being killed but the fact that we'd won an All Ireland which was the strangest part.

That's the funniest thing I have read on this forum! Thanks for sharing:D
    I had the dreams too, but am off the 10 months thanks to Champix. Are you back on the evils? If so, I urge you to try again. It's really worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 marlena21

My OH has had a very similar ride with Champix. Firstly, the Doc said Champix can take longer to work on the brain if you're a longer term heavier smoker. OH got down to about 6 fags a day by the time he was 15 days into the tablet. I think he felt he would have carried on with those 6 so he still had to use an element of willpower to bin the last few. I'm sure I have read similar experiences on here where people have still had to excercise some willpower to quit those last few. I don't think Champix is a wonderdrug, it takes away a lot of the craving but you still have to put a little effort in yourself to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

im on day 3 of champix
    no mad dreams or that
    i do have a small feeling of anxiousness about me
    and a bit of head stuff going on that i cant explain ,nothing serious

am gonna ditch the smokes next week hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ewanalex

Hi all,

Just an update to let you all know I am still off them and I had my single biggest test....on a holiday!
    And never once did I want one! Well that is a tiny lie, as it did enter my head, once, however i was able to decide I didnt really want one, I was thinking about the situation rather than the fag itself!

So I am thrilled to report I am finding it scarily easy! No cravings at all??!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

ewanalex wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just an update to let you all know I am still off them and I had my single biggest test....on a holiday!
    And never once did I want one! Well that is a tiny lie, as it did enter my head, once, however i was able to decide I didnt really want one, I was thinking about the situation rather than the fag itself!

So I am thrilled to report I am finding it scarily easy! No cravings at all??!!!

:D
    Well Done - a holiday was my biggest challenge too, and I managed. Heading for the 11 month mark thanks to Champix

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Started taking the Champix 2 weeks ago.

Found them more effective in the first week. (Which is slightly worrying).

Smoked what I hope will be my last cigarette yesterday evening and threw the butt over the garden wall afterwards, vowing never to touch one again.

Wish me luck !

Advertisement