Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long does an unread book need to hang around before you'll dispose of it?

• 01-10-2015 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I took a long hard look at my bookshelf last night. When I started my log, there were over 150 unread books on my shelf (and off my shelf and on the floor...). 3 years later and there are currently 15 unread books there. However, of those at least 10 have been there since I started my reading project and probably for several years before then.

I keep picking them up, reading the blurb and thinking 'well it doesn't sound horrible, but it also doesn't sound like something I want to read right now'. And of course there's new, more interesting books coming out every day, so my Amazon basket is never empty. The size of these books don't help either (I'm looking at you, Follet).

So some days I think screw it, put em in the charity box and some days I think naaah I really want to read about the tales of "five families through the world-shaking dramas of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the struggle for votes for women."

I'm interested in how other readers feel...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah, it's one of those features of life as a reader- a big pile of unread books. I like to think I'll get around to them all eventually. From time to time I forswear any new additions to the pile, promising my wallet meaningfully that I'm going to work my way through them all.

That usually lasts until the next time I walk into a bookshop...

I never really give up on the ambition to read em all someday. Even if I have had some unread books for going on five or six years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

i never get rid of it, it justs moves further from sight. Eventually to a box in the attic.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Throw out... a book?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Congratulations. Reducing your unread books pile by 90% is a remarkable achievement. I wouldn't worry about the 10 or so you haven't got around to. It is a bit like the long-term unemployed figures - they will never get to zero.

If you need to ask then you know yourself that you want to hang on to them even if you never read them. After reading so many post-Apocalypse books you never know when a terrible fate could strike and we wouldn't be living in a world full of books. Then you might be glad of the tales of "five families through the world-shaking dramas of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the struggle for votes for women.":D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

echo beach wrote: »
    If you need to ask then you know yourself that you want to hang on to them even if you never read them. After reading so many post-Apocalypse books you never know when a terrible fate could strike and we wouldn't be living in a world full of books. Then you might be glad of the tales of "five families through the world-shaking dramas of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the struggle for votes for women.":D

I might use it to start a fire before I'd read it though :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭gananam

The only time I have 'disposed' of a book was when I lent one that I liked to someone, which turned out to be the same thing in the end :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I have a pile of books that I call my hospital books. If ever I have to spend an extended period in hospital I'll read them then.

Advertisement