Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vbac?

• 28-09-2015 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Is a vbac usually encouraged? I know it will vary from hospital to hospital. Just looking for other people's experiences please..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I've only just had my first a few months ago by emergency c section and my consultant said to me several times there'd be no problem attempting natural delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Got my VBAC in April in the Coombe. There was never any issue with my wishes for a VBAC.
    I was induced at 40+9 on my son in 2012, I never dilated & ended up having an EMCS when he became distressed.
    My daughter was born at 40+4 after going into labour naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ Ben Lazy Trigger

It depends on your reason for section in the first place. If for example you had an elective section following a 3 rd or 4 th degree tear , then a VBAC would be discouraged as you would then be at risk of tear again and increased risk from previous section.
    However I believe if it was a section for example for failure to progress, then a VBAC would be encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Thanks ladies.
    I'm currently 7 weeks pregnant on my 2nd child. My son was born by emergency section at 28 weeks because of haemorrhaging caused by placenta previa. That was 13 years ago!
    I haven't been to the hospital on this pregnancy yet so I haven't discussed vbac. But to be honest the thoughts of it scares the hell out of me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

teggers5 wrote: »
    Thanks ladies.
    I'm currently 7 weeks pregnant on my 2nd child. My son was born by emergency section at 28 weeks because of haemorrhaging caused by placenta previa. That was 13 years ago!
    I haven't been to the hospital on this pregnancy yet so I haven't discussed vbac. But to be honest the thoughts of it scares the hell out of me.

They'll section you on request if you ask them after having one already.

They do encourage vbac, but it's up to you.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    They'll section you on request if you ask them after having one already.

They do encourage vbac, but it's up to you.

Thanks Das Kitty. I think that's basically what I was wondering. If it'd be my decision or the consultants.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

teggers5 wrote: »
    Thanks Das Kitty. I think that's basically what I was wondering. If it'd be my decision or the consultants.

It's always yours. They may try to steer you down a particular path, but remember the choice is yours.

I had an elective section after my first emergency one as the thought of going through the same again (or worse) was paralyzing me. I understand completely where you're coming from. I found the elective section to be a gorgeous experience, which sounds weird. But it was so calm, and no one was on the verge of dying like the first time.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It's always yours. They may try to steer you down a particular path, but remember the choice is yours.

I had an elective section after my first emergency one as the thought of going through the same again (or worse) was paralyzing me. I understand completely where you're coming from. I found the elective section to be a gorgeous experience, which sounds weird. But it was so calm, and no one was on the verge of dying like the first time.

That's exactly it! I just felt everything was so out of control last time. It was by far the scariest experience of my life. Not to mention life threatening.
    What worries me most about a vbac is going through labour and for whatever reason ending up needing another emergency section. I don't think I could handle it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

There's a really good closed VBAC group on Facebook, some got their VBAC, some didn't but all report being in control of how their baby was born second time round to be the most rewarding, healing experience.
    Great unbiased info there too.
    Good Luck x

Ms2011 wrote: »
    There's a really good closed VBAC group on Facebook, some got their VBAC, some didn't but all report being in control of how their baby was born second time round to be the most rewarding, healing experience.
    Great unbiased info there too.
    Good Luck x

Thanks Ms2011, I'll have a look for that group. I know I'm a bit early in worrying about the birth but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't niggling in the back of my mind x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm part of that group it's an amazing empowering group.

I've had a c section (emergency) two vbacs and then another emergency c section. One vbac in the Coombe and one in the rotunda. Both amazing experiences.

My request to join has just been accepted January. I'm looking forward to hearing other women's experiences.

Advertisement