Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone doing GEOMATICS (DT112)

• 13-03-2014 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello,

Anyone doing DT112 Geomatics in Bolton St ? Just have a few questions about the course!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭emmbaasee

I recently attended an interview for this degree.
    I'm also interested in people's opinions on this course. I do know there is about 26 hours of attendance required on a weekly basis, which i'm told is on the high side.
    Year 1 is quiet intensive and the timetable has 9am starts Mon/Fri i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hogg88

hi

I will hopefully be going into 3rd year geomatics in September if i pass all exams, so i might be able to answer some of your questions.
    First year isn't to intense they give enough time between projects to get all the work done. You will be in 26 hours but from 2-5 Monday you will be in kings inn park using equipment and you will have a half day Wednesday and Friday as well. Any thing else you want to know?

Hi there.

I've been offered a place on this course for September. I'm strongly considering taking the place but i have some reservations about the course.
    One reservation i would have is the type of Maths thats involved, and how much of the course work would be Maths related ?
    Would i be right in saying roughly 50% of the course work would be Maths of some sort ??
    Is there anywhere i can access the actual subjects that are on the course for each simester ? I would like to see what i'll be studying for the 1st year to see how i feel about whats involved.
    I've looked at the timetable from last year and while helpful, it doesn't go into any detail about whats being taught from week to week.
    I was also wondering whats the percentage of Mature students like ?
    Pretty nervous about going back to College as i've been out of Education for 10 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

phonypony wrote: »

Great, thanks for that. that's a big help...:)

Can anybody tell me is it essential to have access to Microsoft word and Excel at home for various projects, or would i be able to get away with using what's on offer in the College ? Trying to get my stuff organised now so i'm not stressing in September.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

emmbaasee wrote: »
    Great, thanks for that. that's a big help...:)

Can anybody tell me is it essential to have access to Microsoft word and Excel at home for various projects, or would i be able to get away with using what's on offer in the College ? Trying to get my stuff organised now so i'm not stressing in September.:)

I don't know about this course but as far as Excel and Word are concerned, Openoffice (free) is pretty much a functional clone of MS Office and any formulae you put into Excel will work the same. For any other software you don't have, you can still access virtual desktops in DIT from home using Citrix.

phonypony wrote: »
    I don't know about this course but as far as Excel and Word are concerned, Openoffice (free) is pretty much a functional clone of MS Office and any formulae you put into Excel will work the same. For any other software you don't have, you can still access virtual desktops in DIT from home using Citrix.

Excellent. Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

hi i am doing my leaving cert and was looking at the course but i dont know if i should do it
    i am good at math and i like drawing and construction i dont do geography but i like working with the environment
    is geography a must ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭27061986a

Would there be much scope for any nixer (sideline) work from a geomatics qualification?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭27061986a

Would there be much scope for any nixer (sideline) work from doing a geomatics degree?

• Advertisement
Advertisement