Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIMM vocal BA hons

• 05-03-2014 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm hoping to audition for the BA hons in vocals in BIMM in 2015 but i'm wondering, what kind of things are you asked in the audition? They say you need basic knowledge of piano, do they ask you to play anything? And what kind of vocal warm-ups do they ask you to do? Also what songs have been on the list the past few years? Any feed back would be much appreciated, I'm really anxious and excited about it, i just want to know how it all goes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 EvelynOfEther

Hey! I'm currently in first year of the vocals course. When I did my audition I knew very little about piano, just know where middle C is and you should be fine. They asked me to sing basic major scales after giving me a note, and also the thing that caught me a little bit was naming intervals on the piano, which the examiner plays and you have to say them. As far as I know the warm ups vary quite a bit but they won't be too difficult for any practicing vocalist as long as you're warmed up properly. In terms of songs when I auditioned the choices were Rolling in the deep, Fallin', Ain't Nobody, You Learn (Alanis morissette), Fallen (Evanescence), and at Last. I sang Rolling in the deep and got 526/600. Most female vocalists in the class sang At Last as far as I know, so it can be a huge benefit to sing one of the songs that might be the unpopular option, keeps the examiner interested.

They'll also ask you about your experience, what your influences are and if you play any instruments so make sure you've thought about that before you go in. I was expecting the audition to be in a live room, but it was just in a small tutorial room, a bit more intimidating but I think that's the idea. :]

If you've any more questions let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ellie_May

Hey! I'm currently in first year of the vocals course. When I did my audition I knew very little about piano, just know where middle C is and you should be fine. They asked me to sing basic major scales after giving me a note, and also the thing that caught me a little bit was naming intervals on the piano, which the examiner plays and you have to say them. As far as I know the warm ups vary quite a bit but they won't be too difficult for any practicing vocalist as long as you're warmed up properly. In terms of songs when I auditioned the choices were Rolling in the deep, Fallin', Ain't Nobody, You Learn (Alanis morissette), Fallen (Evanescence), and at Last. I sang Rolling in the deep and got 526/600. Most female vocalists in the class sang At Last as far as I know, so it can be a huge benefit to sing one of the songs that might be the unpopular option, keeps the examiner interested.

They'll also ask you about your experience, what your influences are and if you play any instruments so make sure you've thought about that before you go in. I was expecting the audition to be in a live room, but it was just in a small tutorial room, a bit more intimidating but I think that's the idea. :]

If you've any more questions let me know!

thank you so much, that was really helpful! :) did you have you have any professional vocal training prior to your audition and if so for how long? Because I've been singing as a hobby for as long as i can remember but I've only really done about four years of professional training. I have a fair amount of experience, I've done lots of gigs and competitions, so hopefully that'll go down well. Also, did your choice of song sort of fit your music taste/influences or was the choice based purely on how it would display your talent?
    Thats all i can think of for now ahah thanks a million! :)

No worries! No I actually never had my voice trained prior to that, I did a year in the BA Voice and dance before that where I had 1 techniques class every week but that was they only training I had. I did have a good bit of experience from being in a band and I think that's even more important than actual training. The theory is probably the hardest part of the course so do brush up on that before you go in. I wouldn't be a fan of adele but when I sang all of the songs that one showed my ability the best. It was between that or Ain't nobody, I kind of made the decision last minute which I probably shouldn't have done but yeah, just be prepared early. :] And if you do a song which doesn't suit your taste in music it's okay because you'll be able to discuss that before.

The main thing is that they want to know that you're confident and that you're willing to try everything rather than stick to one genre of music. The fact that you have experience is great, a few of the people in first year at the minute are only singing on stage for the first time ever so you'll be fine! :]

No worries! No I actually never had my voice trained prior to that, I did a year in the BA Voice and dance before that where I had 1 techniques class every week but that was they only training I had. I did have a good bit of experience from being in a band and I think that's even more important than actual training. The theory is probably the hardest part of the course so do brush up on that before you go in. I wouldn't be a fan of adele but when I sang all of the songs that one showed my ability the best. It was between that or Ain't nobody, I kind of made the decision last minute which I probably shouldn't have done but yeah, just be prepared early. :] And if you do a song which doesn't suit your taste in music it's okay because you'll be able to discuss that before.

The main thing is that they want to know that you're confident and that you're willing to try everything rather than stick to one genre of music. The fact that you have experience is great, a few of the people in first year at the minute are only singing on stage for the first time ever so you'll be fine! :]

Aw gosh, thank you, you're so helpful! It's nice to talk to someone actually doing the course.
    I see, wow 526 points is impressive for someone with no prior training, you must be fairly good! ;] lol.
    But yeah I'll get more lessons in both practical and theory before my audition then, thanks for letting me know.
    Thanks a million for everything, really looking forward to it now, just wish i was finished school already!

Haha, I think I was just well prepared! It can be a nerve wrecking experience but if you've any more question at all before the exam don't hesitate to pm me. It's an amazing course, that why I don't mind trying to convince people to do it haha. Good luck! :]

• Advertisement

Haha, I think I was just well prepared! It can be a nerve wrecking experience but if you've any more question at all before the exam don't hesitate to pm me. It's an amazing course, that why I don't mind trying to convince people to do it haha. Good luck! :]

thanks a million! (:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mimislane

Hey :) wondering is there anyone out there who's applied to BIMM this year? I'm dying to know how I did in the audition!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SBizzle

mimislane wrote: »
    Hey :) wondering is there anyone out there who's applied to BIMM this year? I'm dying to know how I did in the audition!!

Hey! Yeah I auditioned there like a month ago, I loved it! And yeah kinda freaked about the results, this waiting game is horrible! How did the audition go for ye? And what stream are you applying for?

SBizzle wrote: »
    Hey! Yeah I auditioned there like a month ago, I loved it! And yeah kinda freaked about the results, this waiting game is horrible! How did the audition go for ye? And what stream are you applying for?

Me too! I applied for the Vocals stream I think I did a fairly strong audition the girl I had gave me really positive feedback! I sang my song surprisingly well considering I was nervous! But I had never sung it like that before either, my nerves turned into confidence I think! I'm dying to know how I scored in the audition! It my number 1 on the CAO and it's the only course I really want! What stream did you apply for and how did your audition go?

• Advertisement

Hey Guys,

Just a heads up, when I auditioned last year I emailed them a few weeks after my audition and they sent me the results of my audition, saying that they couldn't do it automatically because of the huge volume of people but if you e-mail them they might give you the results like they did with me. :]

Hey Guys,

Just a heads up, when I auditioned last year I emailed them a few weeks after my audition and they sent me the results of my audition, saying that they couldn't do it automatically because of the huge volume of people but if you e-mail them they might give you the results like they did with me. :]

Oh my god really? What email did you message to know results? Did you get in? :)

Oh my god really? What email did you message to know results? Did you get in? :)

Any of the admin staff should be able to tell you, just send an e-mail to anyone you've been communicating with. Yeah, I got in! In 1st year at the moment and I couldn't be happier. :]

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SBizzle

Me too! I applied for the Vocals stream I think I did a fairly strong audition the girl I had gave me really positive feedback! I sang my song surprisingly well considering I was nervous! But I had never sung it like that before either, my nerves turned into confidence I think! I'm dying to know how I scored in the audition! It my number 1 on the CAO and it's the only course I really want! What stream did you apply for and how did your audition go?

The girl auditioning me was so sound and she gave me positive feedback so tbh I was content with the audition.. Number 1 on mine as well and I'm applying for vocals as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 UTLR

Hey there,
    Done my audition 2 weeks ago for drums, went very well but I am still bricking it over the LC. Any idea when we get the email from BIMM about passing/failing audition?
    EDIT: By the way, this thread could use a title change lol

Advertisement