Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phenom ii x4 B35 overclocked - vcore high?

• 17-02-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

Ive an athlon x3 435 @2.9ghz which i managed to unlock to a phenom ii x4 B35 @2.9ghz, with 6mb L3 cache and all, and i though i'd overclock it a bit. a decided to try the AMD overdrive software OC just to see what i could expect, because im a complete noob to this, and i let it do the "auto clock" test, where you leave it for some time and it works out the best settings for you.

after a reboot, the system seems stable at 3.2ghz. @37'C under full load:)
    im just a bit worried about
    A) the vcore voltage @1.366v
    B) the RAM is oc'd to 736.7mhz (4gb DDR3 stock at 1333mhz)
    C) i was hoping for closer to 3.5-3.8ghz. would it be pushing the system too much? ive an aftermarket cooler (AKASA freedom tower that chills it right down) and a CM silent pro 600W PSU on a MSI 770-G45 board. GPU is a gtx 460

*i know the thermometer reading in HW monitors are off because of the 4th core unlock. if i disable the core it works properly again. it can be safely assumed (and confirmed through the BIOS, that the true temp is somewhere between 25-37'C (which is my temp1 and temp3 reading from speedfan. temp3 is usually a little higher than temp1, and both are at ~22'C at idle)

should i move to BIOS OC now?

(sorry about the massive images)

attachment.php?attachmentid=148542&stc=1&d=1297967770

attachment.php?attachmentid=148541&stc=1&d=1297967770

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Whats the stock voltage on that cpu?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

nuxxx wrote: »
    Whats the stock voltage on that cpu?
    i never thought to check that. i just reverted back to stock settings and under load @ 100% its giving me 1.328v and idle is ~0.9v.
    seems ok then?

EDIT: stock voltages of athlon ii X3 440 is between 1.37 and 1.4v according to the internets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    i never thought to check that. i just reverted back to stock settings and under load @ 100% its giving me 1.328v and idle is ~0.9v.
    seems ok then?

EDIT: stock voltages of athlon ii X3 440 is between 1.37 and 1.4v according to the internets

I couldn't say tbh

Heres a excellent guide though

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-cpu-overclock,2396.html

From experience with intel cpus, using software, mobo buttons to perform a automatic overclock has never worked good for me, the vcore is always way higher than it could be if you did it manually in the bios

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Xonipher

Hello! I was searching for hours and couldn't find good information on how to OC my Phenom x4 B35 until I found your thread! I'm new to overclocking, in fact, I haven't even booted my custom pc for the first time yet, its still not finished but I'll finish it early of next week. This is information/data I've been looking for. Thanks for posting! I'll be posting my results for overclocking my B35 using your settings. Thanks again.

My setup,

-AMD Athlon x3 435 Rana 2.9ghz (I'll unlock the 4th core and OC to 3.2ghz) With a Rosewill Zaio Cooler/fan
    -G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 2x 2gb (4gb total) at 1333mhz
    -ATI HD 5750 1gb DDR5 Graphics card (Will OC to 5770 specs)
    -Biostar A780L3G motherboard
    -575watt Logysis PSU
    -Samsung SH-S223L DVD burner
    -Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAKS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
    -Windows 7 Ultimate 64

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Xonipher wrote: »
    Hello! I was searching for hours and couldn't find good information on how to OC my Phenom x4 B35 until I found your thread! I'm new to overclocking, in fact, I haven't even booted my custom pc for the first time yet, its still not finished but I'll finish it early of next week. This is information/data I've been looking for. Thanks for posting! I'll be posting my results for overclocking my B35 using your settings. Thanks again.

My setup,

-AMD Athlon x3 435 Rana 2.9ghz (I'll unlock the 4th core and OC to 3.2ghz) With a Rosewill Zaio Cooler/fan
    -G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 2x 2gb (4gb total) at 1333mhz
    -ATI HD 5750 1gb DDR5 Graphics card (Will OC to 5770 specs)
    -Biostar A780L3G motherboard
    -575watt Logysis PSU
    -Samsung SH-S223L DVD burner
    -Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAKS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
    -Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    got an update for us on how you're getting on with your rig?

• Advertisement
Advertisement