Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lagos Portugal advice please.

Options
  • 16-05-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Has anyone gone to Lagos surfing?
    I have booked a flight to Faro and want to get to Lagos to surf.
    I have some surfing experience.
    I am going solo.
    I want to hook up with a surf camp.
    I would like to mix 5 days 2 sessions per day of surfing plus nights out.
    I am 35.

My questions are:

There are so many companies does anyone recommend one?
    Would you just rent a car and turn up in Lago's ?
    Or would you recommend a company.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

Hi mate
    If you are staying in lagos there is a surf shop in town just up from town
    square that runs surf camps (forget the name, but they are on the corner of the street, lagos town centre is not that big). I dont think you would need a car if you are going with a company, they will do all the driving for you. There is not much surf around lagos, all the surf is in the sagres area. If you want to go on your own to surf spots get a car, if not and you are just going with a company you dont need one. Lagos is the only place in the area with decent night life this time of year anyway. Get a bus from Faro to Lagos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Price the camp but also price alternative accomo and car, camps are all well and good but they can make some pretty bad calls break wise and you'll never manage a dawnie surf with them

heres a list of some of them

http://www.surfexperience.com/

http://www.algarvesurfschool.com/lagos.aspx?id=28&sid=1

http://www.errantsurf.com/stay/Portugal%20-%20Surf%20Camp%20-%20Lagos

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

I was in Lagos last year and got out surfing one day. Cant remember exactly which camp i went with but i think it was the Surf Experience. Had a good day, got to a nice beach on the west coast for the day... plenty of time for a few surfs and lunch etc. Be sure to specify your ability level to them when you book it so that they put you with the right group. You'll have a bit of a drive to the surf on the west coast anywhere you go unless the swell is big and Luz (which is a lot closer to Lagos) is working. Might be an idea to do one day with the surf camp and see if you like it and it suits your ability level and then decide after that what to do for the rest of the week.

Heading back there myself in a few weeks so heres hoping there'll be a bit of swell around! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CastlebarMan

Guys based on that and the fact that i am on my own I think I am going to book a company.
    I will try the ones that you recommended. Staying in a shared dorm thing is a bit off putting.
    Thats for your help folks any other tips etc about Lagos would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

howre ya, i was in portugal last summer and went to lagos for 2 days, i went up with the intention of surfing but it didnt work out, there was a good number of shops advertising different surf companies around lagos, there isnt actually waves in lagos, the companies drive you up the coast to where ever the surf is goin best. if you want a break from the surfing you should try the mountain bike adventure guys, i got one day mountain biking with them and it made my holiday last summer, lagos is a lovely town and plenty to do, if you are a good surfer then hiring a car could be a good idea, if you want lessons for the week then no need for the car,
    enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

Hi I'm in Lagos next week for a week. Could anybody please recommend a good hostel to stay in there ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Are you surfing? Head west to Arrifana - there's a great hostel there and it's a walk away from the beach there.

In Lagos, I've never stayed in a hostel - I've always Air B&B'ed...

There is the Rising Cock hostel, which is a party place. Plenty of bars in the town - Red Eye, 3 Monkeys

Yes I hope to surf...

A few friends have a house booked in Lagos, so thinking of staying in a hostel in the town and travelling for surf every morning. Is this a good idea or should I stay beside beach in hostel you suggest for maybe 3 days and the rest of my time in Lagos? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Depends on what you're looking for really.

There is a surf shop on the main strip which does day trips (they sort you with a board and wetsuit) so you'd leave at 10 a.m. and be back for 6... this worked for me but if you're out til 4/5 in the morning, it might be hard to get up on time.

It suited me as I'd get bored during the day if I was just hanging around at the beach. Now though, I'd rather be closer to the beach than closer to the parties.

These are the guys I went with: http://www.lagossurfcenter.com/. You sign up the night before - they give a discount the more days you do. They also bring you to wherever is working best. Alternatively, you can stay closer to a beach and just rent gear or get lessons there.

First question is can you surf, if so check the forecast and choose the days to surf and take it from there

No point basing yourself at a break if it's to big or onshore

Breaks on the west coast of the Algarve aren't to forgiving if you don't know what your doing

• Advertisement

I'm just learning - just can get up on board stage...

I'm thinking of staying www.burasurfhouse.com - they have surf + accomodation for 7 days for 299 euro. Does that sound okay ? Is it in a central location in Lagos. Thanks

Guess break close to Lagos suits best, worth googling deals and last minute offers for Lagos surf camps

Otherwise check on trip adviser

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Been to Lagos 3 times. There was never swell at all around Lagos itself except for the 3rd year i went when the main beach was breaking and it had a decent enough wave but thats not common id imagine. I didnt surf it that day myself but there were loads paddling across the river/harbour to surf the main beach.

Any time I surfed over there it was on the west coast - either booking a day trip with a surf camp or renting a car ourselves. We found renting a car the best bet for us. Had a crap experience with Jah Shaka surf camp. I would definitely stay away from them if I were you. We had previously gone on a day trip with the Lagos Surf Center and they were fine.

Try and get to Arrifana at some stage if you can. Beautiful spot, had a great surf there on my last trip and ill definitely be returning there. Id nearly consider staying there altogether but it might be too quiet for a week. Also, if you end up at Amado watch out for the odd submerged rock around the beach, can be dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Harry go stay with a surf camp one popular with English or Germans the fringe benefits make it worth while. Most cater for beginners and improvers. They'll take you to beaches on the west coast like Amado or at the back of villa de bispo there are also a few beaches on the south coast that work when the west is maxed out.

Advertisement