Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glaring mistake by the Irish Times or alternative spelling of Gaddafi's name?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Just call him 'The president of Lybia', that will do the trick ;)

Meh, just call him Fugly, everyone will know who yer on about :eek:

http://pibillwarner.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/moammar-gaddafi.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Oh god this made me laugh.

Jaysus the 'need to read it twice' brigade are out in force tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Jaysus the 'need to read it twice' brigade are out in force tonight!

Or maybe your attempts at humour just aren't funny

• Registered Users Posts: 26 The Longfellow

I love how 'pathetic' is the default insult for everything online these days.

Blah, blah, blah, blah. Pathetic.

A lot of the time the people who end their statements with 'pathetic' on its own tend to be the sort of people who don't really look into something at all but just jump on a bandwagon bashing something Irish because it helps them to forget about their own insecurities when they slam their own countrymen. Pathetic.

Do you really love it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tell that to the Libyans.

• Advertisement

mstan wrote: »
    Or maybe your attempts at humour just aren't funny

This is a strong possibility too.

However if someone makes a post giving out about people using the word 'pathetic' as a default insult on the web and then ends that post by themselves using the word 'pathetic' most people would realise that they were being facetious.

Searching through my posts to find instances when I used the word pathetic and posting them as a response just shows that they didn't get that at all.

Comprehension of the intent of my post and whether the post itself was funny or not are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

More like the Michael Jackson of the dictator world.. state of him with all the "work" done to him.

Do you really love it though?

I actually do. I'm taking it out for a romantic dinner this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

However if someone makes a post giving out about people using the word 'pathetic' as a default insult on the web and then ends that post by themselves using the word 'pathetic' most people would realise that they were being facetious.

I still dont believe the post was a joke. I think adding "Pathetic" at the end was just cheap humour on your part, but the rest of the content was you being serious. There was nothing about your post which was funny and for that reason I dont believe you were joking. But if you cant man up to you own hypocrisy now then thats fine. Lets all agree that your post really was a joke.

danh789 wrote: »
    I still dont believe the post was a joke. I think adding "Pathetic" at the end was just cheap humour on your part, but the rest of the content was you being serious. There was nothing about your post which was funny and for that reason I dont believe you were joking. But if you cant man up to you own hypocrisy now then thats fine. Lets all agree that your post really was a joke.

Well since you went to the bother yet again of searching through my posts and posting them up you know that I use the word pathetic quite regularly so why would I give out about other people using it?

Yes it was cheap humour. That's normally what I post in After Hours. The whole point of the post was the last word, that's where the joke kicked in. It's what they call a punchline.

I look forward to more threads when you will miss the point and search through my back posts in a vain attempt to make a point that doesn't need making. It is quite amusing how worked up you get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

Well since you went to the bother yet again of searching through my posts and posting them up you know that I use the word pathetic quite regularly so why would I give out about other people using it?

Yes it was cheap humour. That's normally what I post in After Hours. The whole point of the post was the last word, that's where the joke kicked in. It's what they call a punchline.

I look forward to more threads when you will miss the point and search through my back posts in a vain attempt to make a point that doesn't need making. It is quite amusing how worked up you get.

A search that took about 2 minutes as well and copy and paste a few links.....yes that really was a vain attempt on my part.

Considering what Im seeing of your sense of humour here, I guessing you'd probably even find the death notices "quite amusing"

danh789 wrote: »
    A search that took about 2 minutes as well and copy and paste a few links.....yes that really was a vain attempt on my part.

How did it take you 2 minutes? Are you on a 28k dial-up connection from 1995?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merge with previous Daffy thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

TonyStark wrote: »
    state of him with all the "work" done to him

so go down and vote morally right to attack

i wonder will you be saying that about Robert Downey Jr. at some point in the future. Stark enterprises can leave stark results, look at mickey rourke

young hearts and minds / media saturation. i am out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

Preusse wrote: »
    Thanks HooterSnout!

So the IT have just created another version previously not seen. ;)

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056202509&highlight=pubic+sector+reform

They do allright

I hear its great fun working in the pubic service as well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

blubloblu wrote: »
    There's a great figure on Wikipedia on all the possible transliterations of his name:
    61f34aa25871e9546b6a11243e1bed31.png
    only 99,840 variations then

If he flees, they are going to have to make the passport list at boarder control a lot longer. Also means if he does sneak in here he'll be able to sign on with multipe identities.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Whilst doing the front pages on tv3's tonight show last night, Sarah Carey reffered to the 'controversial' use of the word Gadafy by The Irish Times.

Where is the 'controversy' I'd like to know? A different spelling sure but where's the 'controversy' :confused:

Hardly controversial now.

Advertisement