Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Is there much of a difference between the N40L and the N54L?

I have the N40L but I am a little concerned that it might be underpowered for plex server.

Realistically I probably wouldnt be out that much money, By the time I sold the N40L , It would just be the hassle of setting it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Is there much of a difference between the N40L and the N54L?

I have the N40L but I am a little concerned that it might be underpowered for plex server.

Realistically I probably wouldnt be out that much money, By the time I sold the N40L , It would just be the hassle of setting it up again.

For the money it's a no brainer. The N54L is 2.2 GHz vs 1.5 GHz. Apart from that they are pretty much identical.

I'd say you could just swap the drives in to the new machine and it might would work OK.

• Is there much of a difference between the N40L and the N54L?

If you require transcoding then they are both underpowered and the extra power of the N54L wont make a huge difference. Neither of them are ideal for a transcoding server.

If you don't require transcoding then they'll both do fine. The extra performance from the N54L comes at the expense of power consumption and heat so its a straightforward trade-off. Which would you prefer, more CPU power or lower power consumption?

They use various brand PSUs and fans so there's also the possibility that you could wind up with a noisier machine than what you currently have. Im not particularly happy with the noise from my own N54L and havent decided if i'll keep it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Elara: Kin wrote: »
    They would use the invoice date.

Was about to take the plunge today too, and was worried I wouldn't have it. Is it only the invoice date? As the HP doc states that you must have the device before the 30th also.

Was about to take the plunge today too, and was worried I wouldn't have it. Is it only the invoice date? As the HP doc states that you must have the device before the 30th also.

They don't ask the delivery date in the form. You could always pick up from elara - they're near the Naas road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭blabley

If you require transcoding then they are both underpowered and the extra power of the N54L wont make a huge difference. Neither of them are ideal for a transcoding server.
    Little late to this thread but...

Got a N40 with Plex Media Centre and Media Player on Windows 8, runs perfectly well. Streams to other TV's via LAN and Tablets/Phones via WLAN very happily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

You are most likely basing this on conjecture rather than experience. I have simultaneously transcoded 1080p to my TV, streamed music to my phone and had at least one SIP channel streaming with no glitches anywhere. CPU utilisation didn't go over 75% either.

• gerryk wrote: »
    You are most likely basing this on conjecture rather than experience. I have simultaneously transcoded 1080p to my TV, streamed music to my phone and had at least one SIP channel streaming with no glitches anywhere. CPU utilisation didn't go over 75% either.

I am basing it on experience.

Most likely you don't know what transcoding means.

N54L can manage some basic transcoding but at higher resolutions and bitrates it can't even decode most of my content in realtime, let along re-encode it. To say that its not ideal for a re-encoding server is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

You will be fine ordering it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

claytonie wrote: »
    To save the whole printing scanning thing, I used https://www.fillanypdf.com/ to fill the PDF in and just did a signature with the mouse then sent an email with the completed claim form and the PDF of my invoice to promotions at out-bound.co.uk

Takes no more than 10mins to complete now its the 45 day wait for the cheque :D

I used the PDF tool above (thanks, claytonie!) the evening I received mine and got confirmation at 10am next morning, so as soon as you get your serial number and invoice you're good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I am basing it on experience.

Most likely you don't know what transcoding means.

N54L can manage some basic transcoding but at higher resolutions and bitrates it can't even decode most of my content in realtime, let along re-encode it. To say that its not ideal for a re-encoding server is correct.

I have 1080p and 720p files encoded XviD, DivX and a number of other encodings. All have to transcode to play on the Android Plex client. The only ones I have problems is MKV at 1080p... thet stutter a fair bit.
    Not sure what the bitrates are, but I'm assuming reasonable high as the quality is good.

What sort of content are you trying to stream? More importantly, what sort of memory do you have? The transcode buffer size is a big limiting factor.

gerryk wrote: »
    What sort of content are you trying to stream? More importantly, what sort of memory do you have? The transcode buffer size is a big limiting factor.

+1 - I had transcoding issues with the stock 2GB - much better with 8GB.

2GHz is the recommended spec for PMS.

• 2GHz is the recommended spec for PMS.
    Processors arent made equal so 2GHz minimum spec doesnt mean a whole lot. The AMD Turion II is on the level of a dual-core Atom, slightly faster depending on clock speed. But even clocked at 2.2GHz its miles slower than a mainstream dual core at 2GHz.
    gerryk wrote: »
    I have 1080p and 720p files encoded XviD, DivX and a number of other encodings. All have to transcode to play on the Android Plex client. The only ones I have problems is MKV at 1080p... thet stutter a fair bit.

Well, there you go. 95% of 1080p content that most people have are MKVs (with x264 video) and you've just said that stutters for you.

So I don't know why you are arguing with me that when I say its not ideal for a transcoding server. Something that stutters with common content is not ideal.

I didn't say it couldn't manage some very simple scenarios - Xvid is extremely simple and old fashioned. But as soon as you start pushing it with modern HD content, trying to transcode 1080p, or trying to transcode two 720p streams at once, you are going to run out of CPU power and experience stutters.

And as I also said, if you don't require transcoding, it will be just fine.

Processors arent made equal so 2GHz minimum spec doesnt mean a whole lot. The AMD Turion II is on the level of a dual-core Atom, slightly faster depending on clock speed. But even clocked at 2.2GHz its miles slower than a mainstream dual core at 2GHz.

Looking at benchmarks, it looks to be quicker than a 2GHz Core2Duo, which was my previous setup. That transcoded to my iOS devices without issue.

I'm having issue with Plex on un RAID over 3G, so I haven't tested it, but I have transcoded 1080p to my NowTV box without stuttering. It did take some time to buffer but once it got going it was fine. This is with 8GB RAM.

OK, scratch that - it looks like the latest Plex iOS update fixed my issues. I'm now playing a very high bitrate rip of the Dark Night Rises in 720p over 3G. Took about 5 seconds to buffer and hasn't stuttered once in 3 minutes of play. It's also apparently playing Chicken Run on the TV back home at the same time :)

Edit: And a High BR Avatar rip that used to stutter on my Core2Duo (with the client and server on the same machine) transcodes fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Was wondering if I order another one today would I still be eligible for the cashback?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dammer

Was wondering if I order another one today would I still be eligible for the cashback?

To get the refund you need the invoice and serial number of the microserver sent off to HP (by email or post) before the end of this month.

If you do purchase send all the info by email, the address is mentioned earlier in this thread.

I think you will really need the invoice today, and the serial number, to have any chance of getting the refund.

Maybe HP will extend the offer for next month...

Dammer wrote: »
    To get the refund you need the invoice and serial number of the microserver sent off to HP (by email or post) before the end of this month.

You had a monhts grace previously - for the June offer you had to submit the claim before 21st July.

It's worth emailing them on promotions@out-bound.co.uk to ask. They're pretty good at responding.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

I ordered from Elara on Tuesday and received it at work today. They emailed an invoice to me with today's date on it and not the date I ordered it. I'd say it would be a risk if you ordered today as you may not get it until Tuesday which is October.

fran426ft wrote: »
    I ordered from Elara on Tuesday and received it at work today. They emailed an invoice to me with today's date on it and not the date I ordered it. I'd say it would be a risk if you ordered today as you may not get it until Tuesday which is October.

*cough* http://www.pdfescape.com/ *cough*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

You have until the end of October to claim your cashback

http://www.elara.ie/Microserver.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Any word on this being extended?

fleet wrote: »
    Any word on this being extended?

You won't know until next month. They never say anything until they launch the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ebuyer have 7 in stock with free UK delivery at £249 if anyone's looking for them. http://www.ebuyer.com/430446-proliant-microserver-turion-2-2-2gb-250gb-nhpl-sata-lff-in-704941-421

parcel motel should do the trick for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Any recommendations for a cheap graphics card that will fit this machine, Looking to put XBMC on it and will only need to play files up to 720p. Also any recommendations for a USB or internal tuner card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

iMuse wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a cheap graphics card that will fit this machine, Looking to put XBMC on it and will only need to play files up to 720p. Also any recommendations for a USB or internal tuner card?

sapphire 5450 was recommended earlier think this is the one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11166-02-20R-5450-DDR3-Graphics/dp/B0036DD4CO/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1380585773&sr=1-4&keywords=SAPPHIRE

6450 for a few pennies more:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/VTX3D-Graphics-PCI-Express-DirectX-Technology/dp/B005YZO3MW/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1380586098&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=6450

I have a Sapphire 5450 but I'm running headless. I'll let it go for €25. Pm me if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

stimpson wrote: »
    I have a Sapphire 5450 but I'm runnIng headless. I'll let it go for €25. Pm me if you're interested.

Same card I am using on this machine and xbmc. Same seller i bought memory from, real nice guy to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Not being extended but there is a new model that might be on offer.

• Advertisement

Elara: Kin wrote: »
    Not being extended but there is a new model that might be on offer.

The gen8 is on offer in the UK, but it's far more expensive than the N54L.

Advertisement