Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIN tickets to Ireland vs Argentina and entry to an exclusive Smirnoff Party

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Over 30% of its women suffer from some form of an eating disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

I like how Argetinean people pronounce the double L in Spanish.

For example,

The word 'calle' [street] in regular Spanish would be pronounced as 'ka-yeh'. But in Argentina they say 'ka-jeh' with emphasis on the last bit. Whoever speaks Spanish knows what I'm talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭bullpost

Lots of Irish emigated to Argentina in the 19th Century.

Their legacy can still be found today in activities such as hurling (yep you read that correctly):

http://hurlingargentina.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kerrz

Big Brother in Argentina is called Gran Hermano :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jennw

In Argentine Spanish 'Que quilombo!' is there way of saying 'What a shambles' (or something similar!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭YeAh!

Argentina is one of the leading producers of wines ever since the 16th century and has 1800 wineries!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ferfer15

The biggest dinosaur in the world was found in Argentina and it is called "argentinosaurus huinculensis".

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭NedNew2

The offical national sport in Argentina is called "Pato" which is a mixture of polo and basketball, the name is spanish for "Duck" which originates from the fact that originally they used a live duck in a basket instead of a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

No pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for Argentinian leprechauns.

Not even a pot of silver (no silver there, as we already know.)

Nope, Argentina's wealth is its beef, and in 2002 leprechauns were spotted mutilating cows and hiding in trees when detected.

http://www.rense.com/general25/cooat.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

The Mapuche people are the most populous indigenous tribe in Argentina (about 4% of the total population) and their religion is centered around the machi, who are usually women who can ward off everything from evil spirits to rain. Girl power, oh yeah!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Celtic3x

Shirt is manufactured by Adidas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

there are 9 letters in the word argentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Current President, Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, was the first woman President to be elected in Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭ALS

President Juan Domingo Peron became Argentina’s President in 1946. ‘Evita’, his wife of legendary fame, was given the charge of labor relations, who succumbed to cancer, dying of it in 1952, when she was 33 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

The first game of rugby in Argentina can be traced back to 1873.

(just saw the 1 fact rule)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭copper04

Argentina and Great Britan went to war in 1982 over a group of islands 500 Kms off the coast of Argentina called Las Malvinas, ( Faklands to the British)
    Most Argentines still passionately argues "Las Malvinas son Argentinas"

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Fr Pat Noise

Avenida 9 de Julio in Buenos Aires is the widest street in the world.

al_avenida_9_dejulio.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

My host when I go to Oslo for New Years is from Argentina. I'm very happy about that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The world's first animated films were created and released in Argentina, by a person named Quirino Cristiani in 1917. Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭testtech05

For the prize thats on offer :) The Argentinian rugby union or Unión Argentina de Rugby (UAR) is one of the oldest in the world and was founded in 1899. It was then named the River Plate Rugby Football Union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

the southern patagonian icefield which contains the perito moreno glacier is the 3rd largest reserve of fresh water in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Ireland has had some relationship with Argentina from quite an early period.
    As early as 1535 you can read of two Irish brothers participating in the expedition of Pedro de Mendoza to the River Plate. These were Juan and Tomas Farrel, and they are believed to be the first Irishmen to set foot in what is now Argentina.

mendoza01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭AdeleS

On 8th March 2009, a Guinness World Record for the most balloons deflated in one minute was set at the Parque Tres de Febrero in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

9,678 purple balloons were deflated in less than one minute by thousands of women!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Diego Armando Maradona is an Argentine former football player and was manager of the Argentine national team between November 2008 and July 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Antonio de la Rúa is the oldest son of former Argentine president, Fernando de la Rúa (who governed Argentina from 1999 to 2001) and has been dating Shakira since 2000. He proposed to her in March 2001. They are still engaged, not married with Shakira stating their relationship already works as a married couple, and that "they don't need papers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Argentina has some of the most beautiful women on earth.
    I should know as i methodically viewed them when i was there in 2001.......much to the despair of my then girlfriend/now wife

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My favourite fact about Argentina is that I'm marrying a beautiful one in January ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

An Argentina ordinance demands that disk jockeys play as many tango records as all other types of music combined.

Something I'll have to check out in the wright venue ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Nuts I just spotted the last fact I posted was already posted by someone else so I'm posting this instead.

As per the law, the President and Vice President of Argentina should be Roman Catholics.

researched - http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/facts-about-argentina-1416.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The hottest and coldest temperatures ever recorded in South America have occurred in Argentina.
    :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement