Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No Central Thermostat for GCH. Is it economical?

Options
  • 25-11-2014 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi Guys.

Question to the gas central heating experts.

We live in a rented bungalow. The GCH is very old, recently the plumber from the management company came out to service the boiler, and we mentioned to him that the 2 thermostat on the wall (in different rooms) doesn't seem to be doing anything.

He checked them and said that none of them connected up to the boiler, but we can use the GHC economically with the timer switch on the wall and the Thermostatic valves on each radiators.

I am a bit sceptical about this,
    Here is my logic: If let's say I set the timer to come on 5 in the morning, but there is scorching sunshine outside, I would need a thermostat on the wall (somewhere central in the house) which would override the GHC to come on.
    That way I am not burning gas, and not spending money.
    The plumber said that I am wrong, as the individual thermostatic valves on the radiators would shut off (individually in each room), when the room is warm enough. Yes the boiler would still come on, but the valves would indirectly knock off the boiler.

Am I missing something here?
    Would the boiler shut off just because all the lines to the radiators shut off? ie: build up pressure would knock off the boiler?
    The plumber said that not to worry as it would only heat the cylinder then would go off.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

He is fairly right. Gas fired boilers contain relatively small amounts of water and come up to cut-out temperature very quickly. (no point in complicating this by explaining modulating boilers)
    It would however keep coming on regularly (depending on the size of your hot water cylinder) until the cylinder is heated and then fewer times to keep its own water up to temp. This is assuming that your TRV's have been satisfied.

This is not a very good way of controlling your system and the inclusion of a stat as you described would be beneficial.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭szita2000

Cheers.

I thought the same.

I suspect that they want to cut cost, but after paying almost a grand and a half in rent, I think the least I can expect is the heating system to be as economical as can.

Advertisement