Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating / Thermostat Question

• 24-11-2014 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭

Hi,

At the moment our central heating has two options - On or Off. There's a timer alright but no way to regulate temperature.

The heating is powered by an oil boiler, not sure if this is relevant. There is also an Aga in the house which does the hot water but I think it's seperate to the central heating.

Is there much involved in putting in a thermostat to keep a constant temperature? If so, are these new 'smart' thermostats worth it?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I have yet to decide if some of those "smart" thermostats are a good idea. They probably are if used correctly with proper controls. They are very expensive.

In your case it would be very beneficial to at least have a room stat wired into the timer. If the wiring presented too much of a difficulty, there are wireless options available.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Wearb wrote: »
    I have yet to decide if some of those "smart" thermostats are a good idea. They probably are if used correctly with proper controls. They are very expensive.

In your case it would be very beneficial to at least have a room stat wired into the timer. If the wiring presented too much of a difficulty, there are wireless options available.

Ok, leaving aside the argument between 'smart' thermostats vs their less educated counterparts, is there much work involved in getting a thermostat of any description fitted? At the minute, our heating is either 'on' or 'off'.

It depends on your knowledge of electrical wiring.

The simplest way (and basic) would be to have a room stat break the power from the timer to the boiler. Make sure any room stat you get is capable of supplying the correct power. It is very unlikely that you have a "zero volt" timer. Some stats are more accurate than others, but that will probably be written on the box. In general stats that also require a neutral wire or have batteries are better. But in any case, any sort of stat is going to be an improvement in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Wearb wrote: »
    It depends on your knowledge of electrical wiring.

The simplest way (and basic) would be to have a room stat break the power from the timer to the boiler. Make sure any room stat you get is capable of supplying the correct power. It is very unlikely that you have a "zero volt" timer. Some stats are more accurate than others, but that will probably be written on the box. In general stats that also require a neutral wire or have batteries are better. But in any case, any sort of stat is going to be an improvement in your situation.

I wouldn't have a clue - I'd be getting an electrician to do it. I'm just wondering if its a big job or not. If it would cost €1k for example I'd do without.

I would only be guessing, but depending on what is involved and cost of materials, I would say about €250-€350.

If he is going to run a wire to the stat (not a wireless one), be sure to get him to run one with enough cores to allow for something more sophisticated in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement