Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

12 weeks in Jail for offensive web posts about poor April Jones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

alphabeat wrote: »
    im glad the stupid pr1ck got jail , anyone that fcuking stupid deserves it.

So stupidity is a crime now? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What was the exact thing he said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

So stupidity is a crime now? :confused:

Maybe he is being used as an example for others not to follow,some people need to realise that it's not acceptable to sit behind a screen and dish out whatever crap you want.

I wonder if he would have the guts to tell his sick jokes face to face to April's family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Bloody fool nearly deserves jail. If I were a member of the girl's family, I'd bide my time patiently.

Yes, for commiting assault is much more preferable to making a joke.
    lukesmom wrote: »
    Agree with above.
    If it was an offensive stupid joke fine but the fact that he was thick enough to put
    5 year old girl & sexually explicit content together deserves the book thrown at him and I don't care how drunk he was. Been around drunk lads telling jokes, a lot of sexually explicit nature but NEVER about kids and sex.
    Never ever.

Probably shouldn't hang around my friends then. Wouldn't want you calling the police on us because you don't like some jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

it must be on here I was skimming a thread which mentioned the Stephen Fry's quote on "being offended", very good. (http://www.aaanything.net/wp-content/gallery/quotes-for-2012/im_offended_by_that_by_stephen_fry.jpg)
    The young man shouldn't have been jailed, reprimanded maybe. Charged/jailed is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,395 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

This reminds me of an argument I had with a friend of mine who was at a Tommy Tiernan gig a couple of years ago, during which he made some jokes about people with Down's Syndrome. My friend found it distasteful and felt that he shouldn't be allowed to make jokes about people with disabilities. My view is that anything goes when it comes to humour. If you find it offensive, then you are CHOOSING to find it offensive. Your taste in humour is just like your taste in food - subjective. Trying to put a limit on what should and shouldn't be used in jokes is moving dangerously close to inhibiting free speech. The same people who are happy to see this man go to jail would be the very same people that would be complaining if their right to free speech had been affected. As others posters have said, it is setting a dangerous precedent and reflects a court system that is more concerned with keeping the baying public happy rather than administering actual justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

SantryRed wrote: »

That seems to be irrelevant. It seems that British law now allows People to be locked up because people may find their opinion offensive.

What a load of absolute F******G tripe. As for the people saying he deserved it, What did he say? How can you make that call if the only info is, he retold an old (sick) joke, updated?

So if a large enough group of people in the UK decide they find Jedward offensive, and want to call to their hotel room to kick crap out of them, Will Jedward be Arrested for their own safety, and then jailed for 12 weeks?
    I doubt it.

You may not like someone's opinion, but how dare you start dictating what they can and can't say.
    If you deem it to be offensive enough, would you get a group out too?

AAGGHH.. When would it stop? RIDICULOUS!

As someone pointed out, other people could be arrested for typing disgusting comments about the commenter on FB..

BAN FACEBOOK.

Guns don't kill people... People do..:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's the sort of joke which a shockcomic like Frankie Boyle would make, but 'known' comedians seem to have some sort of 'freedom of speech' protection.

Wasn't there similar stuff during the London riots where people would drunkenly post 'lets wreck Norwich high street' on their FB as a very weak joke, and were brought to court and jailed for inciting a riot?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

SantryRed wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/oct/08/april-jones-matthew-woods-jailed
    Among Woods's comments were: "Who in their right mind would abduct a ginger kid?" In another he said: "I woke up this morning in the back of a transit van with two beautiful little girls, I found April in a hopeless place." He also wrote: "Could have just started the greatest Facebook argument EVER. April fools, who wants Maddie? I love April Jones." Also posted were comments of a more sexually explicit nature.The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) confirmed it reviewed the file on Monday morning and was content with the prosecution going ahead.
    Tasteless and unfunny? Yes.

Worthy of jailtime? Fuck no.

Absolutely ridiculous. Is anyone that posts a joke on Sikipedia now in danger of being prosecuted? As someone mentioned earlier on this thread (I think), Frankie Boyle may as well shut down his Twitter account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Did I mention assault? :confused: It's a big internet out there and plenty of ways to use it without physically touching a person or getting jail time for offending people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Bloody fool nearly deserves jail. If I were a member of the girl's family, I'd bide my time patiently.

Agree with above.
    If it was an offensive stupid joke fine but the fact that he was thick enough to put
    5 year old girl & sexually explicit content together deserves the book thrown at him and I don't care how drunk he was. Been around drunk lads telling jokes, a lot of sexually explicit nature but NEVER about kids and sex.
    Never ever.

Probably shouldn't hang around my friends then. Wouldn't want you calling the police on us because you don't like some jokes.

That's bulls*it I love jokes! Don't find ones about little girls and sexual acts funny though! Do you???

That's bulls*it I love jokes! Don't find ones about little girls and sexual acts funny though! Do you???
    So there's some jokes you don't like then?

I don't particularly find knock-knock jokes funny, should I call plod if someone posts one on my Facebook page?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Depends on the joke tbh. Is it any worse than jokes about priests and little boys? They don't seem to cause much outrage.

Did I mention assault? :confused: It's a big internet out there and plenty of ways to use it without physically touching a person or getting jail time for offending people.

So why do you think the girl's family should be "biding their time" over this joke?

Sometimes, sure. It doesn't matter what we find "funny" though, this is a matter of protecting someone's right to make those jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Battleborn

Everybody has different humour and is entitled to that right,even if their jokes are sick..however posting them on sites dedicated to help find the child or for people who are showing their concern and thoughts for the matter is just downright immature and insulting..however I don't agree on jail that's a little extreme but that's the way internet life is going nowadays.He's not the first person it's happened to and won't be the last....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Battleborn wrote: »
    Everybody has different humour and is entitled to that right,even if their jokes are sick..however posting them on sites dedicated to help find the child or for people who are showing their concern and thoughts for the matter is just downright immature and insulting..however I don't agree on jail that's a little extreme but that's the way internet life is going nowadays,and he's not the first person it's happened to and won't be the last....

He posted it on his own FB page, not on an April Jones site afaik.....

Battleborn wrote: »
    ..however posting them on sites dedicated to help find the child or for people who are showing their concern and thoughts for the matter is just downright immature and insulting..
    He didn't though.

So why do you think the girl's family should be "biding their time" over this joke?

Sometimes, sure. It doesn't matter what we find "funny" though, this is a matter of protecting someone's right to make those jokes.

Well I've a little girl and just don't find this type of joke funny. Sex and little girls just don't mix in jokes and never should. But thats just my opinion. I'm sure there are, like yourself, some others (hopefully not too many) who can have a laugh about little girls and sexual acts. I find it repulsive.

Well I've a little girl and just don't find this type of joke funny. Sex and little girls just don't mix in jokes and never should. But thats just my opinion. I'm sure there are, like yourself, some others (hopefully not too many) who can have a laugh about little girls and sexual acts. I find it repulsive.

That's fine. You can be as repulsed as you like. I just have an issue with judiciary getting involved and imprisoning a man for making jokes. I mean, that's just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Never should is generally a pre-requisite for any offensive joke. I am sure you have laughed before at plenty of jokes that others are repulsed by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Shocked to see the Mods of Boards.ie coming out to defend this clown.

If anyone was to stay impartial I'd think it would be ye.

A young girls has been abducted and jokes are being made about a sexual nature of a 5 year old and ye think its OK?

I'm glad this asshole paid a price excessive but tough tittie for him.

About time people know hiding behind your keyboard don't work.

dave1982 wrote: »

A young girls has been abducted and jokes are being made about a sexual nature of a 5 year old and ye think its OK?

I'm glad this asshole paid a price excessive but tough tittie for him.

So we mods aren't allowed to have an opinion now?

FWIW, if anyone came on here and made jokes like that, they'd get a ban. No question.

But there's a fucking canyon-sized difference between getting banned from an internet forum for making a tasteless joke and doing actual time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I know, tell me about it. You think with all the bans being handed out around this place they'd be all for locking people up.

Oh wait no sorry, I'm confusing them with fascist lunatics.

Nope, but I also don't think text on a screen (and not just that, text on a screen posted on his own page) deserves imprisonment.

Better close down lolocaust too just to be safe. Don't want to end up on trial in Israel.

Why, are we not allowed an opinion either? We don't mod the rest of the world.

Well, the others ones don't...

Yes thank you, anonymous user dave1982.

As repulsed as I am by the fact he used sexual actz and little girl in the same joke, I think a caution would have been the right idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Never said you are not entitled to a opinion, just find it strange that ye would come one to defend the jokes especially when its of such a sensitive nature.

As repulsed as I am by the fact he used sexual actz and little girl in the same joke, I think a caution would have been the right idea.
    Why? What fucking business is it of the Police that he makes bad jokes?

Surely the very subject of this thread is an example of some of the more pressing matters they should be attending to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

This reminds me of an argument I had with a friend of mine who was at a Tommy Tiernan gig a couple of years ago, during which he made some jokes about people with Down's Syndrome. My friend found it distasteful and felt that he shouldn't be allowed to make jokes about people with disabilities. My view is that anything goes when it comes to humour. If you find it offensive, then you are CHOOSING to find it offensive. Your taste in humour is just like your taste in food - subjective. Trying to put a limit on what should and shouldn't be used in jokes is moving dangerously close to inhibiting free speech. The same people who are happy to see this man go to jail would be the very same people that would be complaining if their right to free speech had been affected. As others posters have said, it is setting a dangerous precedent and reflects a court system that is more concerned with keeping the baying public happy rather than administering actual justice.

There are jokes that are an incitement to hatred and contempt, though.

• Advertisement

Never said you are not entitled to a opinion, just find it strange that ye would come one to defend the jokes especially when its of such a sensitive nature.

Well as someone posted on this thread earlier, no one bats an eyelid when it's peado priests. Or Jimmy Savile and Gary Glitter.

Advertisement