Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

yes, new fresh thread:D

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

It might just be us repeats for a while! :p

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    It might just be us repeats for a while! :p

haha :L, at least theres someone in the same boat:p

I'd say there's a lot more than just me! God...never thought I'd be getting ready to go back to my old school next Monday. Still hasn't hit me!

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    I'd say there's a lot more than just me! God...never thought I'd be getting ready to go back to my old school next Monday. Still hasn't hit me!

the sacrifices :L, i'm excited:p getting stuck in again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

exhaustion.jpg

jumpguy wrote: »
    exhaustion.jpg

did you miss out by 1 or 2 points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'll be giving it a stab this year. I'm expecting to be repeating the following year though, :o serious faith in my ability.

Dont think like that mate! A year is a lot of study time. If you put in the effort you'll be rewarded. That was the most obvious thing I saw after the results in my school. It was the people who did a lot of work as opposed to the lazy but gifted types who did well.

you have lots of time, make sure you apply yourself,and even if you do not get it, you shouldnt be far off and repeating will be easier:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Hi,

I seem to remember buried in the hpat 2011 thread something about bonus maths points. Is it true if you did Higher LC maths this year ie 2011 and got a D3 or above then you will get the bonus points in 2012?? So if you got say 500 LC will that now be 525 LC points??

25 points are massive in terms of hpat scores-won't this skew the combined points for medicine in favour of those that have done higher maths?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

drrkpd wrote: »
    Hi,

I seem to remember buried in the hpat 2011 thread something about bonus maths points. Is it true if you did Higher LC maths this year ie 2011 and got a D3 or above then you will get the bonus points in 2012?? So if you got say 500 LC will that now be 525 LC points??

25 points are massive in terms of hpat scores-won't this skew the combined points for medicine in favour of those that have done higher maths?????????

No, I think they've thought up something for that, they'll only give you a certain amount of points, maybe 5 or something. Kind of like if you get 600 points you only get 565+ whatever your HPAT is.

I don't have a clue if that made any sense to anyone, it did in my head :P

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

I sat the LC in 2007, did a natural science course and only got a 2.2 so no graduate med (Despite getting enough GAMSAT points) for me...

Therefore here I am:
    Doing a hDip in IT as well as sitting the HPAT as well as resitting the GAMSAT (In the hopes of getting into grad med UK) while also resitting the Leaving Cert.
    I've got from now until June to start completely from scratch, taking up physics and chemistry and also upping to higher level maths...
    Gosh I'mma be in for a rough year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

I sat the LC in 2007, did a natural science course and only got a 2.2 so no graduate med (Despite getting enough GAMSAT points) for me...

Therefore here I am:
    Doing a hDip in IT as well as sitting the HPAT as well as resitting the GAMSAT (In the hopes of getting into grad med UK) while also resitting the Leaving Cert.
    I've got from now until June to start completely from scratch, taking up physics and chemistry and also upping to higher level maths...
    Gosh I'mma be in for a rough year...

Trust me....we all are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I may be possibly repeating the HPAT next year, so i'm checking in I suppose.

As an aside, i'm also planning on running another one of my surveys. Except this time it will revolve around the HPAT, repeats and prep courses. What i'm looking to do is to establish whether or not there is a link between repeating the HPAT / taking a preparation course and higher scores. Also, i'd hope to establish which section is improved the most by repeating / taking a preparation course.

Ideally, people will enter the overall scores they achieved in 2009, 2010, 2011 (Leaving blank where not applicable) and the section scores for the three years (Again leaving leaving blank where not applicable) as well whether or not they repeated/took a prep course.

There is a problem however. The spreadsheet work that would be required to generate all of this data will be even more elaborate and time consuming than my previous two surveys. That's why I want to ask first whether or not people think this is a worthwhile idea and whether or not people will participate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Laika_

Yep, I think this is a v. good idea, partyatmygaff. I went from 88th to 96th %ile this year after a vast amount of practice and the infamous prep course (twice). My friends also improved- out of five of us, four did better.

Good idea imo, Gaffster, although if you just asked people to fill in the following fields:

Did you undertake a HPAT prep course? Y/N
    Did you find it helpful? Y/N
    How many points did you score in the HPAT in 2009? (If done)
    2010? (If done)
    2011? (If done)

Would it be an easier spreadsheet to design?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Good idea imo, Gaffster, although if you just asked people to fill in the following fields:

Did you undertake a HPAT prep course? Y/N
    Did you find it helpful? Y/N
    How many points did you score in the HPAT in 2009? (If done)
    2010? (If done)
    2011? (If done)

Would it be an easier spreadsheet to design?
    Not really that much easier no. The algorithm for generating the data of the overall scores can be reused for the section scores.

I'd say what i'll do is have the following questions

Did you undertake a HPAT preparation course?
    Were you ultimately successful in getting an offer for undergraduate medicine in Ireland?

S1 2009
    S2 2009
    S3 2009

S1 2010
    S2 2010
    S3 2011

S1 2011
    S2 2011
    S3 2011

(With "If applicable" at the end of each question)
    Comments, leave blank if no comment.

The response looks good enough to get started. No ETA on when it will be ready though.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Allie79

Just to give you my two cents worth, imho someone has to show you how to do section three - it's not easy to figure out the tricks on your own, you have to have decent vocab/ ability to be able to score well in section one, section two isn't something that can really be taught - your personality and life experience will come through unless you find some way to learn the types of responses they're after. I'm a mature student and I did a similar test when I was 18 and scored very badly in this section and this time round it was my best mark so things change. After that I think it's purely down to how quickly you can answer the questions, everyone who would be aiming for med can answer them - given enough time. If that is true, then it follows that if you have the ability to answer the questions, you'll score highly if you can answer them quickly and manage your time well- hence practising the types of questions can only help improve your score which is why repeat students and those who are doing prep courses are improving/ scoring well. I did a one day prep course which also gave me a practise test to do at home. I did it and the two booklets from ACER in the two days before and on the day I answered all questions in all sections excepting the last two questions in section 3 which I ran out of time for and had to guess. It was the lowest of my three marks and think if I'd done more prep it would have been better.
    I'm rambling but I guess my overall point is that I think you definitely can improve your score by a. knowing how to approach section three and b. getting quicker at answering the types of questions in all three sections and managing the time you've got.

Good luck with the spreadsheet partyatmygaff. It'll be interesting to see what you find!

Anyone know where I can get a few sample questions without paying for them?
    Just as a taster like...

• Advertisement

If you google UMAT sample questions there are a few Australian companies that offer free downloads - it's practically the same test as the HPAT but has been around longer.

Siobhnk wrote: »
    No, I think they've thought up something for that, they'll only give you a certain amount of points, maybe 5 or something. Kind of like if you get 600 points you only get 565+ whatever your HPAT is.

Thanks do you have link to support this??

Allie79 wrote: »
    If you google UMAT sample questions there are a few Australian companies that offer free downloads - it's practically the same test as the HPAT but has been around longer.

It is exactly the same exam Google both of them. This is why doing M******y platinum course makes so much sense

Personally, I felt that how you feel on the day affects your HPAT performance more than anything. That said, I did Médentry too. It wasn't worth 350€, I can tell ya that.

I think repeats go up mainly because they feel more comfortable with the exam after taking it once and then "preparing" themselves for it.

Although there is a big question mark over section 3, I do feel I got better at that with practice (and it was my best section in the HPAT).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Another hopeful medical student here :)

Is the hpat definitely going to be around for 2012?

Ally7 wrote: »
    Another hopeful medical student here :)

Is the hpat definitely going to be around for 2012?
    I would say almost certain tbh. Any changes that could be done now at this stage would be a revert to the old system, which ain't gonna happen.

Kind of like if you get 600 points you only get 565+ whatever your HPAT is.

:confused::confused: wut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I would say almost certain tbh. Any changes that could be done now at this stage would be a revert to the old system, which ain't gonna happen.

Thanks, better start ordering my practise papers so!

Personally, I felt that how you feel on the day affects your HPAT performance more than anything. That said, I did Médentry too. It wasn't worth 350€, I can tell ya that.

I think repeats go up mainly because they feel more comfortable with the exam after taking it once and then "preparing" themselves for it.

Although there is a big question mark over section 3, I do feel I got better at that with practice (and it was my best section in the HPAT).

I agree with that too, how you feel will definitely affect your performance and I also there's a fair bit of luck with the questions on the day too!

• Advertisement

found the post in 2011 thread from jumpguy
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73814164&highlight=bonus+points#post73814164

it says-

#1363 jumpguy
    | Friends
    Mod: Leaving Cert

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nulzy viewpost.gif
    Just wondering if I decide to repeat the Hpat next year, the points for med will obv sky rocket with the 20 extra points for passing higher level maths..would we be able to get these extra points if we have already sat HL maths? It would be majorly hard to compete with people who get these extra points, and frustrating if we actually have already sat a HL leaving cert paper just not in 2012.
    If we aren't entitled to those points I wonder if there's any point in repeating the hpat this year cos the points for med will go up considerably i assume?

I emailed the CAO a few months ago asking if the bonus points for HL maths will be added onto points for people who took HL maths in years prior to 2012. This was the reply I got:

Quote:
    From 2012 the HL Maths bonus scheme will also be
    used when calculating points for sittings of the
    Leaving Certificate taken prior to 2012.
    So I take that to mean that the 25 extra points will be added onto your HL maths score from 2011 if you apply for any course in 2012

So if you get 500 LC with D3 maths or above you will be 525.

And the maximum points are now 565-600 LC+ 25 Bonus Maths calculated as 1 point for every 5 over 550.!!!

Advertisement