Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shandon bells ringing overnight

• 08-10-2014 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello there,

I'm posting this question here because I couldn't find a more suitable category.

So the point is.. are the Shandon Church bells allowed to ring overnight? Shouldn't it be forbidden to "make noise" after a certain time?

These bells basically ring all the day long, every 15 minutes and every single hour - even during the whole night.

I'm thinking about reporting this to Gardai but I'm not sure if they can do anything about it.

What's your thought on that?

Cheers!
    Simone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Were you born before they started the bells ringing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Seiferz

No, but I live in the area and they disturb me in the night. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Seiferz wrote: »
    pre-existing issue

Church was build pre-1730, and haven't ye cork boys, even got a song about the bells.

If you don't like them, look to move

I live beside a train station, during the week. Last train is after 11.30, first train is around 5.30am, they also do repairs overnight on Engines.
    It can wake me up, but I knew there was a train station there when I moved in.

Similarly, at my real home, there's cows who make noise at night, but the farm was there, long before I was born.

I presume, and even hope a little, the Gardai would laugh at you, if you go to complain.

Noise is not something they're responsible for policing, talk to City hall

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Seiferz wrote: »

And you didn't check before moving in?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

And you didn't check before moving in?

Wasn't the clock/bells only restored recently? I'd say that's bad luck if you moved in since they were broken.
    Does it still play Don't Cry for me Argentina? I'd be crying into my pillow

• Advertisement

They were indeed restored recently. They still play Don't cry for me Argentina but that's the least annoiance. The problem is that the clock rings every single quarter hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,235 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

You remind me of the guy who bought a huge house up by the airport and then tried to sue for noise pollution, judge told him to jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

CHealy wrote: »
    You remind me of the guy who bought a huge house up by the airport and then tried to sue for noise pollution, judge told him to jog on.

I. England there are more than a few live music venues that are very long standing being told they can't play to their closing times because people moved in next dor and complain about the noise.....

Simple solution op, is to move, or get some ear plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I think you might have a case to complain to the council (or the church directly?) if there has been an increase in bell ringing.

I don't live near there but its common enough knowledge that the bells are active during the day and into the early evening. But have they suddenly started ringing them late at night now as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

I think you might have a case to complain to the council (or the church directly?) if there has been an increase in bell ringing.

I don't live near there but its common enough knowledge that the bells are active during the day and into the early evening. But have they suddenly started ringing them late at night now as well?

I'd call the guards before I'd call the council tbh. I think it's stupid- whole purpose of church bells was to inform people there was a mass on. Nothing worse than bells disturbing a sunday lie in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I live close to Shandon - I can clearly hear the bells when tourists play them.
    I have never heard bells at night or on the quarter hour.
    Are these clock bells different to the rope pulled bells? If so, they're a lot quieter.

Edit : just heard the 12 O clock bells (at about 11.57).
    I think at this stage, I've just filtered them out.
    Loud enough, alright. Surely they could mute the bell after a certain time - seems daft to be going all night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Similar for me, I can actually see the fish out of my bedroom window & haven't been woken by them during the night. Would hear them during the day for sure but it's kind of become background noise that I don't really notice at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

But have they suddenly started ringing them late at night now as well?

I live in the area and am a bit of a night owl, and I've heard them ring past 3 a.m. I don't think they are as loud as they are during the day though. Honestly at this stage I think I've pretty much filtered them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Ya, i've heard them in the middle of the night too. I'm a bit away so i kinda find it relaxing. Might not be so much close by.

Better than my last place in Limerick when funderland was around. I'll take gentle night bells over a week of screaming during the day!

Thanks for the answers guys, I live really near the Firkin Crane and believe me, the volume of the bells during nighttime is the same as it is during daytime.

I understand that I should be able to bring this to the attention of the City Council, am I right?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Get earplugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Good few people living around Shandon I see, only moved here two months ago myself, all going well so far. Was looking suspiciously at people as I was walking home this evening ;)

Btw what's the verdict on pubs in the area? Friend of a friend recommended Eugene's & Jack Fordes. Currently training for a marathon so pints are more fantasy than reality for me but that will change later on in the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Can confirm the bells go off at 3.15am. Why?!

Advertisement