Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car not selling on Donedeal

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Actually it may be stupid in your world, but an 08 C-MAX is about 1K more than ur 06 is worth, not KK's. Makes perfect sense, after all road tax is dead money whatever you pay so I'd prefer to pay less.

Of course when I change my car, it would probably be in the new tax band.
    But right now if you look at the best case scenario there is a 1k gap between an 06 CMax and and 08 one. If I get top dollar for mine and buy the cheapest one possible. Which won't happen.
    If you take mileage and condition of mine into account and mileage and condition of the one I want, more like 2k best case scenario.
    If I where to buy one for 1k more than mine, we can look at the difference between tax rates.
    My CMax, based on cc is €636 p/a
    08 CMax, based on CO2 is €390 p/a.
    The difference is €246 p/a.
    Even in the best case scenario, it would take me 4 years of owning the car to make up for the difference. More like 8 years, if the difference is €2k.
    If my motivation for changing cars was purely the tax, I would hang on to it, because the extra expense is not rewarded with any significant gain.
    And if I do change cars, I might well consider a low mileage older car, because the purchase price would be worth it, despite tax.
    And one more point:
    That CO2 based tax system is ridiculously low. Prepare for those rates to be jacked up every year, so any savings I could potentially make, would be wiped out.
    Conclusion: You can't win. (Not you, I mean one can't win)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Groundsource

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    and how much does the 2008 car cost?

My 2012 2L costs me approx. 165

Of course when I change my car, it would probably be in the new tax band.
    But right now if you look at the best case scenario there is a 1k gap between an 06 CMax and and 08 one. If I get top dollar for mine and buy the cheapest one possible. Which won't happen.
    If you take mileage and condition of mine into account and mileage and condition of the one I want, more like 2k best case scenario.
    If I where to buy one for 1k more than mine, we can look at the difference between tax rates.
    My CMax, based on cc is €636 p/a
    08 CMax, based on CO2 is €390 p/a.
    The difference is €246 p/a.
    Even in the best case scenario, it would take me 4 years of owning the car to make up for the difference. More like 8 years, if the difference is €2k.
    If my motivation for changing cars was purely the tax, I would hang on to it, because the extra expense is not rewarded with any significant gain.
    And if I do change cars, I might well consider a low mileage older car, because the purchase price would be worth it, despite tax.
    And one more point:
    That CO2 based tax system is ridiculously low. Prepare for those rates to be jacked up every year, so any savings I could potentially make, would be wiped out.
    Conclusion: You can't win. (Not you, I mean one can't win)

We have too much reliance on our cars, I'm getting on my bike. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

mullingar wrote: »
    Also consider putting in on how long you've owned it and reason for sale.

Dont do that. Its not particularly relevant and honestly nobody gives a toss why you are selling it.

I hate reading peoples life stories on car adverts...

It's a dl
    Was replying to an earlier comment on 'D' reg cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

djimi wrote: »
    Dont do that. Its not particularly relevant and honestly nobody gives a toss why you are selling it.

I hate reading peoples life stories on car adverts...

Don't think I'd fully agree with you can sometimes be relevant.

How many owners have there been, if 2 or less I'd be inclined to put it in, people prefer cars that havn't changed hands a lot give the impression of a more reliable car.

Regarding how long you have had it I think if you have had it a good while no harm putting it in, again same reason.

Why you are selling it wouldn't bother, maybe mention if talking to a potential buyer but I don't think it is something that will get someone to call you so not relevant for the ad in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I agree with putting the number of owners, but aside from that I dont think the rest is relevant. To be honest, I just get annoyed reading ads that are sparse on the details and filled with useless guff that is not relevant to the sale. Keep it short and to the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Donegal will put a lot of people off too, you're too far away from most of the country.
    To add to that, what's the rust on the bottom like? Last DL reg car I had (Honda Civic) was very rusty underneath due to the sea air. And thus I would never buy a DL car again. Seems this is a common enough problem with DL cars, that my engineer came across.
    My 2012 2L costs me approx. 165
    I'm pretty sure he was asking how much the 2008 car would cost, and not it's tax. As such, how much is your 2012 car, and how many years would the OP need to own it to offset the cost against the tax he saves?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

You dont need to point out that there is a spoiler/side skirts.

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he was asking how much the 2008 car would cost, and not it's tax. As such, how much is your 2012 car, and how many years would the OP need to own it to offset the cost against the tax he saves?

Don't know or really care. Would need an to me accountant :):D

• Advertisement

OP, blur the reg, up the price, add "No dreamers, tire kickers, window lickers and test pilots!", maybe L@@K!!! into the title, the description should be text speak and don't forget to add r-type, evo, S class, diesel, petrol 4wd, turbo, lambo, garden hose, rocking horse, milking parlour and 4 way USB hub into the description.
    The take the ad down, re-advertise and put RE-ADVERTISED DUE TO TIMEWASTERS!!!! in the title.
    Don't forget "just testing the water", "not pushed on selling" and of course "quick sale due to emigration, part ex for new Porsche 911 considered"
    Beforehand bolt some crap from Halfords onto it.
    I'm sure it'll sell in a week! (They always seem to)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

I will be putting my own car on Done Deal shortly. I’ve just realised I can’t remember how many owners it’s had!

I’ve had the car for 5 years but don’t know if there was 1 or 2 owners before me and don’t want to just guess as it’ll look suspect to any potential seller if it’s not correct.

If there any easy way (apart from buying a motor check report etc) for me to find this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Very little between your car and this one

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-2005/5934587

except this one is €3,600, and has a smaller engine, ( cheaper road tax ) and is €1,100 cheaper than yours. Thats your main problem I think. Check other cars like your one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

jcon1913 wrote: »

except this one is €3,600, and has a smaller engine, ( cheaper road tax ) and is €1,100 cheaper than yours. Thats your main problem I think. Check other cars like your one.

You say check cars like the ops to get what it's worth. Then you compare the ops diesel with a petrol version of the car. Someone looking for a diesel won't want a 1.4 petrol version of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Bpmull wrote: »
    You say check cars like the ops to get what it's worth. Then you compare the ops diesel with a petrol version of the car. Someone looking for a diesel won't want a 1.4 petrol version of the car.
    No I gave him a comparison then I said to compare his car to ones like his own. Time is money my friend, but an initial comparison shows his price is out of line for that mileage and year for that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Cheeeeeeep taaaaaaax

it sounds like Sheeeeep taaaaaaaaaaax

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

I can't see myself getting into something with very low tax but comparing something like a 07 gs 450h v a 08 model, its a no brainer.[/QUOTE]

Can i go further, even it's OT , lookat the price difference between 07 and 08 - at least 10 grand with tax 1 grand/year , i'm talking gs450h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

One glaring anomaly there. You may not have heard - diesel is the new thing now...

TL;DR
    Blurred plates, NEXT!

Perhaps just blur out the L?

:P

(but I agree, blurred or covered plates = something to hide).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

It's petrol do it's not like for like.
    This sort of advise is useless for the OP.
    If I need a diesel I won't want a cheaper petrol.
    Diesel cars second hand, are more expensive than the petrol versions.
    OP if you don't get any calls after a few weeks, then maybe drop your price a little and see how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I've just realised what's missing.

The obligatory picture of the car in 3 inches of water

:pac::D:cool:

J/k

J/k

An obligatory picture? Wow! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

J/k

Oh, and leave the lights on.....:D

Muckie wrote: »
    Oh, and leave the lights on.....:D

Needs some neon lights underneath the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 de Ville

I think that model Civic uses an Isuzu engine, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I certainly wouldn't pay 5k for a 2005 Civic when I can pay 6k for a 2005 Lexus GS300...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

OP, blur the reg, up the price, add "No dreamers, tire kickers, window lickers and test pilots!", maybe L@@K!!! into the title, the description should be text speak and don't forget to add r-type, evo, S class, diesel, petrol 4wd, turbo, lambo, garden hose, rocking horse, milking parlour and 4 way USB hub into the description.
    The take the ad down, re-advertise and put RE-ADVERTISED DUE TO TIMEWASTERS!!!! in the title.
    Don't forget "just testing the water", "not pushed on selling" and of course "quick sale due to emigration, part ex for new Porsche 911 considered"
    Beforehand bolt some crap from Halfords onto it.
    I'm sure it'll sell in a week! (They always seem to)

That made me smile because I've seen all that when I recently buying , the 'Owner emigrating - May swap WDYH' I seen a lot, what the hell? I thought you were emigrating?

Went and viewed one and anter the test drive your man goes ' I'm not pushed on selling, haven't got my new car yet' I nearly put him through the windscreen 'THEN WHY ARE YOU F****** WASTING MY TIME BEING HERE YOU PLANK!'

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sobanek wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't pay 5k for a 2005 Civic when I can pay 6k for a 2005 Lexus GS300...

The price comparison really isn't relevant. Both cars have a limited market but someone looking for a compact hatchback diesel isn't going to be also looking at mid size executive petrol saloons.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The price comparison really isn't relevant. Both cars have a limited market but someone looking for a compact hatchback diesel isn't going to be also looking at mid size executive petrol saloons.

Bit like the Top Gear episode where the guys buy ageing petrol guzzling saloons instead of a brand new super mini and touted them as alternatives, what was it again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bit like the Top Gear episode where the guys buy ageing petrol guzzling saloons instead of a brand new super mini and touted them as alternatives, what was it again?

Relevant if you don't mind the running costs. If I want a small diesel car, I'd like small running costs please.

Advertisement