Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Poor girl, R.I.P.
    Sick the way the Indo used her FB pic imho.
    As for the Gardai who advised her it was safe to move back home, the Gardai are many things but they are not psychic. I don't believe anyone i to 'blame' other than the perpetrator. May he reap what he has sown.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Lads, it's fine to put links in to newspaper articles, but apparently not to quote verbatim from them. I've removed all of the quotes just to be over-cautious, but one or two sentences quoted from a newpaper is probably fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Gaspode wrote: »
    Lads, it's fine to put links in to newspaper articles, but apparently not to quote verbatim from them. I've removed all of the quotes just to be over-cautious, but one or two sentences quoted from a newpaper is probably fine.

Sorry that was my fault, thought it was OK as long as I linked to the original article, sorry bout that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Heard a rumour that there was a break-in in littlepace anyone hear anything

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

Hi all, just a heads up about leaving your bike at the Blanchardstown centre. My friend has had TWO bikes stolen in the last two months. Apparently a dude with a bolt cutters is doing the rounds (they were good locks too). Just a warning for all to be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Hi all, just a heads up about leaving your bike at the Blanchardstown centre. My friend has had TWO bikes stolen in the last two months. Apparently a dude with a bolt cutters is doing the rounds (they were good locks too). Just a warning for all to be careful.
    Can you provide more info please.
    Where did he leave the bikes? (some areas are quiet)
    For how long? (minutes or hours?)
    What time of the day/week?
    Why type of bikes did he have? (expensive? cheap?)
    How much did the locks cost? (my main one cost 90 euro - I would expect it to be good enough)

Did he report both thefts to the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭horse7

Maybe the centre have some cctv on the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

Sure, she left them by the oratory. I think that's the yellow entrance. the bikes weren't new; both were second hand but she had good locks on them (better on the second one) but probably not 90 euro worth so you could be ok. It was reported to the centre security and the gardai. The last bike was there for three hours and it was checked on once an hour. I'm not sure what time it was stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

FYI for any bikers.

If you want to stop your bike from being nicked, chain it to something really solid using one of these chains:

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/hbXoXx225/Almax-Immobiliser-Series-III/c-1-69/

They are impervious to bolt cutters (really), and you need an angle grinder to cut through it.

At home, install a ground anchor as well. Anchor + Almax chain = bike ain't going anywhere.

Note: I'm not connected with the above website. I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Just to let people know that there is a traveller woman and a few kids going round door to door in the Littlepace area this evening. They are going door to door collecting "school sponsorship" money on blank sheets of paper. The woman with them has blonde hair.

• Advertisement

Arciphel wrote: »
    Just to let people know that there is a traveller woman and a few kids going round door to door in the Littlepace area this evening. They are going door to door collecting "school sponsorship" money on blank sheets of paper. The woman with them has blonde hair.
    Did you report this to the Gardai? If not, you should (have).

Yes, my neighbour called it in. Didn't see a squad car come around though, but it may have come across them further up the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Number_5

daymobrew wrote: »
    Did you report this to the Gardai? If not, you should (have).

Why 'should' the person have called the gardai?!? Sounds like she was calling around to houses asking for money for her kid. We can make assumptions, based on racial prejudices, but doesn't sound like she was doing anything illegal.

"she was carrying a blank piece of paper - call the guards quickly!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, had some strange kids call round the door on Friday last, now you mention it. I was busy at the time and have a cat in heat so as i didn't know the kids looking for sponsorship, (and because of the scruffy looking piece of paper and the way they banged & knocked & buzzed the bell ) I was quite abrupt with them.
    I never thought of calling the police though - and i don't know if they were travellers - but they were a bloody nuisance.
    Mulhuddart village area.

Number_5 wrote: »
    Why 'should' the person have called the gardai?!? Sounds like she was calling around to houses asking for money for her kid. We can make assumptions, based on racial prejudices, but doesn't sound like she was doing anything illegal.

She was calling for "school sponsorship". The OP's quotes gave me the impression that they didn't believe that it was legit. That is the illegal part.

Calling just looking for money is not illegal but that was not the case here.

Last night (Oct 8th) a taxi driver was robbery in Riverwood Chase. Similar situation to an identical robbery at the same location a few weeks ago. This time the 4 guys were caught. A local resident came out and got a black eye for his troubles.

In the previous robbery the 4 guys hailed the taxi on the south side and directed the driver to the end of Riverwood Chase. When they arrived they robbed him.
    In a similar incident a taxi was hailed in Lucan and directed to Carpenterstown Road (near Park Manor and Ben Dunne's place) and was threatened with a knife.

All incidents have been reported to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

daymobrew wrote: »
    She was calling for "school sponsorship". The OP's quotes gave me the impression that they didn't believe that it was legit. That is the illegal part.

Calling just looking for money is not illegal but that was not the case here.

I agree.

Calling looking for money is begging, no?

And is begging not illegal or is that just a Dublin city council area law?

And if you are looking for sponsorship for a school that doesn't exist it' fraud?

I remember last year or the year previous that there was the girl going around looking for sponsorship for "PAWS". This was a bogus collector and the guards were after here for it. Same thing, different day for me.

There was four kids aged between about 5 and 10 years of age, all girls. The mother would hang back on the road while they all went into the houses asking for sponsorship. They told me it was for a walk but didn't know when the walk was on, how long it was or who the charity was. The mother was also drinking out of a plastic bottle in her jacket and stunk of drink. They called into neighbours of mine and got very irate when the person in the house wouldn't open her patio door to them. They also had a good long look into the back of a few parked cars on the road as they were strolling around ;) purely for sponsorship purposes I assume. Number_5, the next time they call I'll send them over to your place for a cup of tea and a chat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Number_5 wrote: »

Obtaining money by deception is illegal. If there was no genuine sponsorship then what she was doing was illegal.
    Now, I'm no expert on sponsorship, but I don't think it's done with a plain blank piece of paper, so it certainly sounds suspicious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 180 ✭✭markas

Obtaining money by deception is illegal. If there was no genuine sponsorship then what she was doing was illegal.
    Now, I'm no expert on sponsorship, but I don't think it's done with a plain blank piece of paper, so it certainly sounds suspicious.

oh no.. How one can know when collecting money by kids is illegal?
    I would not like doing something illegal, but knowing these kids... they need help (not only financial, that's true)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

These kids are being sent out by their parents to do door to door begging.
    I posted this in the Dublin city forum a while ago, as I opened the door to a school girl in uniform, in July, collecting for her school.
    She had a card for St Margarets school Navan, doesn't exist, and why collect in Dublin.:confused:
    Other boardies confirmed that they had been in Swords and D15.
    The mother was following behind them in a car, there were 3 kids 10-14, not 4 but maybe one was on their day off begging as it was a Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭yoda2001

Those kids may need financial help but there are ways of getting help that do not involve exploiting children by sending them out begging looking for sponsorship.

There is no guarantee that the money collected will be used to benefit those kids in anyway.

One thing that really annoys me is mothers begging in town with a baby or toddler with them. So unfair on the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

For anyone with nice pets that are let outside, one of my neighbours had their lovely long haired ginger cat by the name of rocky stolen towards the back of the portersgate estate in broad daylight a few weeks ago by 3 young men in a silver (or possibly gold) mk4 (early 2000's) vw golf with a big exhaust and big alloys etc.

unfortunately nobody got the numberplate, but they were seen meeting with someone on foot who came from the allendale estate and talking for a few minutes before enticing the cat over and bundling him into the car before driving off with him.

after talking with my neighbours, they had spoken to the the Garda and the DSPCA about it, but although they were unable to identify the thieves, the DSPCA did say that they have had several reports of other animals disappearing locally, so it could be a trend.

That's a strange one.

I have heard of certain breeds of dogs being pinched but a ginger cat?

I would fear for that cat in fairness.

yeah, as terrible as it sounds you would imagine that they are going to use that cat to blood a dog or something :( sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,717 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I saw posters up for that stolen cat in Clonsilla station alright, he's obviously badly missed by the family. I hope the feckers that took him come upon a great deal of personal misfortune in the near future

I was walking past an undisclosed location in the D15 area last evening around 5.30pm when I saw a teenage lad, <snip>, about 17yo, running from a side road then on ahead of me, then I was startled by a Garda car blipping its siren right behind me and pulling up fast to the lad whereupon the two cops hopped out and ran after him for no more than 10 yards when the lad hopped up on the low wall and deftly vaulted the railing on top of it and took off across the green space of the estate he had gone into. Rather than tackle the railing themselves, one of the cops let a shout after the kid saying "you're wasting your time going that way, you're about to meet another (garda) car thats gone in there", and they watched him run off. As it happens I ended up encountering the same kid again a few minutes later at the far side of that estate, and he hadnt met another garda car or anything like it and was merrily strolling along.

Now I have no idea what he was supposed to have done but had I felt the cops were making an honest effort to catch him I might have called Blanch station and told them where he was, but I was so disillusioned that the cops on scene didnt bother their ar*es even trying to pursue him properly that I didnt bother. I know policing is a hard gig, but if the level of commitment demonstrated there is typical, then I feel sorry for anyone who encounters crime.

Arciphel wrote: »
    yeah, as terrible as it sounds you would imagine that they are going to use that cat to blood a dog or something :( sick.
    i'm actually hopefully optimistic that it was to give to someone or sell as a pet. if you just wanted cats to feed to dogs you could have a car full of them in a day just by responding to adverts in the buy and sell or donedeal.

he's a beautiful cat with a lovely temperament and he used to go for walks with my wife when she was taking the baby out around the estate and was known locally as being very friendly.

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm actually hopefully optimistic that it was to give to someone or sell as a pet. if you just wanted cats to feed to dogs you could have a car full of them in a day just by responding to adverts in the buy and sell or donedeal.

Its for the same reason I reckon it's going to come to harm.

It's just so easy to become the owner of a kitten/cat, free of charge.

Hopefully not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Oh no!!! Poor Rocky!!!! I saw the posters. I cannot believe thats what happened him :(

For what it's worth please pass word on this owners that I had been keeping an eye out for him. And will continue to...

I worry for my cat now. He roams (some might say strolls around as if he owns the place) in the area. Big fat back & white cat. But not as good personality as Rocky.

Poor Rocky :(

• Advertisement

yeah, it's shocking to think that people would do that.

keep an eye out anyway for the car, it's a silver vw golf with big alloys and a loud exhaust, early 2000's with 3 young lads who've been seen parked up around the area before.

the worrying thing for me is that someone came through the trees from allendale on foot and met them to show them the cat, so he's someone local living near us that we probably see from time to time who would see the other animals around the area as well. :(

Advertisement