Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Martin McGuinness to be named as Sinn Féins candidate for the Presidential Election?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yeah, you'd never catch FG nominating some Nordie Nationalist for President!

Don't think chicken currie really counted

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

And this country isn't called Eire, and we aren't called 'Eire-folk' btw, but then again, you already knew that.
    Hate to do this, but in fact this country has 2 names. Ireland (in English) and Éire (in Irish). It's not called the Republic of Ireland, but that is it's description.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

dulpit wrote: »
    Hate to do this, but in fact this country has 2 names. Ireland (in English) and Éire (in Irish). It's not called the Republic of Ireland, but that is it's description.

And I do not hate doing this but

THe Constitution says when speaking the English language, the name of the Country is Ireland. When speaking Irish, the name of the country is Eire. You are speaking English the last time I checked, no

If you are speaking in the English language, what do you call Wales or Germany? Do you refer to them by the names / translations that they are also known as.? If not, why not?

The British have been known, in the past to persist on using Eire until recently. It was used as a term of insult, or a reference to the division of the country, or ignorance.

THe EU refers this country as "Ireland" and not "Eire".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 myself69

The British have been known, in the past to persist on using Eire until recently. It was used as a term of insult, or a reference to the division of the country, or ignorance.

THe EU refers this country as "Ireland" and not "Eire".

Regardless, nobody should be ashamed that the country is called Éire. Most British people refer to the country by Éire because that is what is on the stamps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

vellocet wrote: »
    So it is perfectly alright for the nordies to move on and have former gunmen in power, but heaven forbid us in the south have to do the same? Its rank hypocricy.

No, it's their choice.

They were given the options of those who weren't violence (and murder-innocents) minded people, and they chose not to avail of those options.

I can't understand or explain that choice, but that's the choice they made.

The same as Bush being elected in America.

I can give my opinion of the above, which actually differs very little, but since those people won't be representing me or my country, it naturally means less to me.

However if Bush or Blair or some other warmonger was looking to represent my country, I would be just as vocal re the "no way"....and the fact is that those 2 had a mandate for what they did, unlike the IRA.

• Advertisement

myself69 wrote: »
    Regardless, nobody should be ashamed that the country is called Éire. Most British people refer to the country by Éire because that is what is on the stamps.

OK, let's accept that you have a point....

......now can you explain where the ridiculous "Eirefolk" crap materialised from ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

Anyone hear Fintan O'Toole on the Nolan show today? He was badly shown up for his hypocrisy and ended up having a hissy fit and hanging up. Was well out of his depth.

He killed many people either directly or indirectly. He was rewarded for giving up killing people with the leverage to achieve a cushy political job, which he has held for the last long while.

Precisely.

In another thread (which was locked due to the redirecting of all election posts to here) I didn't get a chance to reply to a false comment that was directed at my opinion, asking for proof that McGuinness murdered anyone.

That post was complete hyperbole and deflection, because my post had clearly stated that "he was a member of an organisation that murdered people".

But as usual the truth was twisted to try to make it look like I said something that I didn't.

And whatever about views on murder, that twisting and misdirection by supporters of McGuinness is the part that worries me most - if you don't agree with their viewpoint, they will twist and lie and misrepresent as much as possible.

That said, that ironically shows that they have fully engaged in what passes for politics in this country - challenge and obfuscate any valid questions to which the answer may be awkward to admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Anyone hear Fintan O'Toole on the Nolan show today? He was badly shown up for his hypocrisy and ended up having a hissy fit and hanging up. Was well out of his depth.
    No, sounds like something I would enjoy though, I must get the podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Link?

What's the Nolan Show? What station?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Top of rte polls today :D Controversial candidate for the Republic of Ireland's Presidency Martin McGuinness has topped a flash poll carried out by state broadcaster RTE with 5,947 votes.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/poll-shock-sinn-feins-martin-mcguinness-tops-rte-election-vote-for-irish-president-16052938.html#ixzz1Yb7w4yRB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Link?

Ulster radio.

Stephen Nolan show.

I don't think Fintan would be out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

dulpit wrote: »

True, although eire hasn't been the official name for Ireland, in the English language, for more than half a century. I didn't capitalise the r of republic for the reason you outlined. :p

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Link?

In the mean time we can have a laugh at this...

"Its good to get Kevin annoyed" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    "Its good to get Kevin annoyed" :pac:

Absolutely.

Can someone tell me what the significance of the Wombat picture used over that sound clip is?

Hahahhahahaha

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014m077

From 35 mins on, he keeps shouting people down, he throws a complete wobbler and hangs up because he gets made a fool of over his objections to people mentioning Mandela or Dev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I presume British people get letters with stamps that say Deutschland and Espana, Srbija and Norge, is that what they call those countries in day-to-day convos?
    Just sayin.

Really? You are naive.

How many British people would be looking at our stamps. Has the trend of sending money to and Ireland to the UK returned?

It is done intentionally for political reasons and continued by the people through ignorance

Ireland has only one name. It is called Ireland. Its Irish version is called Eire. Sure we might as well all start calling Germany , Duetschland sure, isn't it rather catchy

The only people should should be calling Ireland by its Irish title, are Irish people, or more accurately, those who are speaking Irish at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Precisely.

In another thread (which was locked due to the redirecting of all election posts to here) I didn't get a chance to reply to a false comment that was directed at my opinion, asking for proof that McGuinness murdered anyone.

That post was complete hyperbole and deflection, because my post had clearly stated that "he was a member of an organisation that murdered people".

But as usual the truth was twisted to try to make it look like I said something that I didn't.

And whatever about views on murder, that twisting and misdirection by supporters of McGuinness is the part that worries me most - if you don't agree with their viewpoint, they will twist and lie and misrepresent as much as possible.

That said, that ironically shows that they have fully engaged in what passes for politics in this country - challenge and obfuscate any valid questions to which the answer may be awkward to admit.

No, you refused to respond to any of the posters that called you out on your general comments and failed to back any of them up with evidence.

You are clearly on some sort of mission to connect MMG with every atrocity the IRA committed yet the man himself condemned a lot of wrongs the organisation committed.

Don't let that get in the way of your little crusade though Liam, you had plenty of time to respond to mine and others requests for evidence of your accusations.

You also have a habit of accusing posters of hyperbole and deflection, I chuckled because you and another well known British poster are the biggest culprits of them.

• Advertisement

Hahahhahahaha

From 35 mins on, he keeps shouting people down, he throws a complete wobbler and hangs up because he gets made a fool of over his objections to people mentioning Mandela or Dev.
    Listening to it now.

I think people need to just let the voters decide. It was a conflict. People know he was in the PIRA. I am a bit surprised he is hated this much in the south though. I knew he was disliked but so many people seem to be against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Hahahhahahaha

Poor show from O'Toole - it's was him that was talking over the other guy.
    Oh, what a wonderful few weeks are in store - plenty more toys being thrown out of prams from all sides.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    No, it's their choice.

They were given the options of those who weren't violence (and murder-innocents) minded people, and they chose not to avail of those options.

I can't understand or explain that choice, but that's the choice they made.

The same as Bush being elected in America.

I can give my opinion of the above, which actually differs very little, but since those people won't be representing me or my country, it naturally means less to me.

However if Bush or Blair or some other warmonger was looking to represent my country, I would be just as vocal re the "no way"....and the fact is that those 2 had a mandate for what they did, unlike the IRA.

That is not how it sounded by the government of 1997-2001 and 2001-2007. They did alot of canvassing on behalf of Sinn Féin to convince the Unionists.

The extremsist of Sinn Fein and DUP were NEEDED to be brought in to ensure stability. Fianna Fáil, finally realised that refusal to talk to shinners, whether in public or in private, was not working. (take a bow Bruton)

Funny, there was once a time, when Fianna Fáil were looking to set up a party in the 6 counties. SF and SDLP were not too keen at the time.

But, on the basis of your past record, I would attest that this poster is genuine and consistent in his/her views.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

I thought Catholics were equal to Protestant's and discrimination is banned (after all, we are all European's)

Oh dear! Catholics have made progress but there is still a long way to go before Protestant privilege has been completely abolished.

crucamim wrote: »
    Oh dear! Catholics have made progress but there is still a long way to go before Protestant privilege has been completely abolished.
    What do you mean?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think i vote for him just for the international headlines

"Former terrs commander(IRA) voted prez of Ireland"

let them figure it out.

It's that kind of attitude that has this country where it is. A vote is an important right, not something to be thrown away to see the 'international headlines'. If people voted for the best people rather than a party, a personality or a surname we could possibly become a first world country again someday.

Ireland gets enough negative International headlines without being looked at as a quasi paramilitary state.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    What do you mean?

He means he is a troll :pac:

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Listening to it now.

I think people need to just let the voters decide. It was a conflict. People know he was in the PIRA. I am a bit surprised he is hated this much in the south though. I knew he was disliked but so many people seem to be against him.

ah Martin McGuinness is grumpy, with a face only a mother could love, so how Gerry Adams (not necessarily the man of more substance) gets all the kudos.

Yes, he is disliked, hated, well we shall see. Its no small wonder that the parties are terrified of at least the threat McGuinness can cause. Mitchell was very quite lately, but this will spring him to life now

There is word of allegations, not necessarily well founded raised by Mitchell (no surprise there) that a recent roll was high jacked by Shinner's that was very positive about MMG (you see VD this is why I don't give polls the time of day and neither should other people). Whether its true or not, don't go making allegations that you can't prove.

Ah, good old Presidential Elections, they really bring out the worse in some Irish People.

You are clearly on some sort of mission to connect MMG with every atrocity the IRA committed yet the man himself condemned a lot of wrongs the organisation committed.

FFS he was a senior member.

Martin Borman was unduly tarred by association with the Nazi party etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

"He killed many people either directly or indirectly."

Can you prove that?

"he has hated three governments: Stormont, Westminster and Dublin."

What could be wrong with that?

"He has not exactly been the greatest bridge-builder with the Protestant community"

Hear, hear. I hope that you are not passing judgement on an Northern Ireland Catholic's behaviour towards his oppressors.

Advertisement