Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home Heating Oil Price Comparisons

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

danniemcq wrote: »
    Think he means he's sickened he didn't wait till now to save 20 quid instead of getting it at the start of the month.

Wants other people to feel his pain

the first bit , not the second bit in the least

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Has anyone got an update on prices. Dipped the tank at the weekend and have about eight inches left.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Penfailed

A&N €417. I didn't get any other prices!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,792 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As they're one of the ones without prices on their site or on
    http://www.cheapestoil.ie/heating-oil-prices/donegal.aspx

I rang Tinneys. €430 for 500 litres

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ally k

67 cent a litre in the north regardless of how much u take or thats 335 euro for 500 litres serious difference have to collect but....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ally k wrote: »
    67 cent a litre in the north regardless of how much u take or thats 335 euro for 500 litres serious difference have to collect but....

But....

It's illegal.

its not as long as your using it for your own house and not selling it on .....

It's still illegal. Doesn't matter if you're selling it on or watering your plants with it.

Trust me, I live a few miles from the border and I work in Derry.

If it was legal, I'd be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Its mentioned a few times in the thread and like Dr. Phil says it does seem to be illegal

all i know is there is plenty of people doing it ..sure not everything the government is doing is legal either.. In these times everyone is trying their best to survive and all they are trying to do is keep their families warm .(basic needs) ..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think it is illegal, its one of the goods that are classed as smuggling (whereas you can buy your groceries in the North and take them acrsoss freely).

Having said that, many do it, but they take it small quantities most of the time. I think there is a station in Strabane who have a sign saying if you are taking >100litres, they have to inform RoI Revenue.

It would be the big smugglers they want, not the guy taking 50litres over to heat his house to save a few quid.

all i know is there is plenty of people doing it ..sure not everything the government is doing is legal either.. In these times everyone is trying their best to survive and all they are trying to do is keep their families warm .(basic needs) ..............

You can justify illegal activity any way you want. Why not just go rob a post office with that same logic?

Illegal = illegal.

End of.

thats exactly right no harm in the average joe taking over 3 or 4 drums anytime he is crossing ...This country is making the people pay for their reckless spending with their raft of extra charges ..We haven't seen nothing yet i certainly have no problem with the people trying to save a few quid ..

If it was legal, the NI oil distributors would be falling over themselves to supply homes in RoI.

But they ain't allowed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

MOD

Right any more chat of illegal activities will be deleted and users will be banned.

Boards is not for discussing illegal activities and this thread is about home heating oil comparisons in Donegal.

Lets leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You beat me to it dannie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭supersonic64

Got €500 euro worth on Friday, amounted to 590ltrs.
    .847 per ltr or €423.72 for 500ltrs from Donegal Oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Hello, I've recently moved to Donegal there on the 1st of September.
    Just wondering can anyone recommend a good place where I can get oil for heating? I feel like a boat without a paddle when it comes to that kinda thing.

Living in ramelton and just trying to get me feet on the ground and be prepared for winter! Moved up from maynooth.

I'll move the above post to another thread we had last winter which is due for an update at this time of year anyhow.

The last few times I filled up I ordered from A & N Fuels in Buncrana who deliver all over the county (Tel: 074-9361542, 074 - 9320795). I found them to be the cheapest when pricing around and just to note that I never had any issues with their kerosene.

Swilly Fuels are also competitive and I heard someone say that Swilly and A&N were both owned by the same company. This link shows Swilly fuels being the cheapest today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

We buy of McGgonigle oil inishowen.Havent a clue off the price but must be ok dont hear the oh complaining too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Thanks for the help! I need as much as I can get, living a long way away from home and I'm trying to find me feet!

All that's next now is internet haha

don't forget to ask for a discount. Inishowen oil always price match the lowest quote i can get.

500 ltrs oil 6/10/14

A&N e404
    Coyle fuels e410
    inishowen oil e410 (but agreed to e400)

I have McGonagle oil on the way at €390 for 500 litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Topaz at the Mountain Top in Letterkenny are selling kerosene at 85c per litre if your filling up a 20l drum. Not sure on the rest of the town but this is the cheapest i've seen.

That works out at 425e for 500l, assuming you don't have to pay for the drums of course, plus the hassle of trooping back and forward from them to your tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

NIMAN wrote: »
    That works out at 425e for 500l, assuming you don't have to pay for the drums of course, plus the hassle of trooping back and forward from them to your tank.

No, you refill the drum that you bring. Its perfect for plenty of people though including myself who can only afford to top up the oil as they go.

No, you refill the drum that you bring. Its perfect for plenty of people though including myself who can only afford to top up the oil as they go.

Yeah, I mean buy a stock of drums yourself. That would add 30e or so to the total cost, but you will always have them to do refills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭supersonic64

20/11/14
    Donegal Oil €770 for 1000ltrs. 2 seperate fills of 400 and 600 ltrs neighbouring houses.

Advertisement