Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever write an letter to get out of a fine etc and succeed?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I got out of a parking fine before because I couldn't see the double yellow lines with the snow
    I knew bloody well they were there but I saw my chance and I took it god damn it!

A man in my locality refused to pay a dangerous driving fine because a 'well respected business man' was up before him with a very very similar charge, and also had a fantastic way with words and got off.
    My neighbour wouldn't be so fortunate with his elecutionary skills but felt himslf hard doneby and told the judge there and then that he wouldn't be paying this fine and kicked up a fuss. He was sent to mountjoy for a few days, consisted of a taxi ride up with two Garda, on arrival they learned there was no room for him so they had to let him go. They couldnt go back with him for legal reasons, not being in custody etc. So he requested money for a taxi (to mayo) which he got, and also money for a dinner. He then called the wife and she drove up, they spent the night in a nice hotel, had a good dinner (a good ride I will presume) and drove back the next day felling that justice had been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Silly boy, I’ve gotten out of 2 tram fines now using my Irish accent and claming either that I had just arrived in the country or was just leaving. When asked where I was staying I just gave the name of a backpackers and If they asked what room I was staying in said the dormitory. They let me go one time without a fine and the other time he took my name and the name of the backpackers I said I was staying in but probably did nothing as I said I was leaving that evening.

One time in London I got on one of the bendy busses and forgot to swipe on with my oyster card.
    An inspector came on and checked my card which obviously hadn’t been validated. I said that I had tried to validate it but that my student card must have interfered with it (this actually happens as my student card used the same technology as the oyster making it think you are swiping two cards at once I had noticed it happening a couple of times previously). The guy said that he would be reporting my case and took my details.

I forgot about it until about a month later I received a letter saying I would have to pay a fine now (It was something like 200 pounds) or be taken to court and have to pay a larger fine and possible legal costs. I read up on the conditions that I could be excused for having not paid and one of them was that if I had made an attempt to pay but there was a failure on the part of the technology. So I wrote a letter explaining that my student card had interfered with the machine and so it did not take the money off.

I forgot about it again until about a month later when I received a court summons! I read through the summons which included a statement from the inspector. In it he basically made out that he asked me why I had done it and that I just said “I’m sorry” this was a blatant lie as I had said that my student card must have interfered with the thing.

The summons also indicated that I could still pay a fine now to stop it going to court.

I decided to return the summons and plead not guilty as the guy who had inspected my ticket had blatantly lied in his statement and I had previously sent the later explaining exactly what I had said on the bus.
    One of the sections in the summons asked me if I wised to dispute the evidence given by the witness (the inspector) which would require him to be present. I said yes to this. 2 weeks later I got another letter saying that they would not be perusing the case.

There must be so many people who just accept the initial fine even if they don’t think they deserve it just because they are scared that they may lose and have to pay more. Id say they drop the majority of cases where people actually contest it as its not worth the hassle and only go forward with a minority of cases to try and make examples of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Doc wrote: »
    Silly boy, I’ve gotten out of 2 tram fines now using my Irish accent and claming either that I had just arrived in the country or was just leaving. When asked where I was staying I just gave the name of a backpackers and If they asked what room I was staying in said the dormitory. They let me go one time without a fine and the other time he took my name and the name of the backpackers I said I was staying in but probably did nothing as I said I was leaving that evening.

One time in London I got on one of the bendy busses and forgot to swipe on with my oyster card.
    An inspector came on and checked my card which obviously hadn’t been validated. I said that I had tried to validate it but that my student card must have interfered with it (this actually happens as my student card used the same technology as the oyster making it think you are swiping two cards at once I had noticed it happening a couple of times previously). The guy said that he would be reporting my case and took my details.

I forgot about it until about a month later I received a letter saying I would have to pay a fine now (It was something like 200 pounds) or be taken to court and have to pay a larger fine and possible legal costs. I read up on the conditions that I could be excused for having not paid and one of them was that if I had made an attempt to pay but there was a failure on the part of the technology. So I wrote a letter explaining that my student card had interfered with the machine and so it did not take the money off.

I forgot about it again until about a month later when I received a court summons! I read through the summons which included a statement from the inspector. In it he basically made out that he asked me why I had done it and that I just said “I’m sorry” this was a blatant lie as I had said that my student card must have interfered with the thing.

The summons also indicated that I could still pay a fine now to stop it going to court.

I decided to return the summons and plead not guilty as the guy who had inspected my ticket had blatantly lied in his statement and I had previously sent the later explaining exactly what I had said on the bus.
    One of the sections in the summons asked me if I wised to dispute the evidence given by the witness (the inspector) which would require him to be present. I said yes to this. 2 weeks later I got another letter saying that they would not be perusing the case.

There must be so many people who just accept the initial fine even if they don’t think they deserve it just because they are scared that they may lose and have to pay more. Id say they drop the majority of cases where people actually contest it as its not worth the hassle and only go forward with a minority of cases to try and make examples of people.

You in Melbourne??

You'd wanna be a sucker to buy tickets there, worst case scenario 'whats the phone number of someone you're living with so I can confirm your adress?'
    'ok here you go....'
    Give him the address of California Club

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Doc wrote: »

Thats what i reckon. They couldnt be bothered with the hassle because the money dosnt go directly to that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

You in Melbourne??

You'd wanna be a sucker to buy tickets there, worst case scenario 'whats the phone number of someone you're living with so I can confirm your adress?'
    'ok here you go....'
    Give him the address of California Club

Yep! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Got away with a parking fine in cork city. I had wifes engagement ring with me (to be cleaned). As he was typing away i took it out to explain i was proposing, oh how i lol'd !!:)

Advertisement