Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Purchase or No?

• 21-02-2012 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just looking for a bit of feedback here. First time buying a car by myself, I have a fair idea about cars but not sure if it's enough to get me by when buying! I went to view a 2003 Ford Fiesta 1.3 (it seems to be the general consensus that the 1.25 are better?) this evening. Was happy with how the car drove, very smooth, no issues with gears or brakes. Tyres all good and car runs quiet. There is a timing chain on it so this saves the issue of when the timing belt needs changing, but I'm not sure if the chain needs to be checked? It has 97,000 miles with a full service history, NCT 2-13.

Haggled down to 2,500 so far, said I'd think about it and get back to her. There are a few scratches on it, no dents, nothing out of the ordinary for a 9 year old car. Only thing is there is a tear/scratch about 1cm wide on the ledge of the boot, it seems to have been backed into something that scratched it. Everything else seems fine though, but I'm just wondering should I be concerned about this?

Otherwise, is there anything in particular I should know before making a purchase, or any feedback from the experienced boardies here?! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Get a 1.25 16v. It's massively better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Get a 1.25 16v. It's massively better.

Is there any reason why though? I just keep hearing they are better, but it only seems to be on fuel economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Depends what you use the car for. Most Fiestas are just glorified shopping trolleys / school run cars. No offense. Our one was like that.

The 1.25 is more powerful, more lively, more modern and uses less fuel. The 1.3 is ancient but very reliable and indeed, does not need any TB changes and is cheaper to buy in the first place

If I was a young fella / young wan interested in a bit of nippy driving with reasonable insurance, I'd buy the 1.25

For everybody else, the 1.3 can make a lot of sense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

unkel wrote: »
    Depends what you use the car for. Most Fiestas are just glorified shopping trolleys / school run cars. No offense. Our one was like that.

The 1.25 is more powerful, more lively, more modern and uses less fuel. The 1.3 is ancient but very reliable and indeed, does not need any TB changes and is cheaper to buy in the first place

If I was a young fella / young wan interested in a bit of nippy driving with reasonable insurance, I'd buy the 1.25

For everybody else, the 1.3 can make a lot of sense...

Thanks for this. I use it mostly for driving to work (10-15 minute city drive) 5 days a week, the odd trip a bit further in the evenings or on weekends, and a once monthly 400km round trip, motorway driving. Main thing for me is reliability and fuel economy. I'm upgrading from a Yaris, which for a 1L was a nippy little thing! I'll look into the 1.25. Is 2,500 a bit much for a 1.3 2003 or is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

coco_lola wrote: »
    I'm upgrading from a Yaris, which for a 1L was a nippy little thing!

Yaris has similar performance to a 1.3 Fiesta. 1.25 is a lot quicker! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

coco_lola wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I use it mostly for driving to work (10-15 minute city drive) 5 days a week, the odd trip a bit further in the evenings or on weekends, and a once monthly 400km round trip, motorway driving. Main thing for me is reliability and fuel economy. I'm upgrading from a Yaris, which for a 1L was a nippy little thing! I'll look into the 1.25. Is 2,500 a bit much for a 1.3 2003 or is this normal?
    Keep the Yaris. The 1.3 Fiesta is very thirsty for it's size and paltry power output. You'd be better off finding a 1.6 Civic that'll have twice the power of the Fiesta and use less fuel if you want a change.

Advertisement