Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

building a website. dont know much about computers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Nobody paying attention to free web hosting with amazon web services? Nobody?

you'd want to be sure it's capped before the charges kick in

getting ddos'd or /. or whatever would be pricy otherwise

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Nobody paying attention to free web hosting with amazon web services? Nobody?

There's a long standing boards rule against discussing specific web hosts, that may have something to do with the lack of responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Aye, I think a loophole of sorts might be throwing options out there. They can decide for themselves what looks good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

I'd also suggest taking a look at weebly.com. It's very quick, simple, reliable and cheap.

Checked on YouTube and this one looks easy enough. What's the final costs once its all completed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Send me a message and we can discuss me building a website for you. If you warm.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    What's more important to you?

1) Learning to build websites
    2) Getting an inexpensive website for your business?

Your answer to that will dictate the most appropriate approach. E.g. a site builder (quick, easy, monthly cost) or WordPress/HTML/Joomla (cheap, flexible and harder but potentially smaller monthly cost).

would you have a price difference between the 2 options.

Site builders start about €10 month, self hosted WordPress from about €5.

If you're looking for a quick inexpensive website for your business, it would be worth looking at one of the decent site builders.

Site builders start about €10 month, self hosted WordPress from about €5.

If you're looking for a quick inexpensive website for your business, it would be worth looking at one of the decent site builders.

I'd also suggest taking a look at weebly.com. It's very quick, simple, reliable and cheap.

Cheap! Its saying 23euro a month for business site so compare that with squarespace, thats even more expensive!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

shugy wrote: »
    Cheap! Its saying 23euro a month for business site so compare that with squarespace, thats even more expensive!

Do you need a Business website? they also have the free hosting or the Starter.

It all depends what you need your website to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hadn't considered that you might need that business site :o it's cheap if you just want a site for advertising/display purposes! Basically free, I just pay a small bit for hosting and their anonymous registry.

nava wrote: »
    Do you need a Business website? they also have the free hosting or the Starter.

It all depends what you need your website to do.

What exactly is a business website. I'm basically looking a site where I can show work I do in pictures and maybe some videos on YouTube I'll be uploading. Also have a page where people can post reviews of my work. That's about it. Nothing to complicated. What category site would that fall under.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

What exactly is a business website. I'm basically looking a site where I can show work I do in pictures and maybe some videos on YouTube I'll be uploading. Also have a page where people can post reviews of my work. That's about it. Nothing to complicated. What category site would that fall under.

I think any basic package will do, you would need a bigger package if you were expecting 1000's of visitors, also depending on the number of pictures you might need more storage.

You could start with a basic package (even free) if you see you need more space, Bandwidth, etc you could upgrade to the next package.

Some hosting provider also have a catalogue of software (for blogs, Wikis, image gallery, forums,etc) depending what you want your website for that could be install with a couple of clicks and not much configuration needed.

nava wrote: »
    I think any basic package will do, you would need a bigger package if you were expecting 1000's of visitors, also depending on the number of pictures you might need more storage.

You could start with a basic package (even free) if you see you need more space, Bandwidth, etc you could upgrade to the next package.

Some hosting provider also have a catalogue of software (for blogs, Wikis, image gallery, forums,etc) depending what you want your website for that could be install with a couple of clicks and not much configuration needed.

At a max 500 pics and a few videos. Would that seem excessive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Hi

Maybe a practise run is called for

have you looked at wordpress.com? (not .org wordpress.org is a site for the wordpress application that you run on your own webspace)

steps:
    • go to https://wordpress.com/
    • select a theme, any theme this is a work through
    • think of a reasonable name for the site e.g. shugysbusiness
    • select the free plan
    • select the free plan again
    • put in your email address
    • and create a good password

Now you only get 3 gigs webspace but that is fine as you can use flickr or instragram or facebook or loads of others to host your images

use youtube to host your videos.

once that is ready and in some sort of order you can pay to transfer over your domain and you now have a website. done.

I know you said you do not like the premade ones but as you are starting out it is probably the best way to go

sheesh wrote: »
    Hi

have you looked at wordpress.com? (not .org wordpress.org is a site for the wordpress application that you run on your own webspace)

steps:
    • select the free plan

Now you only get 3 gigs webspace but that is fine as you can use flickr or instragram or facebook or loads of others to host your images

once that is ready and in some sort of order you can pay to transfer over your domain and you now have a website. done.

I know you said you do not like the premade ones but as you are starting out it is probably the best way to go

I will try this tomorrow. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I will try this tomorrow. Thanks

let us know how you get on.

:)

sheesh wrote: »
    Hi

steps:
    • select the free plan

Just had a quick look. It's asking me for 13 euro for domain mapping before I am go any further. Is there no way around this untill I can get a feel of the site.

Wordpress.com would be low in my list of recommendations. Too many restrictions compared to normal WordPress and you're limited to a fairly basic theme selection.

Wordpress.com would be low in my list of recommendations. Too many restrictions compared to normal WordPress and you're limited to a fairly basic theme selection.

What's the difference between .com and .org WordPress

• Advertisement

.com Wordpress is locked down to a select few themes and plugins but there's hardly any setup involved.

.org Wordpress can run on almost any web host and gives you a lot more flexibility in terms of themes and plugins. It requires some initial setup but many web hosts have automated much of the fiddly parts.

.com Wordpress is locked down to a select few themes and plugins but there's hardly any setup involved.

.org Wordpress can run on almost any web host and gives you a lot more flexibility in terms of themes and plugins. It requires some initial setup but many web hosts have automated much of the fiddly parts.

I have came across wix.com and quite like this site rather than weebley but have hit a problem with wix now. I found a handyman template which is perfect for what i need but when i change over to the mobile view, my site is all over the place :( Is there anyone on here who knows why im getting this problem?

What have you changed from the original template, did it work properly before you changed anything? Have you replaced default images with multi-megapixel images of your own?

What have you changed from the original template, did it work properly before you changed anything? Have you replaced default images with multi-megapixel images of your own?

Been at it most of the day and well pleased with what i have now. I can now link my images to the pages i want it to go to. One thing i cant get my head around is when i go to mobile option, the writing above my pics doesnt stay there. For example - on top of each picture i have like plastering on top of me skimming a wall. I have painting wrote above my pic that shows me painting and so on. Thats fine on pc mode but when i go to mobile mode and scroll down, i get all the boxes with my writing ontop of one other then scroll further down, all my pics on top of one another. I was hoping the writing would stay ontop of my pics.

Been at it most of the day and well pleased with what i have now. I can now link my images to the pages i want it to go to. One thing i cant get my head around is when i go to mobile option, the writing above my pics doesnt stay there. For example - on top of each picture i have like plastering on top of me skimming a wall. I have painting wrote above my pic that shows me painting and so on. Thats fine on pc mode but when i go to mobile mode and scroll down, i get all the boxes with my writing ontop of one other then scroll further down, all my pics on top of one another. I was hoping the writing would stay ontop of my pics.

That's responsive design, the content is designed to move around particularly on smaller screens when things inevitably just stack.

I obviously don't know the style you're using (or Wix) but you may be able to put the text and image for each subject in a single container/row/box/dix/section (whatever they call it).

Your safest bet is to start with the default design, see how it looks on a mobile (including image/text positioning) then replace the text/images with your own.

ejabrod wrote: »

I have finished building my site with wix but now i dont know how to get it live on the internet. Someone has even mentioned to me that ive just wasted my time because wix is useless for .ie sites! Feel like pulling my hair out now!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

If you have built a site with Wicks it should already be live on the web. What is your website address (PM it if you prefer).

The course I linked will not remain free for long (may even be gone already). you can sign up, have lifetime access and use it whenever you get time (if you never use it, you have lost nothing)

Forgot to ask: where are you located?

• Advertisement

You can connect your own domain to a Wix website but that option is only available to premium accounts:

https://www.wix.com/support/html5/article/connecting-a-domain-purchased-elsewhere

Advertisement