Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soll 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

d2ww wrote: »

It's my trademark! Soll can recover very quickly & maintain great pistes despite bad weather, so a lot of the panic generated is often unnecessary. My biggest concern for New Years is the crowds! But that's half the fun :-)

d2ww wrote: »

It's my trademark! Soll can recover very quickly & maintain great pistes despite bad weather, so a lot of the panic generated is often unnecessary. My biggest concern for New Years is the crowds! But that's half the fun :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

I'm currently looking into booking Soll for the 26th Dec - 2nd Jan.
    Is it worth it at the moment?
    Will there be snow on the slopes?
    Are all the slopes open?

I've been skiing the last 3 years and I've never been to Soll.
    I just want to know if I'll be able to ski for the week?

Thanks!

I'm currently looking into booking Soll for the 26th Dec - 2nd Jan.
    Is it worth it at the moment?
    Will there be snow on the slopes?
    Are all the slopes open?

I've been skiing the last 3 years and I've never been to Soll.
    I just want to know if I'll be able to ski for the week?

Thanks!

Ooh if you haven't booked, I wouldn't at the moment tbh. Yes the slopes are open etc but it will be very busy that week, so will be stressful if conditions don't improve between now and then. A good drop in temp is needed! The slopes will still be open & the party will still be amazing! But there will be better weeks to make a first impression ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

fannymagee wrote: »
    Ooh if you haven't booked, I wouldn't at the moment tbh. Yes the slopes are open etc but it will be very busy that week, so will be stressful if conditions don't improve between now and then. A good drop in temp is needed! The slopes will still be open & the party will still be amazing! But there will be better weeks to make a first impression ;)

I think we're going to risk it. We want to get away for Christmas and we're going for the party as much as the skiing.
    We're likely to go skiing again in late February/March anyway so if the skiing is average we can always make up for it then :D

• Advertisement

I think we're going to risk it. We want to get away for Christmas and we're going for the party as much as the skiing.
    We're likely to go skiing again in late February/March anyway so if the skiing is average we can always make up for it then :D

Ah well then you won't be disappointed!! It's a bloody great party that week, enjoy! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Fanny? Did you just advise someone against going to soll?

Get to the doctor quick girl

a148pro wrote: »
    Fanny? Did you just advise someone against going to soll?

Get to the doctor quick girl

Haha I know, and they're going anyway- my kinda people!!

The last thing I want is for people to go to Soll & be disappointed, so I'd never recommend someone to go unless I genuinely believe they'll have a good time. And in fairness- I tend to get it right! This time last year is a case in point ;-)

Ski school problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭crosbie

Hi fannymagee. Off to Söll on Monday - looking forward to it. Thanks for this thread we found it really useful in helping us with our booking.
    What are the current conditions like?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

crosbie wrote: »
    Hi fannymagee. Off to Söll on Monday - looking forward to it. Thanks for this thread we found it really useful in helping us with our booking.
    What are the current conditions like?
    Thanks

happy New Year Crosbie!

I'm sure you've seen that conditions are less than ideal the moment(!), but the crowds will have lessened by the time you arrive, which will help! It's also getting colder, so keep your fingers & toes crossed for some snowfall early in the week! And as always the aprés is great, so ski in the mornings, eat drink & be merry in the evenings & have a great week! :-)

Frohe Silvester everyone!! :-)

Aaanddd... IT'S SNOWING!!! :-)

I've said it before and I'll say it again- Soll can turn conditions around overnight. Happy skiing Crosbie!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I've said it before and I'll say it again- Soll can turn conditions around overnight. Happy skiing Crosbie!! :-)

That's a lot of snow helicoptered in. 😄😄

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Fanny,
    Just want to say thanks to this thread we had a great time in Soll. Am just back and loved it...want to go back to Soll next year.
    For anyone going the runs are machine groomed and made...We had no fresh snow it was a bit more icy but it was still great skiing. Food, apres ski and Greise Kirchner (beer) was fab!
    We used Tirol-taxi and they were fabulous.
    We stayed in Sonnerhof Pension. A stroll from gondolas and the family was so helpful I don't want to stay anywhere else. Very good value large rooms and apt.
    Can't wait to go back enjoy everyone else in the coming months.

JEmily wrote: »
    Fanny,
    Just want to say thanks to this thread we had a great time in Soll. Am just back and loved it...want to go back to Soll next year.
    For anyone going the runs are machine groomed and made...We had no fresh snow it was a bit more icy but it was still great skiing. Food, apres ski and Greise Kirchner (beer) was fab!
    We used Tirol-taxi and they were fabulous.
    We stayed in Sonnerhof Pension. A stroll from gondolas and the family was so helpful I don't want to stay anywhere else. Very good value large rooms and apt.
    Can't wait to go back enjoy everyone else in the coming months.

Ah brilliant!! Great to hear JEmily, thanks for this! :-) xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭istaunton

Day 3 with 84 days to go. Snow coverage is not great but where there is snow it's perfect. Plus the snow making at night is really making a difference one more decent dump and soll will be in great shape.

And thanks again fanny for all the help up to this point if only you could sort more snow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

sounds good. Going tomorrow myself! I'm a bit excited :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭crosbie

Just back from Söll yesterday. Tough skiing conditions but fair play to resort for their work keeping the slopes open - some of the Blues were harder than the blacks and black 23 was tough and really icy by the end of the week. People in Söll are so friendly. We will be back!!

• Advertisement

crosbie wrote: »
    Just back from Söll yesterday. Tough skiing conditions but fair play to resort for their work keeping the slopes open - some of the Blues were harder than the blacks and black 23 was tough and really icy by the end of the week. People in Söll are so friendly. We will be back!!

Great to hear, Crosbie! Gotta love a good aul' icy black, makes you feel alive haha. Delighted you enjoyed! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Fanny, quick question, is there free public parking at the Gondola (or is it pay as you go)? On my way over for a short break in mid-march. Thanks

drkpower wrote: »
    Fanny, quick question, is there free public parking at the Gondola (or is it pay as you go)? On my way over for a short break in mid-march. Thanks

Yes it's free! What dates are you going? Sat 19th will be a great day if you're around then :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Yes it's free! What dates are you going? Sat 19th will be a great day if you're around then :-)

sadly not :-(

flying trip, in on the 9th, out on the 14th - 5 days of express skiing, 5 days of express drinking - i assume u can organise a massive snow dump on the 8th followed by sunglasses weather....!

drkpower wrote: »
    sadly not :-(

flying trip, in on the 9th, out on the 14th - 5 days of express skiing, 5 days of express drinking - i assume u can organise a massive snow dump on the 8th followed by sunglasses weather....!

Absolutely! I do it all the time ;-)

Weather should be good around that time anyway, so bring your sunglasses :D

Serious amount of snow fell this week. We have a few friends coming out tomorrow they couldn't have picked a better week so far. Fanny what's happening on the 19th?

istaunton wrote: »
    Serious amount of snow fell this week. We have a few friends coming out tomorrow they couldn't have picked a better week so far. Fanny what's happening on the 19th?

19th of March istaunton! It's the roperace, charity day out in memory of a local instructor who died on the mountain. Great fun, and for a really good cause :-) xxx

fannymagee wrote:
    19th of March istaunton! It's the roperace, charity day out in memory of a local instructor who died on the mountain. Great fun, and for a really good cause :-) xxx

Ah that's the tied together race you mentioned in some other post before. I go home for 3 days and get back that day so I will probably miss it. Damn it.

istaunton wrote: »
    Ah that's the tied together race you mentioned in some other post before. I go home for 3 days and get back that day so I will probably miss it. Damn it.

If you're on the morning flight you'll make it! Otherwise you'll arrive just on time for the carnage 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

leaving yesterday and dumping down must go a week later next year!

Advertisement