Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski helmets

Options
  • 14-03-2015 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Could anyone recommend a good source for ski helmets? Ones that won't cost an absolute fortune as style is not important just comfort and I need to buy 4 of them. Just back from Les Gets where we wore helmets for the first time and will be wearing them for ever more. Prefer to have my own rather than renting again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

tkmaxx, sportspursuit

I see 53degreesnorth.ie had bolle helmets When I was in there last week. (Cork)
    I bought From here last year without any issues. They had a xl alpina grap which turned out prefect for my large noggin.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Snow & Rock? Great Outdoors?

I am currently wearing a Nutcase helmet (bike company) and its the comfiest lid I have ever had - good ratchet system at the back to confirm to your head and they give you a load of padding with different thickness to get the fit just right. - no clip at the back with my one for goggles, but I wear my goggles underneath the helmet anyways

Don't feel that you have to buy a snow specific helmet - other sport codes work just fine as well - assuming you buy a reputable brand that has CE approval etc

Check out cycling shops - and try on everything - fit is king

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Bought mine in aldi, fell rather badly -heelside edge, fell down hill onto ice head bounced off ice- it did the job (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

sheesh wrote: »
    Bought mine in aldi, fell rather badly -heelside edge, fell down hill onto ice head bounced off ice- it did the job (i think)

you sound confused there, you sure it worked?! joke

hell of a lot better than no helmet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Sportspursuit have good offers on helmets from time to time for good quality helmets. Might be wrong time of year for tkmaxx, Tog24 in kildare village have a good selection too at a good rate

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Could anyone recommend a good source for ski helmets? Ones that won't cost an absolute fortune as style is not important just comfort and I need to buy 4 of them. Just back from Les Gets where we wore helmets for the first time and will be wearing them for ever more. Prefer to have my own rather than renting again.

Cheap Helmets on Decathlon
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/Buy/ski+helmet

granty1987 wrote: »
    you sound confused there, you sure it worked?! joke

hell of a lot better than no helmet

just about! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Howdy,

Now's the time to buy helmets if in the market for one and other kit. Plenty of good deals on top quality products. Just bought myself 2. One for snow which is designed to take multiple hits, I fall a lot, and the other for cycling. Not planning multiple hits with that one.

There'll be good discounts on now for 2015 kit and probably very good deals on 2014 stock. Check blue tomato, ebay, snow and rock and others to get an idea of prices.

I picked up a new Burton board 51% off rrp. Couldn't help myself.

I have just agreed to buy 178 rossignol skis on ebay after reading this thread.

What Have I done???? they were 35 euro :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

A good helmet is very important to me. It is the one piece of equipment that I will spend a lot on. I'd rather have a cheap ski jacket than a cheap helmet.
    Essentially if you have a cheap head, buy a cheap helmet.

€35!!! Well they are good value anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Shipping probably cost more than the skis, did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

I have used a helmet for the past 5 years, rented ones, but have borrowed a friends a couple of times(as a teacher he has to ski during the mid-term - i wont), and packed it in my bag in the hold on the plane.
    As ski equipment goes, helmets are relatively cheap, wont cost extra in luggage, and it does affect you skiing if you get a good one which fits, doesn't impede your hearing too much. And if you get your own you wont be giving one off a heater in a ski shop which has been used 100s of times.
    It may be something you consider buying in a resort, last years stock cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Could not agree more with Maddness, is a helmet really something you want to skimp on?
    Love your brain.

I ride with a Giro, I got it fitted in a pro shop. fits my goggles perfectly (no gorby gap), it's light & comfortable.

I've added SkullCandy audio drop in's, I know some people prefer to ride with no distractions. But put me in knee deep powder, in trees with Slayer or the Prodigy in my ears and I'm a very, very happy bunny.

For travelling, I just attach it to my back pack, have done so for years and never been questioned once. I don't want it damaged by baggage handlers. But that's just me being pedantic :p

I've just bought a new POC ski helmet which was delivered today as my old helmet was 10 years old and I want better safety.
    The POC helmet doesn't look great on but if I was worried about how I look I wouldn't be wearing a helmet in the first place.

Advertisement