Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bargain watch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Seifer wrote: »
    It doesn't explicitly say it on blue tomato but it does say it's "new" so I'm guessing it is this years.

On epictv it has both models (which look identical) but the 2015 is half the price.

If you want it, need it, get it. I don't see any new features anyway. I think everything I've ever bought is previous season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Any decent brands for clothing for snowboarding?
    Looking to spend around ~250 Eur on Jacket.
    100-150 on Pants.
    100 on Goggles and Gloves.

arleitiss wrote: »
    100-150 on Pants.

You'll get any good brand for those prices. Go to snow and rock for a look and determin size. I have 3 animal and 1 Dakine jacket, quicksilver pants. You'll get a good jacket for 150 to 200. You can get them for less from ebay if you know what you are looking for. Pants will be between 100 and 150.

Goggles will cost more than 100. Gloves can cost a bit. I use dakine gloves and oakley goggles.

Burton boards. 3 up in the wall. One still in plastic awaiting the first trip.

You'll get any good brand for those prices. Go to snow and rock for a look and determin size. I have 3 animal and 1 Dakine jacket, quicksilver pants. You'll get a good jacket for 150 to 200. You can get them for less from ebay if you know what you are looking for. Pants will be between 100 and 150.

Goggles will cost more than 100. Gloves can cost a bit. I use dakine gloves and oakley goggles.

Burton boards. 3 up in the wall. One still in plastic awaiting the first trip.

I would prefer to buy online as there is wider choice, I am just unsure of brands.
    Many websites seem to push Picture Ski Wear but there is barely any info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

100-150 on Pants.

Since you are starting off , i wouldn't go spending that much. See if you like it and then upgrade on the gear bit by bit . If i were you i'd drop the budget and spend some of the money on padded shorts, and wrist bands, thermals etc.
    Aldi are doing thermals soon.

For jackets and pants, look for 15,000mm water proof or more rating will do ya, 20,000 is very good. Go Gore tex and you'll be sorted for a long time, gore tex usually means spending €250 at regular retail price.

Jackets come in 3l and 2l , 3l means its got and extra layer for warm but can be too warm for sunny conditions. Best to go 2L and add the layers underneath when needed. Check for the frills , like a keyhook in the pocket and a lift pass pocket on the sleeve so don't have to fidget around when passing the scanner. Some jackets are more suited for skiing as they have a more streamlined and tapered fit and if you are imagine conscious you might not like them.

Same goes with pants , some are just waterproof shells so you need layers underneath. Some are like dungarees others are just pants, if you go for pants be sure the jacket has a powder skirt underneath, its not a proper snowboard jacket if it isn't.

For googles look at Anon, Oakley , Smith,Dragon Summit etc. , Bolle are all good. €100 for googles and gloves is about right though. Possibly a bit more for the googles, make sure its a good all round lens , S1 rating is for bad weather S3 is for sunny conditions , so S2 is the all rounder.

Insted of gloves consider mits if you a snowboarding because they are quick and easy to take off.

As for reputable brands the list is endless , get you self into tk maxx and find youself and bargain and work from there but a close on the labelling for what ratings they are.

Down the line boots really will be your first major gear purchase as proper fitting boot is more important than any of the clothes you have, not nessecary in your first trip but keep that in mind.

There is a sticky thread on a lot of this in winter page so have a read through.

If you are buying online and you are going at the end of december you better get moving on it though to be sure its delivered on time.

• Advertisement

lbj666 wrote: »
    Since you are starting off , i wouldn't go spending that much. See if you like it and then upgrade on the gear bit by bit . If i were you i'd drop the budget and spend some of the money on padded shorts, and wrist bands, thermals etc.
    Aldi are doing thermals soon.

For jackets and pants, look for 15,000mm water proof or more rating will do ya, 20,000 is very good. Go Gore tex and you'll be sorted for a long time, gore tex usually means spending €250 at regular retail price.

Jackets come in 3l and 2l , 3l means its got and extra layer for warm but can be too warm for sunny conditions. Best to go 2L and add the layers underneath when needed. Check for the frills , like a keyhook in the pocket and a lift pass pocket on the sleeve so don't have to fidget around when passing the scanner. Some jackets are more suited for skiing as they have a more streamlined and tapered fit and if you are imagine conscious you might not like them.

Same goes with pants , some are just waterproof shells so you need layers underneath. Some are like dungarees others are just pants, if you go for pants be sure the jacket has a powder skirt underneath, its not a proper snowboard jacket if it isn't.

For googles look at Anon, Oakley , Smith,Dragon Summit etc. , Bolle are all good. €100 for googles and gloves is about right though. Possibly a bit more for the googles, make sure its a good all round lens , S1 rating is for bad weather S3 is for sunny conditions , so S2 is the all rounder.

Insted of gloves consider mits if you a snowboarding because they are quick and easy to take off.

As for reputable brands the list is endless , get you self into tk maxx and find youself and bargain and work from there but a close on the labelling for what ratings they are.

Down the line boots really will be your first major gear purchase as proper fitting boot is more important than any of the clothes you have, not nessecary in your first trip but keep that in mind.

There is a sticky thread on a lot of this in winter page so have a read through.

If you are buying online and you are going at the end of december you better get moving on it though to be sure its delivered on time.

I want gloves as I have gopro I would like to bring with me, and it seems mittens will limit button pressing a lot.

I want gloves as I have gopro I would like to bring with me, and it seems mittens will limit button pressing a lot.

You'll find gloves just as tricky switching it on, you can whip the mitts off very quickly to switch it on.

No need to take gloves off to use a GoPro. GoPro is one button power on and one button start/stop recording.

Mittens are great but only if you are good at putting bindings on. I can do it in a few seconds but still use gloves. Personal preference.

Oh if buying online definitely get to a shop to identify sizes. I buy nearly everything online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

100-150 on Pants.

TK maxx for a jacket Bonfire is cheap and of good quality bought one last year there and it is still my daily jacket its going snowboarding with me again this year also the pocket is big enough to carry a large bottle of jagermeister.

surfanic is another good brand in TKmaxx at the moment and has nice features like gaitors on the sleeves and a place for your ipod

Pants if you can get to kildare village and the northface shop there you will get a good pair of pants or TK Maxx again.

gloves and goggles are something I would spend money but also remember to bring a pair of sunglasses for the nicer days. you can get mitts that have one finger separated out

If it is your first time you will be falling on your ass alot crash pants can help but not as much as you think, they will they are handy for insulating you ass when sitting on the snow.
    wrist guards and helmet bought my helmet in aldi last year worked fine.
    Helmet needs to be tried on to ensure it is not too tight or too loose. you can rent them too.

try and get a wrist guard that is low profile as it make it easier to you gloves on and off.

I got wrist guards, crash pants and knee pads online cheap enough.

Don't forget a neck gaitor!
    I was not that good at snow boarding but it was still brilliant. it is like a hover board!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I agree with the previous posters about buying relatively cheap gear as you may not like snowboarding.
    TK Max is brilliant for jackets and ski trousers, plenty of good choice and value.
    I would buy good gloves as cold hands can ruin your day.
    I would also spend as much as you can on a good helmet though, you will probably fall a lot on your first week and it your most important bit of safety kit.
    Have a great time..

Well the reason I think I will like snowboarding is because I went snowboarding as a kid 10 years ago, and it was amazing and ever since then I wanted to go snowboarding, now that I work full time - I can afford it so I am 99% sure I will enjoy it again :D

Also I work near blanchardstown passing shopping centre on my way back, I might drop into it today, it has a shop called 53DegreesNorth and TKMaxx as well I think, will have a look.

Well the reason I think I will like snowboarding is because I went snowboarding as a kid 10 years ago, and it was amazing and ever since then I wanted to go snowboarding, now that I work full time - I can afford it so I am 99% sure I will enjoy it again :D

Also I work near blanchardstown passing shopping centre on my way back, I might drop into it today, it has a shop called 53DegreesNorth and TKMaxx as well I think, will have a look.

You'll love it and will be hooked like the rest of us.

If there isn't time think about borrowing stuff. i.e jacket, pants and gloves if possible. Buy the impact shorts and thermals. Rent a helmet or try them on in a shop to determin size. There's so many available it can take forever to decide which one you want. I've bought 4, sold 2 and have a new one for this year that has padding designed to take repeated hits whereas most should be thrown away after a big impact. When I fall I fall hard. Rent boots and don't be afraid to change them until you get a good fit. This will be the most important purchase when ready. Jacket and pants will really be down to the style you like and what features you want. Have a look at blue-tomato.com for ideas.

Been looking around, wow gore tex stuff is expensive, way out of budget.

So far I only found 2 of what I like:
    http://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Volcom-Half+Square+Jacket-302097295-cyan/
    http://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Picture-Year+Jacket-302110389-black+green/

Been looking around, wow gore tex stuff is expensive, way out of budget.

So far I only found 2 of what I like:
    http://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Volcom-Half+Square+Jacket-302097295-cyan/
    http://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Picture-Year+Jacket-302110389-black+green/

Search for a 2014 or 2015 catalogue for the same brand and then search on ebay.

Two of my jackets are from past years. Spent forever looking for them. Found them new for about 50% off the original retail. This is my current favourite but I alternate with a red Animal Chilam.

Really like the lift pass in the cuff for some reason as opposed to the zip pocket on the sleeve. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ANIMAL-THREADS-SNOWJACKET-Grey-Herringbone-Snowboarding-not-DC-BILLABONG-BURTON-/281863824856

Of course, you don't have to buy gortex. It's not like you'll be out snowboarding in the rain. Or at least that's not what you want. My jackets are only for snow and are made of something called Coated Polyester Herringbone. I have a different jacket for here.

Search for a 2014 or 2015 catalogue for the same brand and then search on ebay.

Two of my jackets are from past years. Spent forever looking for them. Found them new for about 50% off the original retail. This is my current favourite but I alternate with a red Animal Chilam.

Really like the lift pass in the cuff for some reason as opposed to the zip pocket on the sleeve. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ANIMAL-THREADS-SNOWJACKET-Grey-Herringbone-Snowboarding-not-DC-BILLABONG-BURTON-/281863824856

Of course, you don't have to buy gortex. It's not like you'll be out snowboarding in the rain. Or at least that's not what you want. My jackets are only for snow and are made of something called Coated Polyester Herringbone. I have a different jacket for here.

I am obsessed with simplistic designs, literally 2 colors is all I want, usually it's: Black and Red, or Black and Green, or Black and Blue :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ilac Center TK Maxx have a good section of stuff ATM including north face gore-tex trousers for €199

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Forgot to say that TK Maxx in Blanch had Tecnica beginners ski boots and the one in the Ilac Center had Lange ones

Don't they give you boots with snowboard?

Don't they give you boots with snowboard?

Who, the rental shop? No it's seperate as some people have boots or a board. You should be able to see rental prices online.

• Advertisement

Who, the rental shop? No it's seperate as some people have boots or a board. You should be able to see rental prices online.

Oh crap, I thought when you rent snowboard, you get snowboard + helmet + boots as well.

Oh crap, I thought when you rent snowboard, you get snowboard + helmet + boots as well.

I suppose it could be said that there are deals to be had which might combine the three to give some savings. Where are you heading to?

You not going with UCPA ?i though they provide the gear ?

lbj666 wrote: »
    You not going with UCPA ?i though they provide the gear ?

I am, I just contacted them via facebook to double check that boots are provided.

Nearly had heart attack thinking snowboard boots must be purchased by yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I am obsessed with simplistic designs, literally 2 colors is all I want, usually it's: Black and Red, or Black and Green, or Black and Blue :D

Try going for unnatural, vibrant, colours - colours that don't really occur in nature. If you're lying on the edge of a cliff, injured, half covered in snow, you'll be that bit harder to spot by the guys in the helicopter if you're wearing black and green (depending on the shade of green). You'll also be more visible in poor light conditions, and less likely to have someone else slam into you when you're on the slopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

cormee wrote: »
    Try going for unnatural, vibrant, colours - colours that don't really occur in nature. If you're lying on the edge of a cliff, injured, half covered in snow, you'll be that bit harder to spot by the guys in the helicopter if you're wearing black and green (depending on the shade of green). You'll also be more visible in poor light conditions, and less likely to have someone else slam into you when you're on the slopes.

I'm gonna use this for my reason in having red jacket/yellow pants and orange boots :D

stevire wrote: »
    I'm gonna use this for my reason in having red jacket/yellow pants and orange boots :D

That's what I have, apart from orange boots, so no you can't.

Irish seem to start out with black clothes but once you're into it you go nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

stevire wrote: »

Even if they don't manage to find you on time, you'll be the talk of the slopes
    That's what I have, apart from orange boots, so no you can't.

Irish seem to start out with black clothes but once you're into it you go nuts.

Yeah, I went for natural colours for years, now I wear the brighter colours. I have a bright red jacket for winter, and a neon green one for spring. The green one can probably be seen from the ISS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I picked up the Aldi merino wool thermal top and long johns (€19.99 each) yesterday.

I haven't had any merino wool clothes before so I can't really comment on how they compare to other products. They were very comfortable when I tried them on and seem decent enough. Passo Tonale in mid-January will be the test though! :D

• Advertisement

I picked up the Aldi merino wool thermal top and long johns (€19.99 each) yesterday.

I haven't had any merino wool clothes before so I can't really comment on how they compare to other products. They were very comfortable when I tried them on and seem decent enough. Passo Tonale in mid-January will be the test though! :D

Just the one pair? :eek: Must drop in myself for a look.

Advertisement