Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Woo hoo!
    I finally offed the two roof gargoyles!
    It took a bit of point farming last night to get the stats up but, Feck it, it all worked out!
    Boy does this game make you work hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

Had another crack at D64, I left it a while back as I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. It is a complete mess, but their hearts were in the right place... they just wanted to give us everything... all at once.

I think D64 is Nintendos Sonic Adventure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A mess is putting it kindly. Rare just didn't understand the simplicity that made Mario 64 so good and spent their time trying to out do it with the mantra of more is better, which was wrong. It's telling that from the great Banjo Kazooie onwards the games got progressively worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A mess is putting it kindly. Rare just didn't understand the simplicity that made Mario 64 so good and spent their time trying to out do it with the mantra of more is better, which was wrong. It's telling that from the great Banjo Kazooie onwards the games got progressively worse.

A similar story with the Sonics of today. While Sonic Generations does have some nice touches, again its missing the point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Probably true to say that the only truly great Sonic games, post Megadrive, are on the GBA and one on the Neo Geo Pocket Color.
    As the polygon count went up the recognition of the core elements that make us love the series seemed to abandon Sonic Team completely.

I think the rot set in with Sonic Adventure, frakkin Big the Cat!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I've been meaning to try out sonic on the NGPC. Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,234 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Definitely give it a go! One of the best games on the system. Looks and plays lovely :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Probably true to say that the only truly great Sonic games, post Megadrive, are on the GBA and one on the Neo Geo Pocket Color.
    As the polygon count went up the recognition of the core elements that make us love the series seemed to abandon Sonic Team completely.

Actually never really liked the GBA games. They are ok but the amount of unavoidable unless you are psychic pitfalls is just ridiculous. Really awful level design later in the games when they get tougher.

Sonic team actually pretty much dissolved after Nights on the Saturn. Yuji Naka then took over. Yuji Naka is what went wrong with the Sonic series. He is often credited with creating Sonic but it's not true. Credit where credit is due Yuji Naka was a genius programmer, however he had nothing to do with the game design or production side until Sonic Adventure, he isn't cut out for it.

It's decent enough, definitely not up with the megadrive sonics but not bad either. It's made my the same guys that did the GBA games but at least their ****ty level design doesn't pollute the game until later. Getting all the chaos emeralds is a whore though, particularly the final one.

It is a surprisingly nice Sonic game, not quite the game the GBA titles are, but then you have to realise this came out when the GBC was king!
    Well worth picking up, it's as common as Jordan too so no probs picking it up cheap.

I done that hybrid bios Dreamcast thingy. Its a mixture of dev bios & retail bios, giving true region free without the need for flashing/resetting etc

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75731602#post75731602

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

EnterNow wrote: »
    I done that hybrid bios Dreamcast thingy. Its a mixture of dev bios & retail bios, giving true region free without the need for flashing/resetting etc

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75731602#post75731602

That looks cool! Where can one procure said BIOS chip?

That looks cool! Where can one procure said BIOS chip?

I got mine off Docentore, he has a few left apparently. Otherwise they can be bought here - http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33570 (link from mmmonkeys site)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Right this isnt retro related but it is awesome related! Everyone enjoy this hero, and I'm not being sarcastic, I love gale, want to be his friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭Doge

Right this isnt retro related but it is awesome related! Everyone enjoy this hero, and I'm not being sarcastic, I love gale, want to be his friend!

Haha, I was only watching that last night! Pity there aint more Gale like characters in Ireland! If they are, they're prob better off hiding!

Anyone ever play the flash game CANABALT?

http://www.canabalt.com/

A fan made re-creation for the Commodore 64 is about to be released soon,
    and it looks awesome:

After this video was posted on CSDb, the guy who made the c64 re-creation of Prince Of Persia was gutted,
    as he too was working on a c64 version of Canabalt,
    and is going to be releasing his own version soon too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,000 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watched Alien for the first time in a few years tonight (oh hai DinoRex!). With a relatively fresh perspective, I think the makers of Half-Life and Dead Space owe some serious royalties to 20th Century Fox :pac:

I think there's a thesis in there on how homage becomes mimicry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I want to make a list of cinemas greatest asshole cats, Jones is definitely going to feature highly.

I love how instead of giving the crew an alien tracker Ash gives them a cat exaggerator.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,000 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not as bad as that cat that came back the very next day.

Edited in hindsight to reflect potential nicheness of reference.

To say Dead Space owes a little to movies and other games like Resi 4 is like saying Ireland owes a little to the IMF.

tumblr_lve1m0dlwi1qgik10o1_500.jpg

Sonic Be@rbrick, combining two of my great nerdy enthusiasms!

bs23ld_01_dadajk9.jpg

I must admit more of a fondness towards the Rilakumma one though... And the Velvet Underground one is just perfect.

There should be an alternative / secret Sonic one too. Tails would be awesome sauce, yo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I must admit more of a fondness towards the Rilakumma one though... And the Velvet Underground one is just perfect.
    I'd love the Rilakkuma and Korilakkuma ones <3Gloomy Bear looks cool too.
    The Sonic one is a bit creepy.

My personal favourite is still Lotso be@rbrick:

Berbrick-Series-20-Lots-O-Huggin-007_1274707688.jpg

It took me around six blind boxes to find it (and some always crushing duplicates) but by jove it was worth every yen.

Someone knocked my Eva Kubrick behind my drawer the other day and I still can't find it :( Unreasonably upsetting.

But does it smell of Strawberries like my Lotso?

Unfortunately not, but I still give it pride of place next to 'Laura Palmer's corpse' Be@r.

Oh... how come I didn't see you at the Twin Peaks night? That was sensational... so many wonderful doughnuts!

Alien is such a wonderful, timeless movie.
    I would venture that much of its DNA is traditional "Monster in the woods, outside the cabin " kinda stuff but its implementation is so original, and along with its sequel, it set the agenda in movies, TV and games ever since.

I have just read the storyline of the prequel "Prometheus " and, aside from spoiling the whole movie for myself, this could be the film to see next year, Avengers be damned!

Turns out synopsis was a fan fic, disappointed in AICN tbh. Still can't wait to see Prometheus never the less.

PS3 update today adds an epilepsy warning screen every time you boot up just in case you enjoy skipping past all those developer logos on games.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PS3 update today adds an epilepsy warning screen every time you boot up just in case you enjoy skipping past all those developer logos on games.

Oh yay >.>

Although nintendo have been doing this for a long time.

So, whose buying Mario Kart 7 tomorrow? Its been getting some great reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,234 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm getting a bit sick of paying insane prices for 3DS games to be honest. Went into HMV yesterday evening to pick up Marioland 3D and almost vomited all over the display when I saw it was €45. (Thought HMV would at least have a discounted price)

€90 for that and Mario Kart 7? I want them, but I could get far more interesting things for that money!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement