Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skylake gaming build.

• 15-10-2015 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey folks,

My current rig is getting quite old, coming up to 6 years now so I'm looking to invest in some of the current tech, namely the new Intel Skylake stuff, so would appreciate any help you can give.

1. What is your budget? €1000 or so, willing to go above if it is worth it.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming - Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront, Star Citizen, MGS V etc.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes, I recently upgraded GPU, can use current PSU (750w) and SSD with OS. My current case is Cooler Master CM Storm Sniper Black (iirc), any comments on whether that is still good?

5. Do you need a monitor? Not at the current time.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920 x 1080 atm, will upgrade to 2560 x 1440 once build is settled.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? N/A

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes, have done so extensively on current rig.

8. How can you pay? Any.

9. When are you purchasing? Next two weeks or so.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No help needed.

In the past I have mostly used Overclockers and Hardwareversand for components, but I'm reading the general consensus is now to avoid Hardwareversand after the liquidation hiccup, is this true?
    Ofc any help in regard to what site to order from now is greatly appreciated.

After a quick search, I came across this bundle on Overclockers -

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-044-AS&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=2858

1 x Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut High Performance Thermal Paste - 1 Gramm
    1 x Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail
    1 x Asus Maximus VIII Hero Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
    1 x Panram Ninja-V 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (PUD43000C158G2NJK)
    1 x Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 NVMe Solid State Drive (MZVPV256HDGL-00000)
    1 x Overclockers UK & SilverStone - 120mm FQ121WC Watercooling Radiator Fan
    1 x Overclockers UK & SilverStone - 120mm FQ121WC Watercooling Radiator Fan
    1 x Asetek Premium Retention Kit Intel LGA115X (35-150-0000014)
    1 x Asetek 240mm 570LXL (35-102-0000013) **PICK ONE LONG SCREW BAG PER COOLER**

The setup 'seems' ideal but maybe you folks can tell me otherwise.

I like the inclusion of the PCIE SSD, seperate non-bootable drive to house games seems handy if the reported load times on those SSDs are to be believed.

If those parts are recommended, is there anywhere I could order them to bring the price down slightly?

Thanks in advance, any comments/suggestions etc are greatly appreciated.

Comments

Advertisement