Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laptop fan has two speeds: Off and 4000000 RPM.

Options
  • 25-11-2014 11:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭

Any idea what could be causing this?

Opening a web page will put the fan into overdrive for a few seconds, then it turns off.

There is no medium speed or slow speed, just 0% or full blast.

I replaced the fan by the way... and reinstalled the OS.

What else could be causing it?

(Dell D531 - old laptop I know)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

nomeban wrote: »
    Any idea what could be causing this?

Opening a web page will put the fan into overdrive for a few seconds, then it turns off.

There is no medium speed or slow speed, just 0% or full blast.

I replaced the fan by the way... and reinstalled the OS.

What else could be causing it?

(Dell D531 - old laptop I know)

Thanks

Old laptop indeed!

I would say this issue is less likely a fan issue, and more a CPU temperature issue. If you really wanted to fix it, I would consider adding thermal paste to the CPU. I think those laptops are handy enough to get around.

That being said, I wouldn't be certain that would fix your issue, I'd say the laptop is picking up on temperature rises and falls within the CPU, which in turn causes the fan to go into turbo mode. So it could be a sensor issue also, which is not really fixable.

Advertisement