Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boston Marathon - new registration procedures

• 16-02-2011 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

New registration procedures were announced today for qualification for the Boston Marathon starting in 2012.

From now on instead of first come first served (if you've qualified) the fastest qualifiers get to apply first.

20mins faster than qualifying time get first dibs, then 10mins a couple of days later, then 5mins 2 days after that.
    Three days after that its open to all qualifiers.

Starting in 2013, qualifying times have been lowered across the board by 5mins.

If you don't believe me, you can read all about it here :)

http://www.boston.com/sports/marathon/blog/2011/02/baa_announces_new_procedures_f.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Thanks for the info. The baa site seems unavailable but it is being reported in the Boston Globe among others so after all the rumors this is the real deal.
    Happy enough with this - there were many worse proposals out there. Don't know how much this will do to fix the overall problem but at least it preserves Boston as a standard.

On a personal note I wonder if my current five minute cushion will enough to see me in or will it be filled by the time the 10 minute (or even 20 minute+) guys are in. All of a sudden I feel a bit of pressure on Barcelona !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was just going to go check for that. Interesting that they've changed the qualification times aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

That may well rule a lot of us on here out of future qualification attempts. Myself included :(

....Interesting that they've changed the qualification times aswell.

Only from 2013 onwards, I think. Current times remain for 2012 ... The change in qualifying times was expected. People (including me) were holding their breath to see if it was 5 or 10 minutes tightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

Crap. It looks like even in 2012, if you're not 5 minutes better than the current qualifying time, it's very unlikely you'll get in. Maybe even 10 minutes better won't be good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Interesting!

On the plus side, in 2013, I'll be in the 35-40 age group, so I'll still be at the 3:10 standard (even if I have to break it by 10 minutes to have any chance of getting a place).

Looks like I may have run Boston for my one and only time!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I like it. Gives you something aggressive to aim for. I'm not saying the old times were soft, just that there's a vested interest now in pushing for a faster time, rather than just meeting the qualifying standard (Plus I have a 22 minute gap at the moment, and 27 minutes by the end of the year. :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

That may well rule a lot of us on here out of future qualification attempts. Myself included :(
    Not planning (at this stage) at doing it....however I make it in with nearly 20 mins to spare! The joys of M55! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I like the new guidelines. Easy to say for me, of course, having already run it and no real plans for a repeat any time soon.

Anyone struggling to qualify, it still gets easier as you get older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Looks like i'll need a 5 year plan now :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Jesus but those are tough qualifying times.
    I think that if I ever get to run this race it will be via a tour company entry unless I can get the 3:25 time by the time I hit 45.
    I can't seem myself breaking 3:15 in the next 3 years.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

shels4ever wrote: »
    Looks like i'll need a 5 year plan now :(

Me too, 3:35 is a hell of a long way off.

Guys and Girls, stop moaning. It's meant to be hard. That's the appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

:) yep its one of the marathon I want to run, mainly because I cant at the moment. If it was open to everyone I dont think i'd want to :). Always though I was capable of that time if i got the propper training done.

:) yep its one of the marathon I want to run, mainly because I cant at the moment. If it was open to everyone I dont think i'd want to :). Always though I was capable of that time if i got the propper training done.

5 years ago, after breaking 3:30 for the first time, I remember thinking "I'd need to keep that pace going until I'm 55 to qualify for Boston", and it looked as remote as a trip to the moon back then.

It only took one single year to get my times down and qualify! It sure wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and I'm of the opinion that almost anyone would be able to qualify if they trained hard enough.

Plus, it gets easier as you get older.

If it was open to everyone I dont think i'd want to :).

+1. It's why I wanted to do it, and if you can make it in, then it's a great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Peckham

I was very relieved when they announced the new structure yesterday, as I had feared my qualifying time set in Berlin last year would become ineligible due to a change in the qualifying window. Fortunately not, and the new structure suits me very well as my time is over 10 minutes faster than the qualifying time, which should pretty much guarantee me a place if I apply on time.

System seems fair overall.

Peckham wrote: »

:D:D:D:D:D
    So speaks the man who just realised he has qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Peckham wrote: »
    . Fortunately not, and the new structure suits me very well as my time is over 10 minutes faster than the qualifying time, which should pretty much guarantee me a place if I apply on time.

How long does the qualifying window last though? I presume I'll need to re-qualify this year for 2012 application?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

just realised that as bad as I ran in DCM last year, I'll still make it in cause I'm old :D

Only just though and there is the risk of it selling out before they get down to the folks who just squeezed in, I hope to rectify that by getting my 20 bonus minutes in Rotterdam ;)

• Advertisement

How long does the qualifying window last though? I presume I'll need to re-qualify this year for 2012 application?

Window remains the same - but the registration opens earlier ( Sept ). So it is effectively a Sept-Sept window for the race the following April. There is some grumbling that many autumn marathons will not be useful for the following spring. So e.g DCM 2010 times would be useful for registration in Sept 2011 for the race in April 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

****e registration closes before berlin marathon this year and last yrs marathon won't count for me. Looks like I might have to pace the Limerick marathon instead of half to get in. I'll look later but do they give a list of accepted courses. Hopefully they'll accept Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Peckham

Your 2010 Berlin time will be accepted for Boston 2012.

According to the Boston Marathon website:
    For the 2012 Boston Marathon, qualifying times must be run on or after September 25, 2010.

(Berlin was September 26th!)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

I'm be running it this year. Only 8 weeks to go and really looking forward to it.

Still trying to figure out the optimum pacing strategy taking into account the first 16 miles are downhill before the fun really starts with the 4 hills from Newton onwards.

Determined to enjoy it even when it hurts...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

RAL3 wrote: »
    I'm be running it this year. Only 8 weeks to go and really looking forward to it.

Still trying to figure out the optimum pacing strategy taking into account the first 16 miles are downhill before the fun really starts with the 4 hills from Newton onwards.

The hills in Boston aren't that bad at all. If you can be disciplined for the first 10 miles you'll be fine. First 5-6 are very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Hopefully they'll accept Limerick.

The Limerick organizers told me last year it would be AIMS accredited- it wasn't. Given how lackadaisical they were about calling their 9.6k a 10k, I really doubt their marathon will be a BQ event this year...

Run the first half slower than you think you should. And don't start speeding up at the scream tunnel to impress the girls there.

The hills in Boston aren't that bad at all. If you can be disciplined for the first 10 miles you'll be fine. First 5-6 are very fast.

That "if" is the big problem for many, many runners, though.
    even when it hurts...........

Don't worry, it will. :cool:

The crowds there are just unreal. Every runner there gets the full rock start treatment from between 500000 and 1 million supporters on the road side. I found the course itself rather brutal, though. The hills by themselves would not be so bad if you had not shredded your quads by running the first 15 miles too hard ...

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Run the first half slower than you think you should. And don't start speeding up at the scream tunnel to impress the girls there.

That "if" is the big problem for many, many runners, though.

Don't worry, it will. :cool:

The crowds there are just unreal. Every runner there gets the full rock start treatment from between 500000 and 1 million supporters on the road side. I found the course itself rather brutal, though. The hills by themselves would not be so bad if you had not shredded your quads by running the first 15 miles too hard ...

Thanks TFB, appreciate the advice.

I have read your race report a few times over the past few months - great time considering how you were feeling during the race and the rush of blood at Wellesley(how could you prevent that!).

Picked up some very useful info there.

Thanks again

RAL3

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

I'll tell you what not to do:
    Dont set new pbs at 10miles and 1/2 way. Believe me; that hurts anywhere but particularly in Boston.

As said above, hills are not that bad.

• Advertisement

When I ran it, I was surprised by the undulating first half of the course. It is a net downhill, but there are plenty of small uphill drags as well just to help the leg-shredding.

Enjoy the scream tunnel. It's by far the best part of the course!

Advertisement