Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

More Irish people working in your local Spar / Centra?

• 28-11-2008 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

It it just me or has anyone noticed more Irish people seem to working in Centra, Spar etc. (compared to six months ago)

Have you noticed this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I've noticed yea. I rang Four Star pizza for a delivery and a very well spoken Irish fella was taking the orders. It was great to be able to communicate and understand each other.

Had a very nice Indian dude deliver to me before, but he got so lost and when he rang me I hadn't a clue what he was saying and was waiting so long for it that I rang the branch up. Manager was Indian too... :D

I can remember about 7 or 8 years ago being in Dun Laoghaire and saying to my friend "How come there are no Irish people in Burger King anymore???? :confused:" How the times change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Yeap. I got served by a leprechaun today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Fúcking Irish taking all the jobs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    I can remember about 7 or 8 years ago being in Dun Laoghaire and saying to my friend "How come there are no Irish people in Burger King anymore???? :confused:".

There still aren't... at least the last time i checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Yep, i have noticed that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

jetsonx wrote: »
    Have you noticed this?
    Nah, it's just the Poles getting better at doing the accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

jetsonx wrote: »
    It it just me or has anyone noticed more Irish people seem to working in Centra, Spar etc. (compared to six months ago)

Have you noticed this?

I'll be straight about this, NO.

I detest using my local Spar/Centra shops and god be with the days when these shops were staffed by local women who knew all the gossip and were the craic whenever you called in.

Community spirit suffered very bad with the tiger economy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I have to yet to see it. My local Spar has a fine array of eastern European ladies and the odd ginge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

There may be more Irish but they still can't make a bloody roll properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Probably because people dont think their to good for the jobs now that times are getting tight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Probably because people dont think their to good for the jobs now that times are getting tight
    Yep.

There a new hot Irish chick in my local supermarket.

She's really pleasant and cheery.
    I'm just waiting to see how long it takes for her to crack up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mairt wrote: »

I detest using my local Spar/Centra shops and god be with the days when these shops were staffed by local women who knew all the gossip and were the craic whenever you called in.

You should visit the Fresh in Northern Cross, the butcher in there is exacty like this, except he's not a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I hate the way that when you're talking to them, they're always trying to show that are better than you, even though, they can't even speak english. At school, they just start hitting you when they start getting stuck for words.

Or when they start speaking their own language between two or three of them in front of a whole room of irish people. Christ, when they do that, i'd love to issue a deportation order against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was talking to a deli manager today and I said "how are things today?" I did not really mean it, I was just being polite so I got her life story instead.

She said she is sick of Irish people complaining they have taken their jobs even though they(foreigners) are the only ones who will do those menial manual jobs for low money. Above all she was told they needed to be more polite to customers and smile more.

She is correct. The people in Ireland who are "qualified" for those jobs are the ones "not qualified" for other jobs so instead of doing lowly paid jobs that they believe are only suited to foreigners they mostly mooch about on welfare.

The girl in the chinese tonight was south african and the chinese guys were chinese, the girl moaning in the deli today was south african and the two girls serving were irish and the three on prep were "something else".

If you are willing to do those jobs for that money then Irish people could have those jobs first choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, because you've never spoken english to a friend of yours when you were in foreign countries. Every conversation you ever had was carried out in the native language of your holiday destination.

you = rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I hate the way that when you're talking to them, they're always trying to show that are better than you, even though, they can't even speak english. At school, they just start hitting you when they start getting stuck for words.

Or when they start speaking their own language between two or three of them in front of a whole room of irish people. Christ, when they do that, i'd love to issue a deportation order against them.

Cheek of 'em... This is why we, true green blooded Irishmen, only converse in Irish. Yeaaah, look at us go.

You know the Nazi's had this problem so they picked the best race

The Aaron race and murdered the rest.

Now is a good time as any. Empty out that warehouse full of voting machines, load in the foreigners and all holiday makers from the US, the corporation housing people, the homeless and the prisoners and gas them all then set fire to them then throw acid all over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't have a local Centra anymore - it was taken over by a Ladbrokes. :(

Damn bookies, taking all our... shops. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Now is a good time as any. Empty out that warehouse full of voting machines, load in the foreigners and all holiday makers from the US, the corporation housing people, the homeless and the prisoners and gas them all then set fire to them then throw acid all over them.

Dont forget the Romas, travellers, gays and the blacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Dudess wrote: »

I bet that's tough.

*Indulgent chuckle*

• Advertisement

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Dont forget the Romas, travellers, gays and the blacks.

Also:

Feminists who are invariably lesbian anyway.
    Chuggers
    Women with SUV's full of ugly children
    Anybody who tucks their tracksuit bottoms into their socks
    Anybody who put their hood up but only a 1/4 the way up the back of their heads.

STOP STOP. Off on tangent....................Again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Dudess wrote: »

When they realised that 99% of their sales were scratchcards anyway, turning the place into a bookies seemed like a logical step.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

dey took derrr jubs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I'm having a hard time picturing big bad Mairt as the type to be gossiping about who was seen sneaking out of number 37 at six in the morning or whose daughter was seen buying a ClearBlue in the chemist. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You mean the tiger economy killed off the local run newsagents and all these rip off Spar and Centra shops popped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

WTF????? :eek:

RasTa wrote: »
    You mean the tiger economy killed off the local run newsagents and all these rip off Spar and Centra shops popped up.

In fact they are still locally run newsagents, run by the franchisee.

When you own an independent store you keep getting visited by business developers from Musgraves, BWG, Barrys of Mallow etc etc trying to get you to sign up to their central warehouse.

They will provide all the point of sale, shelving and branding to your store. You have to pay for equipment and labour and a % of your earnings to avail of the national coverage and advertising.

You get the training, management, backup of a massive wholesaler with years of experience and "run"(loose term) the store by yourself.

My local shop is a Daybreak run by the Gullys but prior to be daybreak it was just Gullys. So its still Gullys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

I was talking to a deli manager today and I said "how are things today?" I did not really mean it, I was just being polite so I got her life story instead.

She said she is sick of Irish people complaining they have taken their jobs even though they(foreigners) are the only ones who will do those menial manual jobs for low money. Above all she was told they needed to be more polite to customers and smile more.

She is correct. The people in Ireland who are "qualified" for those jobs are the ones "not qualified" for other jobs so instead of doing lowly paid jobs that they believe are only suited to foreigners they mostly mooch about on welfare.

The girl in the chinese tonight was south african and the chinese guys were chinese, the girl moaning in the deli today was south african and the two girls serving were irish and the three on prep were "something else".

If you are willing to do those jobs for that money then Irish people could have those jobs first choice.

Hahahhahahaahah, No sh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

You know the Nazi's had this problem so they picked the best race

The Aaron race and murdered the rest.

Is this the worse violation of Godwins law on Boards.ie? Surely it is. Maybe the entire ****ing internet.

In response let me suggest that if labour ever gets into another coalition there will be the taking over of Poland, the genocide of the Kulaks, the arrest of journalists, entrepeneurs, and other enemies of the State, the elimination of private property and and the Orwellian take over of all civil society.

Aaronn race

snigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Madness, last time I was in Craggy Island the pub was full of Chinese :eek:

Advertisement