Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

desperly seeking advice

• 19-11-2014 4:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

bought a toshiba satellite i gb memory 5 mths ago in pc world ,,working great till a month ago started slowing down taken ages to upload anything ads popping up all the time rang sky to see what my download speed is it was 18 or so ,,,,its security is mcafee through sky ,,,,brought it back to pc world and the done a scan on it and said it has a trogan which seeminly is very common with windows 8 and it only got a 100 mb storage but we took of everything l
    ike music and pic and all games off it and its still the same ,,,,
    pc world will charge 65/70 euro to put it back to factory settings but it prob wont get rid of trogan :confused:
    went to different comp shop that advise factory setting and putting windows 7 on it should sort it out its seems window 8 are not much good and this is a commom prob what should i do ???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

To access the System Restore, Refresh and Reset options from Windows 8 and 8.1, perform the following:

1. While on the Start screen type “Advanced Startup

. Under “Settings” select “Advanced Startup Options”.
    3. Under the “General” menu item, scroll to the bottom.
    4. Under “Advanced Startup” click “Restart Now” button.
    5. The computer will display a Blue screen and bring you to the Advanced startup screen
    6. Select Troubleshoot. Under Troubleshoot you will see “Refresh” and “Reset”.
    reset to original not from back up

it will get rid of trojens

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

do you think that work so i dont need to get windows 7 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

sandra06 wrote: »
    do you think that work so i dont need to get windows 7 :confused:

Whoever suggested windows 7 is nuts. Windows 8 has several security upgrades over 7.

McAfee is a pretend software. It says it is a security software but actually doesn't do anything, most free products are much better, if you want total protection go for Norton Internet Security.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I guess its a low enough end laptop if the OP isnt tech savy, I wouldnt recommend norton on a low power system, or any really ^^

Remove McAfee and install this OP. Its from Microsoft and is consistently Decent to Very Good
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows/security-essentials-download

ED E wrote: »
    I guess its a low enough end laptop if the OP isnt tech savy, I wouldnt recommend norton on a low power system, or any really ^^

Remove McAfee and install this OP. Its from Microsoft and is consistently Decent to Very Good
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows/security-essentials-download

Norton has sorted its performance issues out since about 2012. Norton 360 is still terrible and antivirus offers little protection, their internet security product is great though.

Microsoft has advised that the software you listed can be used to compliment your security not to,act as security alone. It has scored 0/5 and 1/10 in tests by the most reputable security testing organisations. Avira is scoring very well and is free though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

As GarIT said, some of them antivirus softwares they include free are not great. I have run Mcafee and Norton before on computers and found them to be slow and awkard with updates etc especially for a lower performance laptop. There's a thread in Bargain Alerts for the paid version of AVG, subscription free for a few years too. AVG is a free Antivirus that people seem to use too.

Heres the Bargain Alerts link:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057300186

Norton really has changed, I'm running it on a 5 year old celeron and there are no problems with it at all.

AVG is acceptable, but Avira free has much higher test scores than AVG's paid software.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,591 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

sandra06 wrote: »
    bought a toshiba satellite i gb memory 5 mths ago in pc world?

Im sorry, how much memory???

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

Overheal wrote: »
    Im sorry, how much memory???
    hi its 1 terabyte

Advertisement