Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One-Parent Family Payment

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Its the single mothers,the blacks,they truk our jobs etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Fair play to your Studdlymurphy! If we had more people like you, willing to make an effort rather than just moaning about stuff then we'd be in alot better shape as a country. So yeah, fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

EGAR wrote: »
    No, it's the repetition. It gets a bit tedious for regular users of AH :D. But thanks for pointing out what you think is wrong from far away.
    But if you bring up old threads you get a slapped wrist so its a lose lose situation

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Oh no, not another one of those threads, there are at least a trillion on here already.....

And every last one of them are justified so quit yer yappin! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"(Someone else) should do something about it!" <- don't be this person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

ilovesleep wrote: »
    The irish are weak and spineless. We must be the only nation that allows the priests to rape children for decades and allow them to walk free from the damage they caused.

What's this 'we' shíte?

I was born in 1960 and I never heard of any of this stuff until it came out in the '90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i know 3 such cases, here is one of them.

me and my missus were on holidays a while back and we met this couple who travelled with us and stayed in the same hotel.

both were unemployed and were so for 3 years.
    they were unmarried and had a 4 year old child.
    as far as the government was concerned, there was no connection between the the mother and father.
    she got her rent allowance, fis, loan parent, childrens allowance, dole, you name it, she got it.
    he also had social welfare.
    their holiday cost 2,500 euro.
    they had another one costing 2,000 euro coming up.
    they both owned a car and had a spare one also.
    their rent was 1000 a month in a lovely 3 bed house outside dublin, all paid for.

they were contemplating spending over 3000euro on a luxury item that they didnt need.

we asked them did they plan on getting married and they said no and laughed. "why should we, we will lose everything".

no tell me, is this fair. in theory they are not doing a whole pile wrong apart from him living there, if he wasnt around, she would still get all the same benifits, which is just criminal.

the 1000s of empty apartments that are for sale around the city and country, that are perfect to live in, should be used for people in receipt of rent allowance instead. this would save up to 1billion a year and get these properties back into the mainstream rather than rotting away not being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

me and my missus were on holidays a while back and we met this couple who travelled with us and stayed in the same hotel.

as far as the government was concerned, there was no connection between the the mother and father.
    she got her rent allowance, fis, loan parent, childrens allowance, dole, you name it, she got it.
    their rent was 1000 a month in a lovely 3 bed house outside dublin, all paid for.

they were contemplating spending over 3000euro on a luxury item that they didnt need.

we asked them did they plan on getting married and they said no and laughed. "why should we, we will lose everything".

no tell me, is this fair. in theory they are not doing a whole pile wrong apart from him living there, if he wasnt around, she would still get all the same benifits, which is just criminal.

the 1000s of empty apartments that are for sale around the city and country, that are perfect to live in, should be used for people in receipt of rent allowance instead. this would save up to 1billion a year and get these properties back into the mainstream rather than rotting away not being used.

Eh, yes they are. They're committing fraud. :confused: His/her dole would also be minimised if they lived together officially but she would be down his welfare income if he wasn't around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

You'd think people should be worrying about their own lives without poking into other people's.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

You'd think people should be worrying about their own lives without poking into other people's.

Yeah, if you're talking about their sex life or what kind of bread they choose for dinner.

But when you're talking about a form of fraud that effects us all, especially when none of us have a penny and there are people being really severely effected by welfare cuts, you have every right to complain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I know a woman who has three children by five different fathers. They all live together in a gold mansion paid for by the government. When the walls of the mansion get dirty they don't bother cleaning it, they just claim a new one. They get the dole, disability benefit, disability allowance, the old age pension and whatever other social welfare payment I left out. In total they earn €1278768676887.98 an hour. They go driving around in a gold car and laugh and jeer at people who work. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

One thing you cannot get OPFA and FIS impossible you only get FIS if you work as a kind of top up if your low paid and report them as she IS NOT a lone patent
    Plus you cannot get Dole and OPFA
    And you cannot get Dole and FIS

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Social welfare fraud affects every tax payer's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Millicent wrote: »
    Eh, yes they are. They're committing fraud. :confused: His/her dole would also be minimised if they lived together officially but she would be down his welfare income if he wasn't around.

They also give the many, many good, hard working single parents trying to get on in life a bad name, contribute to the stigma.

As for Seanie Fitz or whoever, I don't think people are jailed for welfare fraud unless its pretty bad, like multiple identities.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 starlight baby

gcgirl before you advise people to rush off reporting others you may want to check your facts: you CAN get OPFA (or part payment of) and FIS. All above board and legal providing you meet the criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

No, it's the repetition. It gets a bit tedious for regular users of AH :D. But thanks for pointing out what you think is wrong from far away.

You could always do what i do when i'm not interested in a thread.... don't click into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    And every last one of them are justified so quit yer yappin! :)

I am entitled to my opinion, I am also entitled to voice it - whether you like it or not is beside the point. :D But thank you for pointing out how justified yet another whining thread about Lone Parents and so on is. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

lol.....so its ok for others to sit on their holes all day,claim 30k in benifits and dont contribute a single thing to the state, possibly frauding the state also, while the rest of us go out to work to pay for it?

right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I don't understand why this is not put in the hands of Detectives. This should be forensically investigated like the crime that it is and they should be jailed for a decent stretch if convicted.

These people are robbing thousands from the state? I don't understand why it is not dealt with by the Guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

ilovesleep wrote: »
    But what makes it acceptable to go after one group eg single mothers and not the other group ie those at the top of the pyramid property scheme. What makes it acceptable to allow one group to walk away free.

That is discrimination and it's hypocrital.

The irish are weak and spineless. We must be the only nation that allows the priests to rape children for decades and allow them to walk free from the damage they caused. Yet if one was to witness such abuse from a neighbour they would pick up the phone. It is as clear as daylight the irish or the majority are gutless and afraid of those in power.

If you read my post you would see that I wrote that anyone who is committing fraud should be reported, let it be single mothers or the likes of FitzPatrick. It's interesting that you bring up rape and the Catholic Church here, I think it's widely accepted that those that did not report the crimes had their part to play in the pain and suffering caused by these abusers, likewise it's our duty to ensure that anyone that is committing fraud is reported, and that goes right across the board.

Report everyone, allow no fraudsters to walk free and that includes the big boys, but we should not use the fact that the big boys haven't been put in jail yet as an excuse to turn a blind eye to others, the "everybody is doing it" attitude will get us nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I know 2 people who claim this payment and the fathers are not around. Yet I know 14 people who claim it and have the partner living with them.
    Does this ratio meet other peoples observations?
    Im not saying it should be done away with as some people do need it, but I think it should be policed a bit better.

If you know it for a fact then report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

lol.....so its ok for others to sit on their holes all day,claim 30k in benifits and dont contribute a single thing to the state, possibly frauding the state also, while the rest of us go out to work to pay for it?

right.

30k? Where did you get that amount from?

gcgirl before you advise people to rush off reporting others you may want to check your facts: you CAN get OPFA (or part payment of) and FIS. All above board and legal providing you meet the criteria.
    Thought FIS was a top up for a low paid full time worker
    If you work current threshold is currently €140 ish before they start to deduct that directly off your payment which you can earn up to roughly €420 I think and still get part payment, and by the way I am a genuine single parent and I'd advise anyone who knows someone who is defrauding because these people are giving me and other genuine claimants a bad name, I have the OPFA to live on each week that is it I have zero income from anywhere else and sick of the stigma attach to us genuine single mothers

Seriously look at the above statements in this thread that some people wrote and see how much venom there is, I have to deal with this attitude from people

right.

30k? Where did you get that amount from?
    30 k is excessive

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

gcgirl wrote: »
    FIS is a top up for a low paid worker
    If you work current threshold is currently €140 ish before they start to deduct that directly off your payment which you can earn up to roughly €420 I think and still get part payment, and by the way I am a genuine single parent and I'd advise anyone who knows someone who is defrauding because these people are giving me and other genuine claimants a bad name, I have the OPFA to live on each week that is it I have zero income from anywhere else and sick of the stigma attach to us genuine single mothers

Seriously look at the above statements in this thread that some people wrote and see how much venom there is, I have to deal with this attitude from people

Completely agree with you!!! I'm also a genuine single parent getting the OPFA. Its a hard enouh situation to be in without people looking down their noses at you and giving you grief about it all the time! Not every single parent is committing fraud!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I can understand people being pissed off over welfare fraud but why are all of these threads about single parents. Why not attack single people who work and sign on the dole or people who claim disability but are more than capable of working. You would think single parents are the only people who claim social welfare.
    I read constantly on here about single parents getting free houses and their rent paid blah blah, as if they are the only people who get it. All people on social welfare get rent allowance and all of the other benefits, not just single parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    Completely agree with you!!! I'm also a genuine single parent getting the OPFA. Its a hard enouh situation to be in without people looking down their noses at you and giving you grief about it all the time! Not every single parent is committing fraud!

In fact only recently the Dept of Social Welfare concluded a huge investigation into thousands of OPFP claimants and found very few cases of fraud. It appears to be very common nowadays for people to go looking for scapegoats for current economic hardship they are experiencing in terms of tax hikes, wage cuts and so on, and single parents seem to be especially targetted, to my mind very unfairly.
    Listen up, people. The bankers and Fianna Fail screwed you, not single parents, who are paying disproportionately with the cuts to child benefit and welfare in the latest and recent budgets.
    If you have ACTUAL EVIDENCE of fraud, present it to the Dept of Social Welfare and they will act on it swiftly. If you just want to bitch about your taxpayer's money being squandered, I suggest you direct your attention to the banking bailout instead, If you just hate single parents and want to rant a load of spoof, prejudice and lies about them, I suggest you go and throw balls of your own excrement at yourself.
    That's all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I've reported three people. About a year ago and again six months ago. No action taken. Sure who cares? It's only mine and your cash being handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

MugMugs wrote: »
    I've reported three people. About a year ago and again six months ago. No action taken. Sure who cares? It's only mine and your cash being handed out.

Unless you're in the Dept of Social Welfare, you have no idea what investigation insued or what action was taken as a result. So, as a proven spoofer, I suggest you get those balls of poo out and aim them at yourself for demonstrably talking nonsense about single parents in order to propagate a prejudicial and incorrect spoof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I can understand people being pissed off over welfare fraud but why are all of these threads about single parents. Why not attack single people who work and sign on the dole or people who claim disability but are more than capable of working. You would think single parents are the only people who claim social welfare.
    I read constantly on here about single parents getting free houses and their rent paid blah blah, as if they are the only people who get it. All people on social welfare get rent allowance and all of the other benefits, not just single parents.

Typical rubbish attitude which has a massive part to play in why we're in the sh*t we're in

Two wrongs don't make a right! Nobody has denied that others aren't doing it. But just because others ARE doing it, doesn't make it right for everyone else to!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement