Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Done Deal Private sellers/dealers

• 17-06-2010 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

I am looking at cars on donedeal and there are lot of adds down as Private but they have multiple cars for sale. (googled phone number)

Should I be worried or is it not a big deal at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A lie in the ad is never a good start, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Lots of dealers advertise on done deal but put the ads up individually as opposed to as a dealer. There's a fair few of them that are trying to blow out ****e stock without NCT or service history and poising as private sellers. then again I know a dealer in Wexford with 100+ cars in stock that advertises on done deal and nowhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

It's an offence for a dealer under the consumer protection act to misrepresent a vehicle in its advertising / presentation. A dealer selling a car online should declare their status from the start. Posing as a private seller is dishonest and unfortunately becoming quite commonplace.

Ironic really when the industry itself refers to 'Private and Rogue Sellers' as being untrustworthy http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/simi-used-cars-beepbeep-ie/

Motorcheck wrote: »
    It's an offence for a dealer under the consumer protection act to misrepresent a vehicle in its advertising / presentation. A dealer selling a car online should declare their status from the start. Posing as a private seller is dishonest and unfortunately becoming quite commonplace.

Ironic really when the industry itself refers to 'Private and Rogue Sellers' as being untrustworthy http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/simi-used-cars-beepbeep-ie/

Correct and right but I know some franchise dealers who are engaging in this practice. And they be SIMI dealers too!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Correct and right but I know some franchise dealers who are engaging in this practice. And they be SIMI dealers too!

Yeah. I'm sure if you dug around a bit you would find links to the same car advertised under a dealers name while simultaneously advertised as a 'private seller'.

• Advertisement

Motorcheck wrote: »
    Yeah. I'm sure if you dug around a bit you would find links to the same car advertised under a dealers name while simultaneously advertised as a 'private seller'.

I could but I wont! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    And they be SIMI dealers too!

yes cause Simi are dealers you can trust.... :D

Advertisement