Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Animals that helped fight in WW1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Reminds me of Warhorse.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Many of those horses were sourced at Irish fairs, such as Cahirimee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Not one of them still alive :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Not one of them still alive :(

Considering horses lifespan is only 20-25 years it's obvious none are alive.
    And very few returned from the war either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

I really hope the poor animals at least got lots of affection from their handlers. The 11th picture seems to be a Koala, I'd love to know in what sense it helped fight a war :)

• Advertisement

I really hope the poor animals at least got lots of affection from their handlers. The 11th picture seems to be a Koala, I'd love to know in what sense it helped fight a war :)

No one ever suspects the koala

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Love the pic of the dog with all the medals :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

wwi_animals_40.jpg

Wow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

So many skinny, badly treated animals. Makes me sick.

Half of those horses are In such bad condition that if they were like this today they'd be either rescues or put down to end their suffering.

There's one picture of the horses girth tightened so tight right across the stomach (and not the rib cage which is more comfy for them) that the belly protrudes from either side of it. Looks very painful and sore to the poor horse.

And that poor skinny dog attached to that heavy cart ...,he's skin and bones and his entire body is deformed from the weight of the cart.

Poor animals .... Suffering because of human selfishness.

wwi_animals_40.jpg

Wow...

He'd be taller standing up ....

• Advertisement

So many skinny, badly treated animals. Makes me sick.

Half of those horses are In such bad condition that if they were like this today they'd be either rescues or put down to end their suffering.

There's one picture of the horses girth tightened so tight right across the stomach (and not the rib cage which is more comfy for them) that the belly protrudes from either side of it. Looks very painful and sore to the poor horse.

And that poor skinny dog attached to that heavy cart ...,he's skin and bones and his entire body is deformed from the weight of the cart.

Poor animals .... Suffering because of human selfishness.
    Sure people back then were in just as bad shape as the animals. Starving in war was very common.
    The nazis and Russians almost caused the Akita to be extinct by killing and eating their own dogs because of starving and in the Cold War they use the furs to stay warm. Same with German shepherds. They were kille and eatin for soldiers just to stay Alive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

He'd be taller standing up ....

It shows you how calm donkeys are though. Canons blasting and they dont move

It shows you how calm donkeys are though. Canons blasting and they dont move

Had a donkey once that was like that. He used to escape from his field and stand right behind a car or horse box and would not move ... He was a character ha, no matter how much revving, beeping and trying to move him he would not budge unless you snowed him some carrots and then he'd be after them like a shot.

Had no fear of anything!

Advertisement