Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,923 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

thanks,
    i think they might help so. my diet is ok, but a little nudge wiould help, i need to tone up before i get into heavy workouts

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Do people put oats in with whey protein for every shake or just for the PWO one where carbs are recommended?

What kind of carb suppliments would people recommend I put in with whey protein for a PWO shake - I'm looking to build muscle / tone (And lose weight as a result).

Would the three PWO suppliments linked to by g'em in the first post include protein in them (so it's just a case of mixing it straight with water) or would they be for adding to protein?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

the basis of the shake will be liquid [water or milk] and Whey

then most people add their own thing to it

Best of making it with water PWO for faster absorption

Your goals are a bit conflicting. To bulk up you need to eat more calories than you need. To lose fat, you need to eat less.

You shouldnt need much carbs pwo, but you need simple carbs [lucozade sport, mi-wadi etc] to replace muscle glycogen

unreggd wrote: »
    the basis of the shake will be liquid [water or milk] and Whey

then most people add their own thing to it

OK - just wasn't sure if the oats thing was just preference or specifically for PWO shakes.
    Your goals are a bit conflicting. To bulk up you need to eat more calories than you need. To lose fat, you need to eat less.

I wouldn't have thought so - from what I've read numerous times here people say the two can go hand in hand and that increasing muscle mass increases your bodies ability to burn fat. Obviously it all requires a good diet and it's not the only way of doing it but if you have more muscle burning energy you'll tend to lose fat as a result.
    You shouldnt need much carbs pwo, but you need simple carbs [lucozade sport, mi-wadi etc] to replace muscle glycogen

People here have been saying less than 1g/kg (I think g'em said 0.5-0.8g) of lean bodyweight in carbs with a 2:1 ratio of carbs: protein. I'm just wondering what supplement specifically you can add for these carbs.

You should get a mass gainer so. I just finished a bag of Serious Mass and it was great

one scoop of S/Mass and one scoop of whey would be a good pwo shake
    You'd be getting 50g protein and about 50g good carbs

Are you doin cardio aswel?

I'd say just go on a bulk. I did it for the last 2.5 months and it made a big difference to my frame, not jus specific muscles. I did put on a little fat but its not a big deal as the muscles beneath got bigger :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spottykatt

Howdy,
    Can anyone reccommend a fatburner?? Im cutting down at the mo and all going well so far, using a super clean moderate carb diet, just looking for a little boost to help loose the last few %bf.
    Ta

Most of them are just green tea caps, so ye'd prob be better off just drinkin actual green tea

once you're on a steady calorie deficit you should be grand

You should get a mass gainer so. I just finished a bag of Serious Mass and it was great

one scoop of S/Mass and one scoop of whey would be a good pwo shake
    You'd be getting 50g protein and about 50g good carbs

Wouldn't have really considered a mass gainer tbh - will look into it.
    Are you doin cardio aswel?

I'm trying to swim in addition to my weights but I've not been nearly regular enough about that - would walk a lot too although not at any kind of pace that I'd consider to be that much of a work out.
    I'd say just go on a bulk. I did it for the last 2.5 months and it made a big difference to my frame, not jus specific muscles. I did put on a little fat but its not a big deal as the muscles beneath got bigger :D

How much bigger did you get in that time frame and what was your workout like during that time? Probably a stupid question but would you have to train extra hard to ensure you weren't putting it on as fat (I mean, I figure it's basically akin to eating more)

Pic here

2nd pic was the 23rd of June

Best stick with compunds:
    Chins/dips
    Squats
    Lunges
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press

and eat like a horse [a horse with a degree in fitness and nutrition :p]

Swimmin aint great for fat loss

Did u start ur own thread? this is goin a little offtopic

Did u start ur own thread? this is goin a little offtopic

It is a little so I won't hog it for much longer! I haven't started my own thread, no. Have been trying to track my gym work with a diary, though. Although not my food (which is the area I'm currently trying to get right as I think I've largely gotten to grips with the exercise side of things for now.

[QUOTEPic here

2nd pic was the 23rd of June[/quote]

Definite difference there alright and in quite a short time frame - I'd have a naturally larger frame than you would have in your before picture and certainly have a bit more fat on my bones too; ultimately I'd be looking to tone mostly but also add some bulk without getting so big that my suits don't fit any more :P (I know, there's no fear of me getting too big by accident - just saying what my ultimate goal would be, a bit more muscle and plenty of definition!).
    Best stick with compunds:
    Chins/dips
    Squats
    Lunges
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press

Yeah - spent a lot of time in the gym for the last while doing a few compounds and mainly isolation work... in the last few weeks I've completely re-thought that and am doing mainly compounds with just one or two isolations. The main benefit is I can spend less time in the gym and still get a great workout - probably better than I had before. Means I'm not rushing to get things done or leaving things out because I've not got the time.

Still got to start doing deadlifts but hoping to factor them in soon enough. Am still doing dumbell squats too but hoping to graduate to the barbell soon - am quite nervous about it though but will do what I did with the bench - start of with low weights until I'm comfortable to take on more.
    and eat like a horse [a horse with a degree in fitness and nutrition :p]

Sounds good to me - am still getting my diet right but it's getting there.
    Swimmin aint great for fat loss

No? Shame - I quite enjoy it and am not the biggest fan of the threadmill. Will still keep swimming all the same as it's not going to be counterproductive but will try and throw even a few minutes cardio in after weights too... the only cardio I've been doing consistently is on the bike for a warm up which doesn't really matter much.

Anyway - apologies to all for hijacking this thread... I won't do it any more!

• Advertisement

Start a thread in the main forum and ye can pick it up there

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Hi, I am training with Lakehill Tug of War club in Knockmore. Lost to Boley (european champions) in the 720kg national final 2 ends to 1 last Sunday in Slane :( But thats beside the point http://irishtugofwar.com

Our training is from 9-11 at night which is fairly late finishing.
    Its a fairly intense session and it take the body 48 hours to fully recover.
    I have read somewhere that taking whey protein was fairly pointless before I go to bed. Would I be better off taking the shake first thing next morning instead? I know that Cassien protein is more effective late at night but they didn't have any of it in the supplement shop at the weekend so I bought whey instead.
    Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

It's not pointless at all, it'll just get digested a lot quicker than casein would. A whey shake would be ideal after training as it'll be quick and easy and you won't feel full before going to bed. You could also add oats to it for extra cals/ energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Glenman wrote: »
    I have read somewhere that taking whey protein was fairly pointless before I go to bed. Would I be better off taking the shake first thing next morning instead? I know that Cassien protein is more effective late at night but they didn't have any of it in the supplement shop at the weekend so I bought whey instead.
    Thanks in advance
    Take the whey straight after the workout with water so it absorbs quickly. Many say take it immediately after, so I start taking some during the workout sometimes, I figure it will be absorbing well by the time I finish.

To mimic the effect of casein you can just mix the whey with milk before bed, the milk slows down absportion. Casein costs a lot more than whey too, so it is a cheap alternative, also since you only have to buy 1 protein tub you can save due to buying in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Lads, I have a load of unflavoured whey that I want to use up, problem is, every time I try it, it makes me want to retch. So basically I'm looking for something to mask just how disgusting it tastes.

I know I recommended Options hot chocolate to a few people here - I heard it was gorgeous from one of Hanley's mates - to all those people, I apologise. It actually tastes awful. I saw someone recommend making a smoothie out of it with ice and pineapple but that was awful as well.

The question is, am I being unrealistic thinking I can make this nasty protein taste somewhat decent and should I just give up, hold my nose and chug it back?? Or has anyone discovered something I can mix it with to make it taste yummy??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I used to use that syrup stuff that you get on 99's
    you can get it in the supermarket. alot of sugar though, but it did mask the taste, however I just ended up getting flavoured whey after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

malteaser what about mixing half a scoop of unflavoured with half a scoop of a flavoured whey?? If the flavour is strong enough it might be ok, though obviously it will take a little longer to use it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

if ya have a blender try some honey and a banana, should do a trick, possibly some peanut butter or nuts of some sort, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I used to use that syrup stuff that you get on 99's
    you can get it in the supermarket. alot of sugar though, but it did mask the taste, however I just ended up getting flavoured whey after that.

That's a clever idea, probably a bit too much sugar though...I'm doing my best to keep it to a minimum at the moment!
    malteaser what about mixing half a scoop of unflavoured with half a scoop of a flavoured whey?? If the flavour is strong enough it might be ok, though obviously it will take a little longer to use it up!

Now there's an idea, I must give that a go if I could get my hands on some falvoured protein.

*Hint hint Hanley* :)
    if ya have a blender try some honey and a banana, should do a trick, possibly some peanut butter or nuts of some sort, no?

Sounds good, I was really looking for something that I could stick in a blender and drink away. I'm not really into bananas but I'm sure I could try it with some other fruit. Maybe mango and try to recreate that smoothie from Zumo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

if ya like orange throw in a rubex(orange flavour)
    very nice also, or pick a fruit ya like and pop that in;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

Hi lads,
    Im looking into buying some whey now that im going to the gym,
    Just wanted to know how does it mix with water?
    Is is just a case of stirring in for a minute or does it need blending?
    Was on casilan 90 a while ago and that was a pain to mix,
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Whey should mix good in a shaker bottle, might not stir up to well though.
    Casilan is casein based, that doesn't mix well without a blender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Decent brands of whey should mix with a few seconds of vigourous shaking (in a shaker).

I remember drinking lumpy pints of casilan, uuugh.

How long does ZMA take to absorb?

Ive read it has to be taken with no calcium, as calcium is prioritised and the ZMA isnt absorbed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

How long does ZMA take to absorb?

Ive read it has to be taken with no calcium, as calcium is prioritised and the ZMA isnt absorbed

It really doent matter as its doing you almost no good whatsoever.You might get a better night's sleep under its influence but mostly its a con-job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Malteaser! wrote: »
    Lads, I have a load of unflavoured whey that I want to use up, problem is, every time I try it, it makes me want to retch. So basically I'm looking for something to mask just how disgusting it tastes.

I know I recommended Options hot chocolate to a few people here - I heard it was gorgeous from one of Hanley's mates - to all those people, I apologise. It actually tastes awful. I saw someone recommend making a smoothie out of it with ice and pineapple but that was awful as well.

The question is, am I being unrealistic thinking I can make this nasty protein taste somewhat decent and should I just give up, hold my nose and chug it back?? Or has anyone discovered something I can mix it with to make it taste yummy??

You could try making it chocolate flavoured by using some 100% cocoa powder.

Degsy wrote: »
    It really doent matter as its doing you almost no good whatsoever.You might get a better night's sleep under its influence but mostly its a con-job.
    How do you know this??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

How do you know this??

I took the stuff for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

How do you know this??

In fairness to Degsy, much of the 'evidence' supporting ZMA is anecdotal and hte science behind it is flimsy at best. That being said, it doesn't mean it won't work, simply that it hasn't been proven beyond doubt that it will. Have a read here and see what you think.

• Advertisement

Yeah most of the stuff Ive read is conflicting

Some say it showed inprovements, others say none at all

but that could be the whole Calcium issue

Ill give it a shot and see what happens

Advertisement