Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

holographic tinsel

• 08-08-2010 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi ya'll.Has anyone used holgraphic tinsel tying trout flies.I picked up some olive,silver,gold and orange spools of the stuff in ballina recently and the reflective quality of it looks like it would work really well.I normally use silver or gold ribbing on my flies but I am going to give this stuff a go for a while just to see if it makes any difference.I'd be interested to know if anyone has caught fish using this material instead of the standard ribbing on traditional patterns.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 THE 1

i dont have any but see it in some flies, looks good. what size hook would it work as a rib ? can you get it in different sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I imagine you mean rainbows/stocked trout with the colours and tinsel?
    Traditional flies are just that.... traditional and they work.
    Some people like to play round with different hackles, dubbing, wings or adding legs or flashy bits. at the end of the day you are trying to imitate what the fish are feeding on at that time unless you are trying to imitate sticklebacks or minnows otherwise wouldnt really use holographic tinsel in wild trout patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

I imagine you mean rainbows/stocked trout with the colours and tinsel?
    Traditional flies are just that.... traditional and they work.
    Some people like to play round with different hackles, dubbing, wings or adding legs or flashy bits. at the end of the day you are trying to imitate what the fish are feeding on at that time unless you are trying to imitate sticklebacks or minnows otherwise wouldnt really use holographic tinsel in wild trout patterns.
    I am talking about traditional patterns for wild brownies.I think it will be interesting to see how effective this material will be with hares ear,seals fur bodies.In imitative patterns we use the tried and tested patterns and they work well,but if this stuff enhanced the appearance of a nymph or wet fly and caught fish then great.I tie(badly)the standard patterns but nothing ventured nothing gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

THE 1 wrote: »
    i dont have any but see it in some flies, looks good. what size hook would it work as a rib ? can you get it in different sizes.
    I bought it to use as a rib.I got it in medium cos that's all they had.Looking at it I would say a size 12 hook but I need to use it first to confirm that.They had one colour in small so I reckon you could get it in the general sizes.I'm going to experiment with this stuff first so I will get back to you when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

i have used holographic tinsel in salmon flies with good results....for wild browns i am not so sure, but its worth a go. the dawl bach which can be used effectively for nymphing or buzzer feeding wild trout sometimes is tied with red holographic tinsel as a rib, and it works, so you never know as you say its worth a try but i wouldnt go mad with it and keep its use to a minimum for wild fish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

That material could be at it's most useful in flies for fishing after dark ....

Advertisement