Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

West Cork break

• 27-07-2015 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Would appreciate advice on the best place to stay for a 2 night break in West Cork, never been there before except for Kinsale, so want to tour around a bit but have a nice base.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Would appreciate advice on the best place to stay for a 2 night break in West Cork, never been there before except for Kinsale, so want to tour around a bit but have a nice base.

Baltimore. Stay at the Waterfront in the square. Lovely boat trips to Sherkin and Clear island. You wont be disappointed. A hidden gem, much nicer than Kinsale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Thanks for that, I liked Kinsale but found it very very expensive and we are pensioners so can't afford anything too pricey.

There is also a lovely B&B in the cove in Baltimore run by a German lady called the "Slipway" which is a little quieter, not that Baltimore is noisy - it isnt.
    Visit the beautiful Lough Ine which is a few miles away by car but well worth the visit for a picnic.
    Saturday morming Country Market in Skibereen, lunch in Schull, another beautiful spot.
    Eating can be informal or formal. Rolfs is great, as is upstairs in the Waterfront, Called "The Lookout", the views of the setting sun over Roaring Water Bay while you have dinner are beautiful.
    Lunch in Bushes, smoked mackeral or salmon open sandwich is to die for, order the small one though.
    Take a walk/drive up to the Beacon for great views over Baltimore Bay and the islands.
    Ferry to North Harbour on Clear island and do the short walk to South Harbour which is lovely. You will probably even see dolphins on this trip.
    Dont forget to visit the restored O Driscoll castle. The owners have done a fabulous job with a painstaking restoration.

The scenery around this area is fantastic.

There is a reason Cork people holiday here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Baltimore is lovely. Return daily ferries to Cape Clear is about €16 and Sherkin is about half that. It has 2 or 3 pubs and a few restaurants. It's not too far of a drive out too Mizen Head or Barley Cove.

For free things there is the Drombeg Stone Circle in Glandore and the Knockdrum Fort outside Castletownsend which are fantastic little gems. Lough Ine also has some gorgeous walks around the lake and up the hill if you're able for it. There's a farmers market in Skibbereen too every Saturday, great to grab some unique foods and knick knacks.

Is Casey's a nice hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Is Casey's a nice hotel?

I've never stayed there myself but the TripAdvisor reviews are positive.
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g211928-d189761-Reviews-Casey_s_of_Baltimore_Hotel-Baltimore_County_Cork.html#REVIEWS

I know there's a B&B nearby thats quite nice and hospitable
    http://www.channelviewbb.com/

Is Casey's a nice hotel?
    I havent stayed there but know many who have and all reports are great. Very well thought of in the local area.
    They do have deals on from time to time.

Thanks for that I have booked a couple of nights in Caseys.

Advertisement