Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

**HPAT and Medicine 2016**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Robbiert

Calm down David! It really doesn't matter if your scores on Career Services or any other prep course are not up to the mark. The problem with those courses is that they repeat question styles so often that people become immune to them. I'm taking friday off completely. You need to able to think on the day.

I agree completely. At this stage the most useful thing you can do is relax and make sure you're ready logistically for Saturday (admission ticket etc.). By all accounts the Hpat is different to all prep courses material and we've all heard the stories of people doing much better (and much worse) in the real HPAT than papers provided by various companies. Either way its anyone's game, and in my eyes a positive and calm attitude will help anyone more than erratic cramming. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

Repeating the HPAT Saturday. I am repeating the LC also
    My question is that if I do a little better on the HPAT but worse in the LC can I use my 2015 LC or do I have to use the most recent one ??
    Good luck to all on Sat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As Robbiert says, get the small things organised for Saturday.

Don't be flapping about like a headless chicken, stressing yourself. Leave in plenty of time so that when you get there, you have time to find where you have to go etc.. Have someone to leave your phone with, orleave it at home - one less thing to worry about. Anything that could cause you stress or distress, deal with it in advance.

Good luck on the day (and often it is about luck) and regardless of how it goes, make it a positive experience. Perhaps the universe intends a different path for you than that which you have chosen. There are many many challenging and rewarding careers out there which bright young people like yourselves could excel in.

Whatever happens, it will not be the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

Consonata wrote: »
    I've plateaued at around 68-70 for my average mark so I am starting to panic a bit.
    I'm going to do the supplied Acer paper Friday morning and just chill out the rest of the day.
    Has anybody got tips for what you should do to get in the zone?

66% of questions correct in the real hpat for me translated to 98th &ile if that is any consolation to you

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

Repeating the HPAT Saturday. I am repeating the LC also
    My question is that if I do a little better on the HPAT but worse in the LC can I use my 2015 LC or do I have to use the most recent one ??
    Good luck to all on Sat

i believe you'll be able to use your LC score from 2015 with your hpat score from 2016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Lucky Leprechaun

I'm a little confused:

I'm bringing my passport with me and wallet for cash & leapcard and phone
    Bottled water (no label)
    Several HB Pencils (is it okay if brand names are on them?)
    Finally the admissions ticket (Is it okay to print out in black & white?)

what do I do with my passport, wallet etc? Do I bring a bag to place them in? or can I leave it in my pocket?

You can leave your phone on the floor right?

Also on the Admissions ticket it says "Document Number" but its blank do I fill in my passport number?

thank you xoxox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

I'm a little confused:

I'm bringing my passport with me and wallet for cash & leapcard and phone
    Bottled water (no label)
    Several HB Pencils (is it okay if brand names are on them?)
    Finally the admissions ticket (Is it okay to print out in black & white?)

what do I do with my passport, wallet etc? Do I bring a bag to place them in? or can I leave it in my pocket?

You can leave your phone on the floor right?

Also on the Admissions ticket it says "Document Number" but its blank do I fill in my passport number?

thank you xoxox

You can leave your phone on the floor. facing downwards, I think.(You can def place it in the floor)
    You enter your passport number in the document number.
    It is okay to print it out in black and white
    For the other questions, I am sure, someone will answer them for you, as I do not know either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Consonata

Anybody have any ideas on how to keep the stress down coming up to tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

I'm going to listen to my favourite album on the train to galway, Silent Alarm by Bloc Party

• Registered Users Posts: 41 David1997

Not much more we can do now only try and get a good night's sleep! Good luck everyone ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Passport is left on the table and they go around and check them, also have to show them before you go in

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jack55

Just out of curiosity - assuming you do decently in your HPAT, what kind of points in the LC would you be safe with for medicine?

Jack55 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity - assuming you do decently in your HPAT, what kind of points in the LC would you be safe with for medicine?

The course I went to said the LC represents around 70% overall.

I think the high 500's is where you should be aiming. After 550 the points are adjusted. So probably over 550 and a solid hpat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

I have no idea how I did but I'm just glad it's over....hopefully that's the last time I'll ever have to do that disaster of a test.

I have no idea how I did but I'm just glad it's over....hopefully that's the last time I'll ever have to do that disaster of a test.

amen to that haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I may as well have been doing a Chinese exam for section three! It was a disaster :p

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

I found section 1 very challenging. Section 3 was nice.

This thread is so dead in comparison to last year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

yoyojc wrote:
    This thread is so dead in comparison to last year!!

Be glad about that, had a very annoying troll last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pipestemliver

Section 2 was ok I thought, sections 1 and 3 very challenging :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 idontwantalot

Are we allowed to vaguely discuss some of the questions on here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 pipestemliver

Are we allowed to vaguely discuss some of the questions on here?

i think so, without mentioning the details of the actual questions. Found that q in S1 about the 7 digit number horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 6 idontwantalot

Didn't get the turtle one at all was it x,y or z? It was a hard one, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Daggermouth

Is your hpat score got by using percentiles for each section, or the amount of questions that you got right?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 joe....

how did people do those heptagon/number questions in section 1?
    What did yous say for whether 1001 0r 1000 was larger or smaller after being flipped??
    and anyone remember answers for the last questions with the branches linking animals?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Burgerking19

I ended up struggling for time in section 1 and having to completely guess about 8 questions which I know is AWFUL. This included the whole 7 number Q. Are more marks going for the problem solving questions in section one? because I left these till last (stupidely) and had no time to properly do them. The rest of section 1 is a blur but I am not expecting to do very well overall.

Section 2 was much better than I expected but I tend to think I did good in this section and end up coming out with an average score so I'm not expecting much.

Section 3 was definitely trickier than the practice exams on ME, maybe it was a timing issue again but I ended up guessing probably 5. I am usually good at this section so I can only hope.

Overall, I was very unhappy with my exam which I think was mainly down to timing.

Well the thing is, if everyone is unhappy, we won't all do badly!

Yeah discussing qs is fine!

I think I said Z for the turtle if that makes sense haha
    Section 1 has literally zero easy questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 umar3061

Was C the answer to any of the last 4 Q's in section 1? I ran out of time so I just picked C for the last 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Burgerking19

umar3061 wrote: »
    Was C the answer to any of the last 4 Q's in section 1? I ran out of time so I just picked C for the last 4.

dont remember what the q's were for them, for the 7 number heptagon q's were the last 4 questions answers bcbc cause i just scribbled that down .. i would hope one of my guesses is right 😓😓😓

Can anyone think of any s1 questions that they actually understood?
    I need to assure myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Robbiert

Anyone else think section 3 was alright? easier than the late ME exams for sure

Advertisement