Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Web Design Question

• 24-01-2012 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, I’m setting up a website as a business but I have no experience in web design or how to make it work, the only thing I have is the idea. If I employ a web designer how much of that can he/she help with or will I need to know exactly what I want before I go to them for the design? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Wreck wrote: »
    Hey folks, I’m setting up a website as a business but I have no experience in web design or how to make it work, the only thing I have is the idea. If I employ a web designer how much of that can he/she help with or will I need to know exactly what I want before I go to them for the design? Thanks in advance.

It's usually better to have a clear idea what you want, since you both then know what the deliverables are.

Having said that, lots of people don't know what is or isn't possible or advisable in order to give a designer that overview.

I've helped develop a few concepts from the bare idea, and it can work well due to the absence of preconceived notions, but just be sure to acknowledge that this is additional effort/advice/time on the part of the designer and/or developer.

P.S. There's also significant trust required so that the designer won't run with the idea themselves and also so that the client won't take the starting advice for free and go elsewhere......the agreement / NDA should be clear as to BOTH parties' obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Wreck wrote: »

Depends on the idea and the potential as well. If it's something you are not sure is going to work - or how well it is going to work - use the approach of 'fail fast, fail cheap. Not that you should be thinking that it's not going to work - rather it just means that you get to test out the idea at minimal cost to yourself. There are also ways of setting up a website for cheap/free - Wordpress is one such option, as is www.gettingbusinessesonline.ie

But yes, as mentioned, be clear on what you are looking for, and look for referrals/testimonials and evidence of experience from any potential designer you contract.

Advertisement