Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How well do boardsies represent Irish people?

• 26-03-2012 1:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

There are times I get the impression that there are a lot of bitter nerd types on boards. Also the opinions I see which are often a lot more interesting than what you hear in "real life" don't seem to match very closely to the opinions you hear in " real life".

How do you think people on boards differ from outside it?

For example if boards was representative of Ireland the Irish Daily Mail would be out of business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It's not anywhere near big enough to be representative of Ireland as a whole. It's representative of people like you and me, who like to talk shíte with strangers on the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I'd say the majority of people on here are college-educated, middle class and male with a certian liberal bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

If the Irish people generally hate themselves, then very well id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

There are times I get the impression that there are a lot of bitter nerd types on boards. Also the opinions I see which are often a lot more interesting than what you hear in "real life" don't seem to match very closely to the opinions you hear in " real life".

For example if boards was representative of Ireland the Irish Daily Mail would be out of business.

What type of things do bitter nerds post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Boards is full of bitter, deluded angry people who love nothing more than to whine and complain about every facet of life.

A very accurate representation of Irish people I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

It represents us all very well, ya c*nt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The mods do a good job. They deserve more credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Not very well. There's an awful lot of keyboard warrior shíte here and one-upmanship from what I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

they don't, there just like other people but on the internet they can't really be challenged for that they say its kinda safe for them to say what they want, its like bing in mummy whom in a way...

How ever most of the boardie peoples i know are rockingly cool....

How ever the ****, storing keyboard attackers well i don't really pay to much attention to...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Very well, the only thing we lack IRL is a thanks button, then it would be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Agree with john doe, but I also think that hiding behind a username some people are more critical,some more open and a lot are full of bullsh!t and self importance. Much like real life I suppose. IMO :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Lick arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Downlinz wrote: »
    Boards is full of bitter, deluded angry people who love nothing more than to whine and complain about every facet of life.

A very accurate representation of Irish people I'd say.
    I would say it has many members lacking in self awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

What does that have to do with the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

prinz wrote: »
    Not very well. There's an awful lot of keyboard warrior shíte here and one-upmanship from what I can see.
    Well so's your face! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think I should get both parachutes because I am great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

I'd say it'd be selling by the hundreds of thousands. Rabid, reactionary, knee-jerk, foaming-at-the mouth keyboard warrior looney right bias around AH, not so much in the other fora. Think Ireland IRL is a much more liberal, tolerant and decent place.

You'd be hard pressed to meet a fully paid up libertarian IRL as well, they seem to be two-a-penny around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I think boards is a great representation of a certain sector of Ireland, but then in other ways misses the grand scheme completely. It takes a certain type of person to find message boards appealing, the type of person who feels compelled to discuss and debate the 'best' in a certain field, the type of person who likes to analyse mundane things that most would just let pass by them, the type of person who is going to be more cynical and doesn't like to blindly accept the facts as they're presented by one source.

It's the geek section of Ireland. But I say that affectionately, not as an insult. Look at my post count, I'm just as much one as anyone else. And its popularity and growth means that you can pretty much find out the definitive 'geek's view' of things, because it'll likely have attracted a good 80-90% of geeks on any particular subject.

So if you want to get a representation of how Ireland feels on a particular subject in general, while I wouldn't say that boards is the gospel on the matter, it certainly is an essential stop along the way.

lastlaugh wrote: »

Stuff that's in disagreement with what he posts probably.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well, I would hope the "i hate all irish women" posters don't represent anyone

• Advertisement

benway wrote: »

I'd say it'd be selling by the hundreds of thousands. Rabid, reactionary, knee-jerk, foaming-at-the mouth keyboard warrior looney right bias around AH, not so much in the other fora. Think Ireland IRL is a much more liberal, tolerant and decent place.

You'd be hard pressed to meet a fully paid up libertarian IRL as well, they seem to be two-a-penny around these parts.
    Yeah there are plenty of reasonable people here in fairness, but whenever someone says this place has a "liberal" (derp) bias, I think to myself "How right-wing ARE you?!"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What does that have to do with the thread?
    Dead right I bribed the bugger to post it elsewhere.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

I think it's a pretty good representation when you account for the general internet effect of more outspokenness because of anonymity. I think the site has very similar biases to those on other sites e.g. Reddit. Liberal, third level education, middle class like john doe said.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Dudess wrote: »
    I think to myself "How right-wing ARE you?!"

Slightly to the right of Attilla the Hun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

lastlaugh wrote: »

An example would be complaining about extroverted people. I've seen it numerous times where someone thinks if you are extroverted you must be an asshole or attention seeking. Some people are just extroverted and that's it but I get the impression a subsection of people on boards would be resentful of extroverted people, they rationalise reasons for it but it boils down to the fact they find it difficult to be extroverted and resent those who can be extroverted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It's hard to get to the truth of something on boards anyway. It's only text, no real nuance or subtlety and extended conversations don't really reveal all that much, a lot can be lost via the method of communication.

As such, it's hard to know if posts are representative of a poster, let alone if an entire body of posters are representative of anything else.
    An example would be complaining about extroverted people. I've seen it numerous times where someone thinks if you are extroverted you must be an asshole or attention seeking. Some people are just extroverted and that's it but I get the impression a subsection of people on boards would be resentful of extroverted people, they rationalise reasons for it but it boils down to the fact they find it difficult to be extroverted and resent those who can be extroverted.

In fairness, with regard to this point, there does seem to be a mild culture of shooting someone down when they imply ability or success, but that is mostly on AH and i think more indicative of the non-serious nature and general mocking that we can all get up to on AH anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

O.P. Real life is far more interesting than anything the media can come up with but you can't put it out there for many reasons .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think I should get both parachutes because I am a fat bastard.

Sorry ,just couldn't resist temptation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I think it's an exaggerated and slightly-distorted back-of-a-spoon-type reflection of Irish people.

People whose views in real life would be fairly moderate tend to lean more towards the left or right more than they do in real life, largely because of the lack of inhibition and potential face-to-face criticism, and the fact that you find yourself arguing against extreme versions of the arguments you disagree with.

I do think there's a higher proportion of extreme right-wing views on Boards compared to real life (at least I hope there's not that many people like that in real life), probably because conservative politics usually appeals to people's individualistic impulses. Most people wouldn't really express these views too much in real life, probably because they take them as universal truths and don't think of them as personal views, or because they know the expression of the more extreme beliefs might not be so socially acceptable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement