Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"If suffering brings wisdom, I would wish to be less wise." LC 2016 Study log

Options
  • 28-07-2015 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Starting a bit early, hoping this can give a bit of structure to my study before the LC. Hoping for Medicine in either UCD or Trinity. If the HPAT doesn't go my way, Psychology + French in Trinity.

English: A2
    Irish (OL): B1
    Maths: A2
    Biology: A1
    History: A2
    Physics: A1
    French: A2
    Music A1

That comes to around 595 :eek: :eek: so you know why I'm starting early. These grades are subject to change, but I look to aim high and if I fall I won't fall too far. Hopefully this will help anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Consonata

Thought I should update this, will probably be updating more regularly next year.

Biology

Been rewriting pages of Biology notes + doing some exam questions on weak chapters e.g respiration. Did about 20 pages so far. It's helping me refresh alot. I have to say this pomodoro technique is working really well. I am really productive when I use it and I get alot done in what feels like a small amount of time

French

Been organizing notes for French. Been catching up with Duolingo also. If anybody here is on Duo shoot me a pm and I'll follow you. Grammar seems to be my weakest point, particularly all the rules in Passé Compose i.e COD and COI. Strangely Imparfait and Conditionnel I'm not having much trouble with. Might do some essays on this website called Lang8.

Maths

Next to nothing though I've been meaning to do exam questions. I'm not sure what I should do regarding study for maths. Maybe exam questions. I'll see the rest of this week.
    Also keeping up Piano in the background as there is a Scholarship in UCD I'm applying for for performing arts that could help alot in terms of Finance and Points. It's been a busy week :rolleyes:

Starting back tomorrow. Half terrified, Half ready I think. I have everything organized and I have a plan in mind of how to get through the year. Let us just hope it'll work out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Good luck man. Leaving Cert isn't as scary as it may seem, though time flies by. Remember that, and work hard every single day, never mind if it's only the first of september or 27th of May.

I'm not sure I can be of much use to you otherwise, though, I did the LC twice with two HL history projects.. Got 81% in it this year, and I'm fairly sure an A1/High A2 last year. One's about Apollo 11, the other's JFK assassination. If you would like to take a look at them, send me a message. :)

Planning out my week so far. Beginning with just doing homework to get myself settled in but I think I am planning on covering/writing notes on a few topics this week.

English

Plan is to write notes for King Lear in the form of mind maps covering Cordelia and Lear himself. Might try and do a question on it afterwards to see how it goes. I will also write up notes on how the themes of the play affects each character

Maths

Planning on revising Probablility and Statistics, will print out a set of exam questions on both which I will do over the weekend. I will probably dip into Differentiation to help myself get a feel for it. My class has been going quite slowly so a bit of a head start should do no harm.

If you guys have any more tips, please do tell. I'll need all the help I can get.

English

So far I have written some scene summaries for each of the first and second acts of King Lear. Planning to later today to draw some mind maps for the characters. Probably won't have time to do a question

Maths

Haven't touched yet except for doing some revision questions on statistics. Been bogged down on the sheer workload of homework all week. Hopefully it will ease off and I can more accurately plan my time

History

Will be writing a essay on The Welfare State. Have a test on it on Tuesday. It should be a nice essay but it is very numbery so it will take a bit of time to learn it off

French

If I get time today I'll try and get an opinion piece done. It shouldn't take too long. Been doing alot of Duolingo as I do alot of travelling for music. Memrise is also good for subject specific french vocab. Ive been doing a few decks on French in Law and Order, L'environnement, Des drogues et stupefiants and others. It seems to be helping but French and English will probably will be the two subjects that take most of my time.

Over all, it's been an ok week. I probably could have gotten more, but I'm juggling so many things that it's a marvel I'm still able to keep everything up really. Really would appreciate any advice or tips to be more time efficient. I have a study timetable now, but apart from that give me whatever you think could be useful if you could. Thanks!

• Advertisement

I have left this die too easily I am afraid. I might try every other day to keep it updated, but things have been rather hectic for me recently. I'll fill you guys in on what my week has been like so far.

Maths
    On my way to completing 30 pages of Notes on Statistics and Probability. Hoping to start doing exam questions on this. I might begin some work on Algebra 3, Logs and such to catch up. I sometimes feel like we are falling behind

Biology
    Been making Anki flashcard decks for two chapter every second day then reviewing it the following day. Its worked so far, been flying with exam questions. We are moving very slowly at the moment and I don't think there will be much revision time at the end. Revising the 5th year work needs to be done now.

English
    I've been lagging behind quite a bit in English and I don't really know where I should start. Ive been writing out revision sheets for King Lear but not sure what in terms of prepping myself for questions I should do. Same goes for the poetry. I have the comparative almost nailed

Hoping to revive this now as we head into the New Year. I am well behind where I would like to be right now between the HPAT and the mocks etc. So I hope to start doing daily updates. If any of you guys have any tips or any of you past LC doers have any tips for stress and keeping the pressure on through the year, please let me know, i'd be sincerely grateful.

6th January 2016

English

- King Lear quotes written out for a few characters, recorded and hoping to listen to them in the mornings. Added character descriptions and buzz words.
    - Poetry study notes are in progress, finished up Yeats with each sheet having buzz words, marked quotes and commentary taken from notes

Biology

- Revised Photosynthesis a little bit, just did a few questions, not as many as I would have liked
    - Wrote up notes for Plant structure to be finished. Also began notes on DNA also to be finished

French

- Finished off my document
    - Did an Opinion Reaction on pollution. Grammar is still weak and needs to be practiced.

Notes:
    Not as much as I would have hoped to have done, still trying to get back in the swing of things after the Christmas time. Would hope that all this note writing will be done halfway through next week and finishing off revision and actually doing whole papers can begin.

Pomodoro Count - 9

7th January 2016

English

- Did a Question A, went well enough, need to tighten up on structure. Just learnt the format of the answer today
    - Made notes on the specific language points.

Biology

- Finished notes on Plant Structure, exam qs to be done tomorrow
    - Finished notes on DNA and genetics, exam qs to be done tomorrow

French

- Another Opinion reaction from the papers, not as good as the first, trying to be less lenient on notes.Trying to be more realistic about what it will be like in an exam

Maths

- Just did homework, more revision needed here.

Notes: An ok day, still trying to get back into the swing of study after christmas time. I guess that's to be expected. Still kind of frustrated how unproductive i'm being considering the mocks are 4 weeks away. Still, better than nothin'

Pomodoro count
    : 9

Rest day today, hoping to hit 12 or more Pomodoros every day for the weekend. Need to build up History plans and practice Biology papers.

Need to get back into this again
    January 19th 2016

English

- Learned quotations fro King Lear
    - Polished off a section of notes on CC and beginning notes on GG
    - Began notes on language types and did a QA

French

- Vocab Vocab Vocab
    - Opinion Reaction on Drug addiction

History

- Document Question

Maths

- Financial Maths questions

Note:
    On the whole, I have been feeling very down these past couple of days. The mocks are creeping up at less than 3 weeks away and I'm at the stage where I might have to abandon a paper to do a decent HPAT. Everything is coming all at the one time and it can be sometimes quite hard to deal with. Occasionally I just think of the mountains of work ahead of me in certain subjects, making either to work extremely hard or feel extremely unproductive. 8 subjects + HPAT + practicing for a music scholarship is no mean feat. I'm coming to realize that now, and If I am going to do what I want to do and succeed, then I need to dramatically change my outlook on how I tackle the LC.

I'd really appreciate if anybody out there has any advice or motivational comments to help me with this. Now it is a new start, lets beat this thing.

Pomodoro count: 8

• Advertisement
Advertisement