Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bioshock Infinite - 'The Ending' Discussion Thread (Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!)

• 27-03-2013 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread .... Bioshock ending spoiler thread.

Mod: ^^ Text added to stop spoilers from showing on thread hover in main forum.
    The ending was crap.

was nice to see rapture for all of ten seconds, was expecting way more from the tears than it gave.

The game is good but it doesn't deserve the ridiculously high scores it got from critics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

Just finished it.
    My mind is broken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just finished it there
    don't really like the ending. surely the lutece's could have just gone and smothered dewitt themselves rather than putting us through the rigmarole of playing the game.

*shrug*

it was worth 36 euro anyway, don't feel short changed.. just disappointed. I'd hoped to love it.

--edit

15 hours... ntb

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A question to those who have finished it. I'm on
    Comstock's airship at the moment, several stories up.
    Am I near the end of the game? I feel like I am at any rate. An hour left? More or less?

The bit where you
    see old, tortured, defeated Elizabeth in the furure tear was absolutely heartbreaking. Hearing her resist her torture waiting for DeWitt to show up was so sad......especially as we knew he would never come.

I feared that that would be the end of her and there was no going back so I was relieved when she handed you the code for the bird and then sent you back to rescure her former self.

Yes, it was a cliche sci-fi trope in a way but they executed it brilliantly in my eyes.

Kirby wrote: »
    A question to those who have finished it. I'm on
    Comstock's airship at the moment, several stories up.
    Am I near the end of the game? I feel like I am at any rate. An hour left? More or less?
    [/spoiler]
    yeah you're very close to the end. under an hour i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The combat is annoying, but everything else is brilliant. The ending is basically
    Looper, (I imagine Levine was annoyed when that movie came out)
    but for me the thing that really sets it apart is the environments and the detail from the
    fall into the artificial beach (I assumed I had fallen off Columbia) to the music from the 1980s when Columbia destroys New York that is playing in the background everywhere

• Advertisement

Not unsurprisingly people have started to pick apart the ending. I think that is just inevitable with any story that involves
    time travel and multiple universes and paradoxes

Needless to say HUGE SPOILERS in the following link
    http://www.oxm.co.uk/51623/features/why-bioshock-infinites-ending-doesnt-work/?page=1

While a lot of their points are valid, the ending does have plot hole issues, it is some what missing the point a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Setting this up, because plenty of people are now finished the game, and the ending is generating discussion in the regular thread. Enough to warrant a thread of it's own imo.

I have not finished the game and will not be back here until I do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Why create an thread about a certain games ending when you haven't even finished the game yourself yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Because they make the main thread difficult to read? People want to post as they are playing it, and there are already a few posts like:

Just finished it there,
    blah blah blah....

Some people don't want the ending spoiled on them (particularly since this one allegedly so good). Since the ending posts seem to be spoilered in the main thread, I'll move those posts here now.

someone that occured to me as I was starting up a 1999 mode playthrough

how the hell did slate not realise that dewitt was comstock?

he fought with dewitt, he recognised dewitt in the game.. but because dewitt gets baptised, grows a beard and changes his name.. slate doesn't recognise him anymore?

--edit

also.. walking into the city for the first time and walking over the bridge reminds me of charlie brookers pleasant neighbourhood simulator from gameswipe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Finished it last night and felt very unsatisfied with the ending. Then again Bioshock 2 had a pretty crap ending as well so I was expecting something similar with this game :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I felt the ending was a bit too messy and full of holes.
    For example Elizabeth killing Booker creates a time paradox. If he dies at the baptism then she never exists to drown him there.

Also given we've seen that there are multiple universes whats the point of killing him when he may still exist in many other universes. How does killling him in the one universe put a stop to what happens i the other ones?

They should have really went for a more simplified ending but they over reached and we have a weaker ending for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Why is there spoiler tags on all the posts in a spoiler thread??
    I'm on a phone and its a pain to read them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

just finished it there, was a good game well worth the money. The ending, well i actually just said to myself at the reveal thats was f**ing retarded and made zero sense, it was one of those cop out moments of story telling thats usually a big no no, its akin to ending a book with "and it was all a dream".

But regardless i felt the last hour or two of the game was my most enjoyable, but the end just made it all pointless nonsense.

Apparently the ending took 4 months to work out, so I'm guessing the plot holes are not as plot holey as they seem at first.

Though having said that Lost had 5 years and the writers still messed that one up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Finished it and loved it.

I've always been a sucker for "Alternate Dimensions and Timelines" stories, so it was right up my street. Linking the lighthouses, the whole Lutece duo plot, the trip to rapture, just loved it all. And it's an ending which actually seems to have generated quite a bit of discussion which is always great.

Now, a second run through for all the audio logs!

Well, im not sure what to make of the ending. It might require some more thought before I weigh in properly.

But one thing struck me quite strongly. Elizabeth sees all and knows all through the tears at the end. she is willfully leading you to your death......

Man, thats cold :(. I suppose you could say he had it coming but still.....it left me a little unfulfilled.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

On top of that, she's doing it knowing that in the process, "Elizabeth" ceases to exist; no Comstock, no her, since her upbringing would completely change :(

On top of that, she's doing it knowing that in the process, "Elizabeth" ceases to exist; no Comstock, no her, since her upbringing would completely change :(

Yeah that is what the post credits scene appears to be all about. The Comstock version of booker....the one who rejected the baptism.....is drowned. And it appears to me Comstock is drowned in all universes because all the Elizabeth's do it to you.

So the Booker who accepted the baptism wakes up, goes into the nursery and there is his child.....because no Comstock exists to take her from him.

there was a scene after the credits?

whoops

• Advertisement

It's short. Black and white, booker is back in his room. There is the jingle of the baby chime, he turns and enters the room with the crib and says "Anna?". Fade to black.

It implies that with Comstock booker drowned and dead, DeWitt booker keeps the child.

Kirby wrote: »
    It's short. Black and white, booker is back in his room. There is the jingle of the baby chime, he turns and enters the room with the crib and says "Anna?". Fade to black.

It implies that with Comstock booker drowned and dead, DeWitt booker keeps the child.

Call me crazy, but I think because you end up back in the room where you always go when you die, that this is sort of like heaven, that "heaven" is an alternative reality (I think Ken Levin is an atheist, and he certainly seems critical of religion, so I imagine he doesn't believe in the Christian notion of heaven).

So Booker dies by drowning and just like he has died a hundred times during the game and he ends up in the but this time with Anna.

Or something ... :D

[edit]Actually just read an ending that makes more sense - Booker only killed himself after accepting the baptism, so Comstock never existed. But the book that refused the baptism still did, and still had Anna[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I quite liked the ending:
    Wasn't ground breaking or terribly original but I liked how it played out (the realisation that Elizabeth is your daughter and how she lost her finger). There's about a solid 15 - 20 minute wrap up after you're done shooting the final bullet, which I liked, rather than killing the boss and then instant credits..........leaving me a bit cold that the game has suddenly ended.

Solid game for me which I'll return to for the 1999 mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

its interesting how the ending changes some perspective
    combstock didnt lie to slate or the world about his involvement in the events of little big horn etc, he just embraced it from his nutso religious perspective over booker's guilt ridden one, I wonder if he had told slate he was booker would he have rebelled? The age problem still persists as a problem to me, I would have thought slate would have made some comment on booker looking so young if he is meant to be combstock's age, maybe I missed it.

also
    I missed 10 recordings out of the 68 in total which I really want to find now, mostly I'd like to know how Preston's (the big game hunter who adopts the native american kid) story came to a close. last one I found was that he and the kid where going after combstock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

BlitzKrieg, re: age. Comstock's older appearance is due to accelerated aging (and cancers?) caused by his constant mucking about with other tears/universes. The female Lucrete mentions it in one of the audio recordings.

One thing that didn't hang doesn't hang well together is that Comstock's worldview of blacks/chinese/etc... is totally at odds (seemingly) with Booker's worlview. Was there an explanation for this?

Looking forward to giving this a playback and picking up all the little nods that I missed :) e.g. thinking back to the hotdog seller ... "and one for your daughter".

Vokes wrote: »
    BlitzKrieg, re: age. Comstock's older appearance is due to accelerated aging (and cancers?) caused by his constant mucking about with other tears/universes. The female Lucrete mentions it in one of the audio recordings.

Ahh that must have been 1 of the 10 I missed.

One thing that didn't hang doesn't hang well together is that Comstock's worldview of blacks/chinese/etc... is totally at odds (seemingly) with Booker's worlview. Was there an explanation for this?

religion?

Booker is not necessarily a modern man who embraces people of all ethnic and cultures, but he is a man who has lived with guilt for a number of years. I also assume his work as a pinkerton came after wounded knee so I'd imagine he developed a very cynical view of the world (as noted from some of the loading screen comments, a welcher is always a welcher) while comstock has had that guilt wiped away by religion and embraces american exceptionlism in its most horrific manners.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

People may want to brush up their quantum mechanics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

And explicitly in the game:
    Comstocks planning board on his airship showed where he was picking his preferred branch each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

One of the major things that annoyed me about the ending was that I'd already called DeWitt as being Comstock but at the point you kill Comstock I inspected his right hand yet there was no AD writ upon it so I assumed I was wrong.

Overall it was an excellent game though sadly suffers the same fate as anything which attempts timetravel and dimension(probability?) hopping in that the story loses the run of itself and causality goes out the window. They also assume two conflicting views of timetravel. Will probably play it again as I think some things will stand out more now that I know what to look for (and I should probably not play it on 1999 mode as it was damn tough in parts).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

One of the major things that annoyed me about the ending was that I'd already called DeWitt as being Comstock but at the point you kill Comstock I inspected his right hand yet there was no AD writ upon it so I assumed I was wrong.

DeWitt only branded his hand after giving away Anna/Elizabeth, so Comstock couldn't have the brand.

• Advertisement

One of the major things that annoyed me about the ending was that I'd already called DeWitt as being Comstock but at the point you kill Comstock

Oh I went through a lot of thoughts like that, in one message the wife calls dewitt's child *bastard* and that set me off thinking the reveal was going to be that Elizabeth isnt the lamb but dewitt was in some far stretched way.

Dropped that fairly early on for alternative dimension versions when I clicked who the twins were, but I was swapping dewitt for elizabeth because of the whole age thing again and not comstock and dewitt, which is why I never really jumped on him being her father until the last third of the game. Also the fact I wasnt getting a fatherly protective vibe from the dewitt and elizabeth relationship.

The game came very close to going into and I'll spoiler tag this for those who have not seen the film:
    Oldboy territory with how I was perceiving booker's and elizabeth up until the asylum,

Advertisement