Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Anglers Rest - A plaice :-) for fishy tales - it was HOW big !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

got 3 pike on ree yesterday none of any size all on a blue fox, recommended by dvd-lots:D

between 2 of us today we got 7 trout on cloghan lake, dries and wets, 2 fish at around 1lb 8oz or so, were the best

back to cloghan tomorrow, lake is closing from end of month, so probably the last trip, when is lough aisling closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Aisling is open all year round as its only rainbows in the main lake, happy days. :)

cloghan didnt fish well today, 1 small brownie all day.... good few anglers there, and no one had good fishing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

5lb pike on Lough Allua, other fella got a couple of small ones. Chaps in the other boat caught a 20lb'er

Was at Aisling on Saturday, very cold and bright but had 2 good fish on large black and green lures. They drove us mad by jumping out of the water cleaning themselves, had me convinced they were feeding on the surface for a while....:rolleyes:

One of the lads had 3 in the morning while we won't mention the other poor lad who didn't even get a pull (broke his reel, ended up using river rod and reel, blamed everything on the fish being diseased and then Liverpool could only manage a draw, worst day ever for him really.... :) )

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Was at Aisling on Saturday, very cold and bright but had 2 good fish on large black and green lures. They drove us mad by jumping out of the water cleaning themselves, had me convinced they were feeding on the surface for a while....:rolleyes:

One of the lads had 3 in the morning while we won't mention the other poor lad who didn't even get a pull (broke his reel, ended up using river rod and reel, blamed everything on the fish being diseased and then Liverpool could only manage a draw, worst day ever for him really.... :) )
    :D:D:D oh i had one of those type days last time in cloghan if i got one knot in leader i got about 8 or 10!!!!! and i was only fishing 2 flies!!! got one sprat all day and couldnt wait to get out of there:D
    PS; when i say knot i mean birds nest!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alancro

Only started getting back into fishing again this summer after a break for a few years. so i went out armed with lugs, razorclams and some mackeral...
    Two nice coalies for my trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

There are 6 copies of the complete illustrated directory of salmon flies by chriss mann, without dust jackets, for 10 euro in the hodges figgis sale.
    Also the fox sea guide to modern sea angling for 8 euro, about 20 copies on the table next to the sports section.
    The salmon flies directory normally sells for over 40 euro but they have no dust jackets and are a bit shop worn.

• Advertisement

Sh*t fishermen say......yip, all true.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Is it sh1t fishermen say or what sh!t fishermen say??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Got two little trout today on a march brown my first day out this season, I've missed it so much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Just saw in the paper that Garryhill was closed due to a bad fishkill. Anyone else hear anything?

20lb 3oz pike today on lough ree caught by my 14yr old son:)

bayliner wrote: »

Has the pupil become the teacher so?! :p

Tell him if he's big enough to pull in fish like that he's big enough to carry your gearbag and make the tea too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

SeaFields wrote: »

Has the pupil become the teacher so?! :p

Tell him if he's big enough to pull in fish like that he's big enough to carry your gearbag and make the tea too!
    Ha ha that's true ah I'd say the kid is delighted

Ha ha that's true ah I'd say the kid is delighted
    grinning like a cheshire cat all day:D, his previous best was 10lb 7oz!!! and his kid sister has one 11lb 6oz from last yr so the slagging has intensified now :D..
    i thought him all he knows:D:D:D... caught on a lure i heard of on here actually!!! good man dvd lots:D

grinning like a cheshire cat all day:D, his previous best was 10lb 7oz!!! and his kid sister has one 11lb 6oz from last yr so the slagging has intensified now :D..
    i thought him all he knows:D:D:D... caught on a lure i heard of on here actually!!! good man dvd lots:D

Hahaha, nice one Bayliner, my secret is out!!!! shhhh...... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

a local man tell a few tail's:

jesus lads i was fishing the joinings after a big flood mighty fine black water and on the 5th cast the rod was nearly taken from my grip. Well i gave a savage 40 min's wrestling this fish and he was coming in lovely belly side up, i put back my hand to unclip the net and nothing, OH lord didnt i forget the net, high bank and massive deep water,only for an old oak tree on the bank i cut the line and tied around the tree so i could dash home for the net, 10 min's i was gone when i landed back to the river again and my oh my was he some fish.... GONE not a sign of the oak tree he'd the hole lot pulled in and gone .. ah lads he must have been a crock.........

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

25lb 2oz Trout caught today on Lough Corrib :eek:

SaKuRa wrote: »
    25lb 2oz Trout caught today on Lough Corrib :eek:

One pound short of the lake caught brown trout ecord if its confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

Good to see though, its close to the record weight going back to 1894

Welsh fellow caught it trolling a 3/4lb deadbait

good day on the fly, hooked 16 landed 12 at cloghan fishery:D

only disappointment was lost a fish when the leader snapped right at the fly line!!! wont be buyin that sh1te again!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Went out on Kit Dunnes boat out of wicklow harbour on saturday morning, only got 9 poxy dogfish, my da got 10, my uncle caught a 10 pound thornback ray and a load of dogfish, my cousin caught a rake of dogfish as well and Kit himself caught a 40 pound Tope, absolute beaut of a thing. I'd recommend Kit's boat to anybody looking for a charter boat. it was 30 quid for 4 hours of fishing and he supplies all the rods but we had our own. Very nice lad as well, definitely worth a shot if you're looking to get out on a boat this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

NORTH1 wrote: »

Christ, I though parts of Ballyreen were bad :o Was talking to a neighbour that fished there years ago the other day and he said the fishing was hectic there. Is it still accessabile since they blasted it? Have never been there and dont intend to fish there given its reputation but would like to see just how dangerous it is with my own 2 eyes.....I still doubt the 5 meter swell would sweep you off the top of that cliff though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Went out on Kit Dunnes boat out of wicklow harbour on saturday morning, only got 9 poxy dogfish, my da got 10, my uncle caught a 10 pound thornback ray and a load of dogfish, my cousin caught a rake of dogfish as well and Kit himself caught a 40 pound Tope, absolute beaut of a thing. I'd recommend Kit's boat to anybody looking for a charter boat. it was 30 quid for 4 hours of fishing and he supplies all the rods but we had our own. Very nice lad as well, definitely worth a shot if you're looking to get out on a boat this summer.

I'm presuming that was 30 a head was it? Does he just charge per head or is there a fixed price for the boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

thehamo wrote: »
    I'm presuming that was 30 a head was it? Does he just charge per head or is there a fixed price for the boat?

Yeah it's 30 a man for the 4 hours, I'm not sure how the prices are for a full day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Caught my first ever bass this evening and I wasnt even fishing for them :D

Advertisement