Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need some advice please

Options
  • 05-03-2014 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

OK I had a mishap in my car on Monday,clipped the pillar/gate on the way in to the driveway,

Had a quote of approx €700 to fix,

Now what I'm wondering is it worth fixing or would i be better selling it as is and then put the money for repairs to another car,probably from the bangeronmics thread,

Car is a 04 Megane Estate in excellent condition,bar the the above,80 000 miles all the usual extras,timing belt done approx 10,000 miles ago,NCT til August,tax till May,

Here is the pictures of the damage,can anybody offer some advice please,and yes I know I'm a plonker for doing the damage in the first place :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cathalobrien

I would take it to garage and avoid the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

I would take it to garage and avoid the hassle.

And do what?
    Sell it,get it fixed?

Sorry its not clear from your post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'd get it repaired, better the devil you know, car has reasonable mileage , timing belt work etc. You could shop around for a few more quote but it is quite a bad hit €700 seems ok you don't want oo cheap or you'll get what you pay for as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

I personally wouldn't bother fixing it and just drive it as is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

@OP: were you going to sell the car anyway or is it just the knock that has you in the "time to change" mood or perhaps the knock with the impending NCT ?

If the car is treating you well mechanically, and you actually like the motor, then stomp up the money and repair it. Alternatively, you could wait another 8 weeks, book the car in May for NCT 3 mths before the due date, see how it fares out, then make the call ;)

EDIT: Just looked at the 3rd picture. Jesus, it looks like you tore it off a large can opener ! Based on that pic, i'd say it'll fail anyway. Eitherway, if you're not going to act quickly, at least get some rust inhibitor onto the exposed parts.

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    @OP: were you going to sell the car anyway or is it just the knock that has you in the "time to change" mood or perhaps the knock with the impending NCT ?

If the car is treating you well mechanically, and you actually like the motor, then stomp up the money and repair it. Alternatively, you could wait another 8 weeks, book the car in May for NCT 3 mths before the due date, see how it fares out, then make the call ;)

EDIT: Just looked at the 3rd picture. Jesus, it looks like you tore it off a large can opener ! Based on that pic, i'd say it'll fail anyway. Eitherway, if you're not going to act quickly, at least get some rust inhibitor onto the exposed parts.

Just the knock tbh,I was getting itchy feet but the car has been very good for a Renault lol,

I think it was the gate hinge that ripped it open,was thinking I might just gaffer tape it temporarily,and see how I feel in a few months time when it gets nearer to the NCT,dont have the cash now anyway tbh,

Is it sellable as is do you think?

wiz569 wrote: »
    Is it sellable as is do you think?
    Worth buttons in its current state, sorry to say.

Worth buttons in its current state, sorry to say.

Figured as much m8,but thanks,

If I was to diy that rip with isopon,without painting or getting it perfect,would it be OK for the NCT?

wiz569 wrote: »
    Figured as much m8,but thanks,

If I was to diy that rip with isopon,without painting or getting it perfect,would it be OK for the NCT?
    I guess you'd be ok if it was not a botch job. But do bear in mind that it is an art. Very tricky prepping and finishing, never mind the paint application. Personally, I'd shop around. You might do better than original quote but if the rest is as clean as you say, 10 yr old or not, it'd be a shame to make a pigs ear of the repair.

I guess you'd be ok if it was not a botch job. But do bear in mind that it is an art. Very tricky prepping and finishing, never mind the paint application. Personally, I'd shop around. You might do better than original quote but if the rest is as clean as you say, 10 yr old or not, it'd be a shame to make a pigs ear of the repair.

I understand that m8,I'm purely talking from a "getting it through the NCT" point of view,as in how fussy would they be regarding the repair?

• Advertisement
Advertisement